Does sweep exist in all CMA styles?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Does sweep exist in all CMA styles?

Postby johnwang on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:33 pm

wiesiek wrote:SC clip is unavalible >:(

This one on my website will always be available. If you compare this 2 clips, You can see that both arts are using the Gi grip to protect their opponent from hard falling. This part of Gi benefit is usually ignored by people who like no Gi training. The amout of emphasising on the "entering strategy" are diferent between 2 arts. A SC guy likes to sweep when his opponent has 100% weight on one leg (GM Chang's clip at 0.17). Judo guy may use different approach instead.

http://johnswang.com/Chang_sc_3.WMV

Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby chimerical tortoise on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Last class I asked my sifu about the usage of sweeps in VT/WC. He said that they do exist, but is of the opinion that the straight kick is more desirable to use. The more I thought about it, according to the ving tsun method taught, his preference is sensible.
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby nianfong on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:04 pm

wiesiek wrote:Mifune ashi waza skilz are legendary -bow-
SC clip is unavalible >:(

just click here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhALaS1D ... r_embedded
nianfong
Administrator

Postby wiesiek on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:22 am

Thank you Nian,
i sow this clip some time ago,
very good demo -bow-
and
i happy to note, that
master protect uke by not losing contact with his arm
- no gi involved John ;)
gi is two bladed sword
you can use it to protect uke
or
to add some exta velocity for throws -bolt-
anyway
excellent addition for trainings/sparrings and learning in healthly /sporty/ eviroment
Last edited by wiesiek on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:16 am

Does the Taiji lotus kick use the same principle as the sweep?

- When you sweep, your leg will kick forward while your upper body twists into the opposite direction, so you can use your arm to pull your opponent's shoulder, and force him to fall backward. You divide your body in 2 sections here.
- When you apply lotus kick, you use your body to pull your leg. Your body and your leg are moving toward the same direction. You whole body work as 1 unit here.

The beginning of the lotus kick (outside crescent kick) may look like a sweep but the "principle" is different. It just likes the beginning of a hook punch may look like a jab but the "body manchanic" is different.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:27 am

johnwang wrote:Does the Taiji lotus kick use the same principle as the sweep?

- When you sweep, your leg will kick forward while your upper body twists into the opposite direction, so you can use your arm to pull your opponent's shoulder, and force him to fall backward. You divide your body in 2 sections here.

That's obviously the case as you can see in the material I provided.

johnwang wrote:- When you apply lotus kick, you use your body to pull your leg. Your body and your leg are moving toward the same direction. You whole body work as 1 unit here.

The beginning of the lotus kick (outside crescent kick) may look like a sweep but the "principle" is different. It just likes the beginning of a hook punch may look like a jab but the "body manchanic" is different.

In the lotus kick I practice, you first twist the body in the opposite direction of the right leg. Then you release the tension and the leg goes to the right while the body -again- twists in the opposite direction. Body and right leg never go toward the same direction. Both parts of the movement can be used to fell the opponent by hitting him in one direction and kicking him the other direction below.

But I guess no matter what I will tell you, you already made up your mind about how taiji is and what it is lacking. :-\

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:48 pm

cdobe wrote:But I guess no matter what I will tell you, you already made up your mind

The main discussion is not to say that every style should contain everything. Instead, which style will have the best training method. LF has round house kick but every LF guys will agree that MT's round house kick training method is better.

Different styles will have different emphasis. When you said that boxing doesn't have throws, a boxer will say, "You are right that boxing has no throws." If you say that CMA doesn't have ground fight, CMA guys may want to argue you to death. This is why we all need "cross training". The MMA idea existed in CMA community long before the word "MMA" was even invented. Everybody in CMA community know that if you want to train:

- chain punches, you pick WC.
- chain kicks, you pick LF.
- leg twist, you pick SC.
- Mo Pan Shou, you pick PM.
- taiger climb mountain, you pick Baiji.
- spin back kick, you pick TKD.
- round house kick, you pick MT.
- mount, you pick BJJ.

Whether we have "sweep" in our system or not is not important. The important is whether we train it and make it as part of "our own skill set". Whatever is in my style is mine. As long as you let me see it, whatever is in your style is also mine.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:51 pm

johnwang wrote:The main discussion is not to say that every style should contain everything. Instead, which style will have the best training method. LF has round house kick but every LF guys will agree that MT's round house kick training method is better.

We were talking about a specific technique and Wu Taiji does have this particular technique. I don't claim that we have every technique, but I do feel that I have all that I need anyway. :)

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 am

so
i would like to ask
do we really have any "pure style" ?

i think, that we are living in MMA enviroment quite some time...

right now even judo guys claims punches as a part of the style ;)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan