Who Was T. T. Liang's Teacher?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Who Was T. T. Liang's Teacher?

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:34 pm

Tom wrote:Before Bruce Lee even knew what "cha cha" was, or Guangzhou Beauty started setting its innumerable video selections to irritatingly cloy strains of traditional Chinese musical instruments . . . Liang was dancing the night away with the mistresses of Shanghai crimelords.

Yeah, baby! Liang may have had snow on his roof, man, but he still had a frickin' fire in the furnace. ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:01 pm

Trying to find an old post of docs, came across this.
It's taken from what Liang published in his book.
http://www.tctaichi.org/biographies/lineage.htm
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby TaoJoannes on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:36 pm

Yep, and going strong, judging by the newsletters.

What I was told regarding the split was that, yes, CMC was his first, real, primary teacher of TJQ, and he encouraged his seeking out other teachers. Master Liang visited Taoist Monk Yang who told him that, when done properly, the calf muscles of the supporting leg in "golden rooster" should be loose and supple and that this condition took decades of conditioning to achieve.

When Liang came back he asked CMC to assume the golden rooster posture, and when he felt his calf, reportedly remarked that it was "like wood". CMC was severely insulted, kicked him out, and as far as I know nary a civil word passed between them again, even when Master Liang bumped into CMC on the New York Subway and proceeded to drop and kowtow right there on the grimy pavement.

Of course, this could have been told wrong by who I heard it from, or heard wrong by me, please don't send the ninjas.
Last edited by TaoJoannes on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan