The Centerline...

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The Centerline...

Postby H2O on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:10 pm

C.J.Wang wrote:Ian,

How do you define "crossing the center line?"

To me, it is anytime the line of force between you and your opponent crosses your own center.
Keep in mind that I'm talking about pressure and angle here. I can face you sideways and still maintain center.
H2O
Great Old One

Postby H2O on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:30 am

Ian wrote:-the throw at 2:08
-the rnc at 2:20
-the wrist grab from 2:30
-guard to mount at 2:48

etc

Are all impossible to do without crossing the centerline.

At 2:08, the line of force is from Fedor's hip to the other guys sternum. Fedor's arms stay in line with the hips all the way over. The centerline is never crossed as the hips and shoulders remain on the same plane throughtout the throw.

Same situation at 2:20. The hips and shoulders stay aligned on the same plane. Centerline is maintained.

When his left hand moves across his body at 2:30, you'll notice his torso rotates as well. He keeps both hands in front of his sternum the whole time which means he keeps his force in front of him. He never crosses Center.

Same thing with the hips and shoulders at 2:48. They stay in the same plane so the body moves as a single unit.

I'm not even using Tai Chi theory to explain this stuff. This is how I was taught to do the techniques in BJJ.
H2O
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:41 am

Center and centerline ... two different things ... Fedor always knew exactly where the bulk of his weight was and was able to put it where he wanted it .
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:24 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:Center and centerline ... two different things ... Fedor always knew exactly where the bulk of his weight was and was able to put it where he wanted it .

Pretty much always true of Fedor but in this video, probably since they are just casually moving around and Fedor looks twice as wide as Mousasi, he really seems carved out of one block.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan