uproot both feet not just one

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

uproot both feet not just one

Postby everything on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:17 pm

maybe this is only a CMC thing or a Yang thing or whatnot but I was just reading something about uprooting both feet at the same time, not just the front foot, in push hands. know anything about this?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: uproot both feet not just one

Postby johnwang on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:27 pm

It will be great if you can take your girl to bed, kiss her and have sex with her at the same time on your 1st date. It will be OK too if you can kiss her on the 1st date and have sex with her on the 2nd date. The difference is whether it takes 1 day to achieve your goal or take 2 days instead. The end result is all the same.

Uproot both feet at the same time if you can. Uproot the front foot first and then uproot the back foot later otherwise. I have always thought this is just "common sense" in our daily life which has nothing to do with CMA styles.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:52 pm

lol
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby H2O on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:00 pm

It's just one of those things that happens when everything lines up right. I get it every now and then, but never when I try to make it happen. CC Chen could do it pretty much at will though.

It's really not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. It's just one of those cool things that happens from time to time.
H2O
Great Old One

Postby ppscat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi everything,

I practiced tonight just that with my teacher. It's easier when you make your opponent do a step forward first, and so use some of his momentum. Below you can see some clips with some kind of cooperation. In the first the piston is made on the opponent mainly, while in the second in the defender:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iHEdjIcRJU

Here watch at 0:38, 1:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZQUaaP4 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFDjQUrdtAQ

ppscat
Anjing

Postby everything on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:07 pm

thanks i know maybe doing this actual thing is not a big deal but i'd like to feel it to get an idea of it for whatever else
everything
Wuji

Postby H2O on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 pm

It feel kinda cool. When it gets done to you, it feels like you're pushing into a spring and it just launches you out. When you pull it off, it doesn't feel like anything. When I first started making it happen, I thought people were fucking with me, jumping away because I honestly didn't do anything.
H2O
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:22 pm

lol sounds fun at least for laughs, but seems like it should also give you an indicator you have this springiness and to go up-go down thing going right.
everything
Wuji

Postby middleway on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:43 am

fairplay ... that Mr Park in the second video has something very good. Prob the most centred Taiji Push hands guy I have seen.

Thanks

Chris
Last edited by middleway on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:55 am

that second video is really cool. gives an idea how this skill should be transitioned/included into an application
everything
Wuji

Postby C.J.Wang on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 am

The Park dude's clips have been posted numerous times for the past couple of years here and there. He's got some interesting skill for sure -- very "wavy" comparing to other Taiji teachers I've seen.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby QuaiJohnCain on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:35 am

everything wrote:maybe this is only a CMC thing or a Yang thing or whatnot but I was just reading something about uprooting both feet at the same time, not just the front foot, in push hands. know anything about this?

What were you reading from?
QuaiJohnCain

Postby johnwang on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:58 am

The reason that your opponent can uproot you because your body has no connection to his body. If you "hook" your body on his body, since both of your bodies are combined as one unit, his root will become your root. There is no way that he can uproot you this way. Unfortunately, leg bite, leg sticky, leg twist, wrist grab, elbow grab, waist control, leg hold, head lock, reverse head lock, under hook, over hook, ... are not allowed to be used in Taiji push hands, this make the uproot happen much more often than usually. By following the Taiji PH rules, you can develop certain skill (such as glue sticky), but at the same time, because the rules, it prevents you from developing other kind of skill (such as hook sticky).

For example, if your right leg hook (or twist) on your opponent's right leg, no matter how hard that your opponent tries, he cannot uproot you. This is the beauty of the "hook sticky". To connect by hook is more secure than to connect by glue. Taiji PH does trained a lot of "glue" principle but not "hook" principle IMO.

Another example, if you ask 2 Taiji guys to put on SC jacket or Judo Gi and allow grip then you won't be able to see that many uprooting as happened in PH.

I had asked this question before. If I hold on your wrist and you uproot me, what will happen after that? My body may fly in the air (assume this is possible), since my arm is connected to your arm, I'll land right back on the same spot just like nothing had happened. Your uprooting effort will be wasted IMO. In order to make your uprooting effort effective, you have to break my grip and that will lead into "grip fight", another area that Taiji PH does not cover.

When we talk about certain skill development, we should not just look from "how we are going to apply". We should also look from "how our opponent may response". This way we will not narrow our training in certain style boundary. Our training will be able to apply in much general area, and deal with opponents from different styles.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:32 am, edited 10 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:09 am

johnwang wrote:Another example, if you ask 2 Taiji guys to put on SC jacket or Judo Gi and allow grip then you won't be able to see that many uprooting as happened in PH.

I had asked this question before. If I hold on your wrist and you uproot me, what will happen after that? My body may fly in the air (assume this is possible), since my arm is connected to your arm, I'll land right back on the same spot just like nothing had happened. Your uprooting effort will be wasted IMO. In order to make your uprooting effort effective, you have to break my grip and that will lead into "grip fight", another area that Taiji PH does not cover.

When we talk about certain skill development, we should not just look from "how we are going to apply". We should also look from "how our opponent may response". This way we will not narrow our training in certain style boundary. Our training will be able to apply in much general area, and deal with opponents from different styles.

yes, totally different with a jacket on. one grip on the jacket can be like 1,000 contact points pulling you all over. the overlap between styles can break down and get into some other kinds of difficulties. I don't think the grip has to be broken but maybe because I'm thinking in a judo sport context where you can go to the ground as necessary.

QuaiJohnCain wrote:

What were you reading from?

CMC simplified method book
everything
Wuji

Postby ShortFormMike on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:30 pm

funny you mention CMC because i immediately thought of that part in the book by him and robert smith that basically says "if one of your opponent's legs comes up and wheels around, your technique needs work."

CMC really inculcated that in his students--both feet must leave the ground. "work clean" is what my teacher said he was told. consequently that's what happens the vast majority of the time. it looks cool too which is the most important aspect.
if it doesn't make sense, it's because I'm "typing" with Swype or using android's voice to text, which is pretty damn good by the way
ShortFormMike
Huajing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan