Strikes and steps

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Strikes and steps

Postby johnwang on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:54 pm

This clip shows 3 steps 3 strikes drill (1 step for each strike). I also like to drill 2 steps 3 strikes, 1 step 3 strikes, 2 steps 1 strike, 3 step 1 strikes (running strike - strike when you are running forward). Do you train your drills with different footwork so you can apply different Fajin methods (such as coordinate your Fajin with your front leg or back leg)?

Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Strikes and steps

Postby chimerical tortoise on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Not really. Sometimes, a simple opposite foot/hand, step/strike shuffle, small steps.

In VT at the moment, more so working on developing power by isolating the centre onto one foot, and shi li from single stand, it seems easier to relax via balance with less of a base to work with.
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby Michael Dasargo on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:58 pm

In mantis, it is paramount because the most common error is squaring up as we take full strides forward. It also helps develop striking power and quickness.

Steal stepping, slide stepping, monkeys steps, etc helps keep a bit more bladed as we advance.

Here is sample progression:
1 Step 3 hands (monekey step=3 arrivals bursting power)
2 step 3 hands (steal step = cast and reel rotational power)
3 step 5 hands (monkey followed by steal step)

Mike
Last edited by Michael Dasargo on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Dasargo
Anjing

Postby jjy5016 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:52 pm

That's one reason for the free form jian wu of yiquan. Step and strike in all directions. Practice different steps, strikes and directions. Go from off balance to perfect balance. Time the strikes with the steps. My teacher would scold me if I didn't change directions often and use baguazhang's stepping for turns.

As for the techniques with the steps, well that seems to vary from person to person depending on the other systems they studied like taiji, hsingyi, shaolin etc.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:57 pm

johnwang wrote: Do you train your drills with different footwork so you can apply different Fajin methods (such as coordinate your Fajin with your front leg or back leg)?

all the time!
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:14 pm

Do you train your drills with different footwork so you can apply different Fajin methods (such as coordinate your Fajin with your front leg or back leg)?

When digging and pitching (for example) you'll never keep the same stance. Your fajin is always coming from a different orientation of foot placement and weightedness. The alignment changes with each new shovelful. It's no different when you fight.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:47 pm

That's exactly what I believe. There was a thread that discussed whether XingYi punch should coordinate with front foot or back foot. IMO, we should be able to do both.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:51 pm

If you can't mix and match them effectively, you can't fight with it, period. Anything which requires specific choreography to work isn't combat viable against anyone but uncommitted simp.
Chris McKinley

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan