"I can use my taiji for fighting"

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: "I can use my taiji for fighting"

Postby cdobe on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:41 am

kenneth delves wrote:Some while ago I posted a friend's video[on the other forum] which had the CMC TCC done at regular and fast speed showing how it would be used for fighting. He is a training partner, his stuff is deadly[as a law officer he has used it often in 'real' situations]. he is a 25 year veteran of the IMA. The reaction: one from a comparitive beginner saying it shouldnt be done that way, another from a self appointed judge of videos who has never posted his experience but feels he knows everything saying all the postures etc were wrong. I was tempted to invite them to NY to try out my friend and have reality check but why bother, needlessto say I wont be posting any more videos

Kenneth,
would you mind pointing me to the posting with your friends video? It seems that I missed it. I search it on the other forum, and even found out that your alias over there was ghostdancer, but I didn't find the thread.

TIA
CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby kenneth delves on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:41 am

Re video, I dont have access to it and couldnt find it 'over there'.If any of you are in NYC however
I could arrange a meeting.
Dmitri, no it wasnt you, I have no problem with criticism directed at me[I've had my run-ins with bt's cohorts in the past]but I was embarassed by the response.
It wasnt just pique, I was trying to make two points:
If you study an IMA you have to take it apart to understand it not just to do what is considered the 'conventional' form. Do it as a mirror image, do it fast, do it slow, do it 'in a telephone box'
do it backwards etc-then you start getting a deeper understanding.
Secondly dont rush to judgement particuarly if it is to impress your fellow board members
The old Chinese method was to show it to you briefly then you had to figure it out, if you didnt you were too stupid to learn it, when you showed your aptitude over a period of time the real teaching would begin, tough , yes, but when you got it you owned it
kenneth delves
Great Old One

Postby river rider on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:02 am

hey johnwang... another post about about taiji players in denial about yang, I see... I guess my experience has been a little different than yours... I've only heard this kind of thing from practitioners who DON'T fight, and some beginners in fighting... I have heard criticisms about depending on yang, leading with yang, using too much yang, not learning to use yin or understanding it... but all the source material about this art seems to be clear about alternating yin and yang, supporting one with the other, playing yin to your opponent's yang and viceversa, and so on. I think taiji has a specialization in using yin, and I think the masters who brought the art out into the general public talked more freely about yin aspects and kept the yang side much more to themselves... and since most practitioners only go a little way down a long long road they're apt to speak from a point of vast ignorance. but I haven't heard this from people who hit and get hit, throw and get thrown... or even those who seriously read and think about the corpus of written material on taiji. So I'm curious... what kind of taiji players are you talking to?
river rider
Anjing

Postby Pat on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:32 am

ashe wrote:
Pat wrote:off subject-

a guy at work had this wallet.

i challenged him on the spot to a friendly match.

if you carry that wallet, you better be a BMF. you gotta back it up. i'm just saying.

ok, back to the real thread!

so is the wallet now in your possesion?

it had better be...

:D

OWNED BY ASHE!!! -faint-

nope, the guy put the wallet back into his back pocket and tucked his tail.

i am no BMF, so this wallet will do me no good!

he is a nice guy, just a poser. he also wore an Affliction shirt. i said "wow, so are you training? or just a fan like me?" he said "no, man. these shirts are SICK! i love it!" i told him they are a MMA-based clothing company. he said "oh, i didn't know that". he knew. he just wears the clothes and things to get girls. -blah-

he knew. he is just a poser.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby Bär on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 am

What I don't understand is that it's pretty much agreed (work with me here) that Tai Chi is an advanced art - a grad level finishing school as it were. I think that assumes you have a good handle on other arts that taught you strikes, locks and throws. You don't go to grad school to learn the basics.

(Yang moreso than Chen)Tai Chi has moves that are unique to the system, but for me it's a great body method & power generation technique more than a set of applications.

Sure - some people start out with Tai Chi and learn apps well - I'm not talking about exceptions. Starting from absolute scratch in TJQ is a long row to hoe in my book.
Last edited by Bär on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:48 am

johnwang wrote:- The Taiji master and the BMF meet on the beach during the sun set.
- The BMF moves around the Taiji master.
- The Taiji master waits.
- Suddenly, ...

Anybody wants to help me to finish this scene? Let's assume this is a death match and only one person can come out alive.

Still, nobody want to help me to design this "fighting script"?

When Wu Kung-Yi boxed in Macau, people siad "That wasn't Taiji." When Hwang Sin-Sian wrestled in Singapore, people said, "that wasn't Taiji". So what do we expect a Taiji master suppose to look like in a perfect Taiji fighting scene? Without a clear picture on this, this discussion will go to nowhere.

river rider wrote:what kind of taiji players are you talking to?

People who think "push" is high level and punch, kick, lock, throw are all low level.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:56 am

-BMF says "what....are you gonna wait all day?"
-Taiji says "I dont really have a choice. You need to feed me something first. You know...because the third principle requires to yield in order to..."
-*SMACK*
-BMF guy knocks Taiji guy out, and says "I lied to you when i said i didnt know what xingyi was. No hard feelings?"
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Josealb, I wish you can get away with this. When I try to show some sense of humor about "Taiji", people chased me with sticks and I had to run like hell.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:14 pm

Taiji master: I will wait for you to attack me and then I will redirect your attack and push you ten feet away
BMF: my name is John Wang and I am allergy to push! *smack* *toss*
Taiji master: ouch, my feelings.... What is this stuff oozing out of my ear and why do you have a spoon? ???
BMF: mmmmm.... Brainz ;D
Last edited by mixjourneyman on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:18 pm

John, and not just any girl. Its a girl in a first date and you havent even been to first base yet. ;)
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:25 pm

Josealb wrote:John, and not just any girl. Its a girl in a first date and you havent even been to first base yet. ;)

Or get her phone number after five months.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Josealb wrote:John, and not just any girl. Its a girl in a first date and you havent even been to first base yet. ;)

I have to delete that part of joke just don't want to upset anybody. This is why I have revisited my post over and over and make sure none of the words that I used may offend anybody. You can tell how difficult it is in any Taiji related discussion (for me any way). One of this days I'll stay away from any Taiji related discussion completely.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:30 pm

Heheh...dont worry i understand perfectly. Ok, back on topic!

Whats the official fight plan of seasoned Taiji guy? what do we expect a Taiji master supposed to look like in a perfect Taiji fighting scene?
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Taiji guy: You have some problem with my board shorts?

BMF: Yeah, they remind me of my stepfather, who used to beat me with beer bottles.

Taiji: That's too bad, would you like to do something about it?

BMF: Yes, I will smash your head and eat your brains! *PUNCH* Hey, how did I wind up with my face in the sand.

Taiji: Seemed like thats where you wanted to be.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Jake on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Again... I don't practice Tai Chi.... But I would tend to think that in any real fight, that one walks aways from safe and sound/fairly safe and sound... Is the perfect Tai Chi fighting scene.

As I said above, if it happens in real life and the other guy is set full on...

Raises a lot of questions.

So again, if it's real and you get away... That's the perfection.

(on one level for you people who nit-pick)
errrrr.............
Jake
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan