Meat Cleaver attack!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Meat Cleaver attack!

Postby AllanF on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:50 pm

So i am in a taxi going home from work on Friday night and i turn into the street towards the temple beside my flat. I see a man mid to late 20s, solidly built guy and about 5ft 10". As we drive towards him i see he has an angry expression on his face and his right hand is clenched into a fist and is purposefully striding forward. Then i glance down towards his left hand and i notice he is carrying a huge meat cleaver, i look behind him and see, what i assume were his friends, all looking a little agitated and worried, some on mobile phones others pulling their comrades after the armed individual. Beyond them were the obligatory group of bystanders who had stopped to watch what may unfold. I looked back at the cleaver carrying man just as we turned around the corner to see him pointing at someone and shouting...after that i am not sure what happened and i found out nothing since.

The event sent a shiver down my spine for sure, and also raised a number of questions.

Firstly how to deal with someone welding a mighty meat clever should they attack you?
Secondly, how to deal with the fear factor?
Do you train to deal with armed attacks regularly? If so what are your methods?
AllanF

Re: Meat Cleaver attack!

Postby cerebus on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:13 pm

AllanF wrote:Firstly how to deal with someone welding a mighty meat clever should they attack you?
Secondly, how to deal with the fear factor?
Do you train to deal with armed attacks regularly? If so what are your methods?

That's actually pretty easy. I run like Hell. No friggin' joke... :o
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:28 pm

It's always good to

- have running shoes on.
- run 4 miles daily.
- spring into your maximum speed daily.
- have a solid oak stick in your car.
- have a walther PPK in your pocket 24/7.
- have a 2nd home in the Amazon jungle.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:36 pm

"Tsai Dao" (vegetable cooking knife), or meat clever as it is called in the West, is one of the common weapons of choice among the Chinese populations worldwide because it's used in cooking and can be literally found in every household's kitchen.

One of the funny Chinese expressions used to warn unfaithful husbands is that,"Don't get caught! Or be chased after by your wife wielding a 'tsai dao.'" ;D

Back to knife disarming, I was told by a senior combat instructor from Taiwan's National Police University that it's almost impossible to walk away from a real knife disarming situation unharmed. At the very least, the defender should expect minor to severe cuts on the arms and hands. So his advice for both trained and untrained individuals, especially the trained due to the over-confidence, is to run away and avoid confrotation as much as possible. Fighting back and disarming are always the last resorts.
Last edited by C.J.Wang on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby AllanF on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:49 pm

CJ Wang re every house hold has one, yup we have 3, which is why i respect my wife sooo much! ;D

Running away would of course be my first course of action, and if it was me the guy was looking for you wouldn't see me for dust. I'd be on the first available flight back to the land of the shirt wearing tree throwers. (Scotland)

However if for example you are cornered with no way out or if you are with some loved ones who would not out run said nutter (and assuming you are not the type to think as long as i can run faster than my loved ones, i'll be ok), then zen me ban? How to deal with?
Last edited by AllanF on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AllanF

Postby klonk on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:59 pm

C.J.Wang wrote:"Tsai Dao" (vegetable cooking knife), or meat clever as it is called in the West, is one of the common weapons of choice among the Chinese populations worldwide because it's used in cooking and can be literally found in every household's kitchen.

One of the funny Chinese expressions used to warn unfaithful husbands is that,"Don't get caught! Or be chased after by your wife wielding a 'tsai dao.'" ;D

Back to knife disarming, I was told by a senior combat instructor from Taiwan's National Police University that it's almost impossible to walk away from a real knife disarming situation unharmed. At the very least, the defender should expect minor to severe cuts on the arms and hands. So his advice for both trained and untrained individuals, especially the trained due to the over-confidence, is to run away and avoid confrotation as much as possible. Fighting back and disarming are always the last resorts.

A Chinese friend of a friend was killed with one of those things--in the kitchen of the restaurant he owned. I think the only lesson is weapons against weapons--empty hands at last resort. I have preached for many years that if you have to defend yourself unarmed, you screwed up somewhere, because you failed properly to prepare for the threats that were possible.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill . So, no, carrying a pistol is not always the answer.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:20 pm

klonk wrote: carrying a pistol is not always the answer.

If you don't like gun, you can always carry a derringer.

http://www.derringerpistol.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfUYmse0L0w
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:25 pm

AllanF wrote:CJ Wang re every house hold has one, yup we have 3, which is why i respect my wife sooo much! ;D

Running away would of course be my first course of action, and if it was me the guy was looking for you wouldn't see me for dust. I'd be on the first available flight back to the land of the shirt wearing tree throwers.

However if for example you are cornered with no way out or if you are with some loved ones who would not out run said nutter (and assuming you are not the type to think as long as i can run faster than my loved ones, i'll be ok), then zen me ban? How to deal with?

Well, you didn't ask me directly, but I'll take a shot at it if I may. It seems to me the best chances (but see my post above--you are already in deeper than you should be) is the early stick-and-adhere approach of taijiquan. By early I mean before he swings the damned thing. Preemptively stick on his forearm and follow, being careful to move out of the way any body parts you want to retain. Your retaliation had better be pretty damned brisk.
Last edited by klonk on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:48 pm

johnwang wrote:
klonk wrote: carrying a pistol is not always the answer.

If you don't like gun, you can always carry a derringer.

http://www.derringerpistol.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfUYmse0L0w

A derringer is a nice thing to have when you can't carry a gun. ;)

We're American, we can arm ourselves in almost any way we like. Some politicians don't know why we think that is a good idea. I say the good people outnumber the bad, and that is a good reason.
Last edited by klonk on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby gosao on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:19 pm

If someone was coming at me with a meat cleaver and I was empty handed I'd seriously just run like a mofo.. those chinese chefs are no joke.

There was just such an attack in my neck of the woods last month! Broomstick versus cleaver.. not a good idea...

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_12652998
gosao
Huajing

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Empty hand skills are there to buy you time to get to your weapon.....learn it, live it, love it.
Chris McKinley

Postby Strange on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:15 am

i was think that maybe..... just maybe, a trained martial artist might be able to make use of the anger and belligerence, instead of becoming afraid of it.... being led by the nose like.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:27 am

Once upon a long time ago, when I was in a knife fighting group, I went up against a guy I was damn sure I could beat. And I would have. If he hadn't picked up the chair and used it as a shield.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:34 am

it's almost impossible to walk away from a real knife disarming situation unharmed. At the very least, the defender should expect minor to severe cuts on the arms and hands. So his advice for both trained and untrained individuals, especially the trained due to the over-confidence, is to run away and avoid confrotation as much as possible. Fighting back and disarming are always the last resorts.

years ago i had an instructor (and good friend) who had been in many many bad situations and had many scars
his advice was about the same....

franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:36 am

Be spontaneous..., if you think, and then fear will get you now and later.

Three seconds rule, if you hesitate more than three seconds, just quit it.
Reason one, because you think, you already fight with yourself before fight with others.
Reason two, you are exposed, the attacker know what you want to do, and arm himself intentionally.
Aikido randori provides the best training we needed. Lots of randori training.

Of course there are tricks to divert attackers intention.
But tricks can only work in certain conditions. Dont push them more than once for the same person. They pick up your sequence.
Such as feint with legs, and if they try to block the leg with cleaver, then push their nose, and keep on hitting them.
(If they dont swing the cleaver much when you feint, dont even think about it, they are good, run and look for then other opportunity, the run can be a feint, so run slow if you want to feint, you will find the cleaver move slower if you are the moving in same direction.)

Also utilize what you have, a pen as weapon or jacket as a partial shield. Anything goes.

Because i am buddhist, so i will just quit. Violence is not good. Unless very necessary.

I once had to stop a friend from getting into a fight, tell him to observe another 3secs, he thought a girl was being harassed.
Later on, he found out it is just an argument between gf and bf, they hugged and kissed.
Hope that help.

Over
Overlord

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan