Meat Cleaver attack!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Meat Cleaver attack!

Postby Andy_S on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:50 am

A meat cleaver will do horrible damage if it connects, but it is NOT an ideal weapon - it has to be swung back before it can chop down or forward. (Or it has to be swung forward before you swing it backward.) Assuming he has not trained with a broadsword and is attacking you with a continuous figure-8 pattern, the backswing is your opening. In my pre-Taiji days, I used to train with soft sticks: Once you know how, it is relatively easy to get inside the arc of the weapon. So the solution is very, very simple: It is all down to timing and getting inside the arc of the weapon. Happy now?

Oh - then there was another question: Courage. Aye - now that is the REAL question.

A knife with a point is more dangerous as it can stab (without being withdrawn) as well as slash, but it does not look as intimidating.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:09 am

The worst stab is the one with twist in the end. It tears the muscle fiber and debilitate the person for life.
So it is very intimidating. Very.

Over
Overlord

Postby gosao on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:10 am

Yeah but a knife won't cleanly decapitate you in one stroke..
gosao
Huajing

Postby gosao on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:37 am

Wing Chun Butterfly knives must be from someone's recognition of the awesomeness that is the meat cleaver. heheh

Last edited by gosao on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
gosao
Huajing

Postby Andy_S on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:21 am

Overlord:

As someone who has some familiarity with cold weapons (as per my post above) I agree that a small poignard is more intimidating than a cleaver - as, tactically, it is more difficult to deal with.

But I think for most people, a cleaver LOOKS more intimidating.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:35 am

I think that folding metal batons are fairly available in China, at least they were in Shanghai... I always told myself to go buy one but honestly, the city wasn't violent enough to warrant it.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:05 pm

Okay! first never use Steven Seagal as an example , and second if you point a gun at someone... Shoot him
Now as for meat cleaver attack Scenario if yuou were in a caband saw the guy walking to his point of attack , his intended victim has plenty of time to get away, if it is a surprise to his victim, he has only his skill, instinct, and reflex to protect him , if you find yourself in that situation, always remember you are the one who must come out alive.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan