Looking for a Staff

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Looking for a Staff

Postby Bill on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:32 pm

I recieved my staves last Friday. I'm quite happy with them. Now I need to go buy a saw in order to cut them to fit me.

Wandering
I've read that in old europe, Ash was the wood of choice. I have a number of oak staves that I've had for decades and that wood works very well as a staff.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:If I wanted to make my own Staff, what type of tree would be Waxwood or comparable?

Waxwood is from the ash family of trees.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Bill on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Good info, I never knew that!

Thanks again Ron
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Drake on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:27 am

However, waxwood is much more flexible/resiliant than ash, and much longer lasting if properly maintained. A 2" base tapering to approximately 1 1/4" to 3/4" is best. My teacher gave me instructions on how to make a waxwood staff virtually indestructible by placing it in a pvc tube (capped at both ends), and filling the container with motor oil. Capping the other end, and putting the container in the garage, or attic for 6 months. Afterward you are to take the staff out, clean it/wipe it down to remove the excess oil, and replace it in the attic/garage for another 6 months to dry/cure. He assured me that this was the best way to avoid/kill any worms, or parasites in the wood, and to make it as indestructible to the sudden force/strains exerted on the staff. Oak may be denser, but is quite brittle under the stresses in M.A. training, and ash is a much better medium if layered like the old English/Welsh long bows.
Best,

Drake
Drake
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:05 am

Drake wrote:However, waxwood is much more flexible/resiliant than ash, and much longer lasting if properly maintained. A 2" base tapering to approximately 1 1/4" to 3/4" is best. My teacher gave me instructions on how to make a waxwood staff virtually indestructible by placing it in a pvc tube (capped at both ends), and filling the container with motor oil. Capping the other end, and putting the container in the garage, or attic for 6 months. Afterward you are to take the staff out, clean it/wipe it down to remove the excess oil, and replace it in the attic/garage for another 6 months to dry/cure. He assured me that this was the best way to avoid/kill any worms, or parasites in the wood, and to make it as indestructible to the sudden force/strains exerted on the staff. Oak may be denser, but is quite brittle under the stresses in M.A. training, and ash is a much better medium if layered like the old English/Welsh long bows.

I don't know about the motor oil - there might be some chemicals in it that are toxic to the skin. Linseed or teak oil might be safer. Banyon wood is supposed to be even better than waxwood, but I have never come across any.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Bill on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:14 am

It seems that the aerial roots of the banyan tree are used as poles.

The wood of the aerial roots is stronger and more elastic; it is used for tent poles, cart yokes, banghy poles and carrying shafts. This makes the roots useful as carrying poles, cart yokes and tent poles. The aerial roots also make good toothbrushes.

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:20 am

Don't lean your staff in a corner, as it will warp-- it needs to lie flat and supported.

Traditionally, waxwood poles are from trees that are grown very slowly. Nowadays, they water them more than they should to make them grow faster, so you end up with a looser, softer grain. Then again, we generally just use them to wave around in the air nowadays, as opposed to using them in life-and-death combat, so I guess maybe it's not all that important.

I've wanted to check out gymnastics supply outlets for poles used on gymnastics equipment. I think it's treated oak. It's flexible and obviously quite strong...
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks
It's leaning in a corner right now. I'll fix that when I get home.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:09 am

Yeah, flat on the ground, in all lengths available now, very short of 1 m up to really 5m, much to big for my hands.

Though based in humid southern Taiwan, my waxwoods, 2m, 2,4m, 2,7m and 3,1m never ever suffered any insect invasion, old allready up to 10 years, wippiy as alw<ays and just great.

I feel it is a question of the producer, his quick/natural production, his sticking to cut in winter time etc. etc.
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:18 am

I am thinking that the best way to keep the wax wood staff
would be to hang it by one end instead of placing on the ground/floor.
If the staff is handled daily it will get cured from your body oils.
roger hao

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan