how much do you work Multiple Opponents?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: how much do you work Multiple Opponents?

Postby H2O on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:02 am

middleway wrote:This is an issue for security personell etc. Deployment of your knife with 3 or 4 people smashing the shit out of your face is the immediate thought to me however. There has to be something preceding that to allow you to deploy your knife ... or to make a gap. Working the things i have mentioned above relate to this.

Chris

That's a different topic entirely than what this thread has turned into. I'm looking at this from a civilian standpoint, it seems that so are most posters from the replies I'm reading. Your goal is to control and restrain, mine is to incapacitate and escape. The primary goal for both of us is de0escalation of course, but considering what we're talking about, I'd say we can assume that has already failed.

Judging from your posts, I'd say you are already very aware of what I'm saying, Chris. I'd like to get your thoughts on the subject; the different considerations of dealing with multiples from a civilian vs. a security mind set.
H2O
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:07 pm

Chris, I have the greatest respect for your knowledge and experience with combatives training. Thanks for sharing your views.

From my own perspective, training isn't real. There is always(?) that innate trust and knowledge among us that the action stops once someone goes oppossum or gives some other sign of surrender. It's hard to remove that pretendness as it is. The trick is to create the mental/emotional state where that measure of safety is forgotten long enough that the experience of that personal isolation is indelibly present in one's mind. As a facilitator/active observer, I believe I need that level of failure to get the bare-bones honesty of a person's responsiveness (perceptual issues and attendant natural movement) at the outset, before work can begin on tactical method based on that framework. Once that honesty has been recognised and respected for what it is, things evolve quite quickly.

... and even young/big/strong/macho males, such issues can exist without either the awareness and/or disclosure of the participant. Full-intensity training in this material can trigger existing issues and can even in some cases cause them from scratch

Agreed. Perceptual and associative issues constitute the glue I use to hold my model of personal combat together. I know that territory very well.

As to "Nobody's going to do that for them in a real situation" as a reasoning for tossing 'em in the deep end, that reason doesn't stack. If it did, that very same reason, verbatim, could just as easily be given for tossing people into the deep end to begin their training in every area of content, not just multiple situations. Since we know from experience that incremental training that proceeds to a high level of intensity produces a superior product to the sink or swim method, the reasoning begins to lose its validity. As illustration, nobody is going to give someone a chance to incrementally learn to handle a firearm correctly, or a knife, stick, etc. in a real confrontation either. Yet that fact is untenable as a reason to start people with live rounds training in a combat handgunnery course before they've even learned to turn the safety on and off and check the chamber for rounds

heh I shouldn't have even written that seeing how far it could be taken. It really has nothing to do with sink-or-swim, though. It's more about exploration followed up with practical solutions which allow a person to predict, merge and deal effectively with pressure. My training is like a safety meeting where everyone's concerns are respected and taken seriously so that personal preventive and/or coping practices can be developed accordingly. If someone wants to learn to swim, they need to get a feel for bouyancy and resistance before they can learn strokes and breathwork. If they want survival swimming skills, they already have a solid foundation of those basics. I believe people already know how to fight. They do it all the time with no training at all. Most of the people I've trained have had that basic truth proven by fire in their first training session. For one-on-one and mass attacks, that approach has stood up well over the years.

If you are concerned with discovering an individual's authentic failure responses under realistic levels of pressure, be assured, an incremental approach to training does not eradicate it

I agree that it doesn't necessarily eradicate the possibility for that discovery at a later date, because it can be introduced at any time. But failure by its very nature is where what is trained breaks down. I think this is where we differ most. I'm only interested in a person's immediate, current responsiveness. And believe me, their first experience with it is something they always laugh about by the end of the training session.

Anyway, you're right in that there is plenty of room for different approaches. I should have been more respectful of your own views and only offered mine as an alternative. I hope my disagreeing wasn't construed as an outright dismissal of your methods. Apologies if I gave that impression.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:27 pm

One of my students has a good traing method that I like. The moment that A throws B down, the moment that C will jump in and start to kick on B's head. My student started this training after a friend of mine, his son was killed by people kicked on his head when his son was down.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Ralteria on Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:47 am

If anyone read this post initialy, I must have screwed something up. Anywhoo..

Back during my Shotokan days we used to train MO with foam bats. It is pretty surprising how well you think you will do initially before you get beat down. However, I think that comfort level and trust and knowledge between simulate and non simulate is garning alot of attention.

Even in a familiar setting with people you've been training with for years, I've seen people break pretty quick. And yes, the amount of pressure that you are putting on someone is going to vary from person to person. While that trust and knowledge is going to be problem in really "simulating" the experience so that the real work can begin, I don't think that it serves in as much of a problem as it's being talked about. Without that trust and knowledge there most people are not going to subject themselves to that kind of abuse (I mean, thats what it is, essentialy we are trying to find a physical and emotional breaking point). Without comfort, trust, and knowledge I think the chances of people able to find and work on overcoming that are slim to begin with. Because, in the end, if I don't know someone I'm not going to train with them like that.

Without that comfort there, you don't have a basis in which you feel comfortable enough to really go deep and explore the possiblity that you may be in a position that has an extremely low surival rate and very little control. I just can't see any real growth without that there to begin with.
Last edited by Ralteria on Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear!!!! For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!!!!
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:47 pm

Shooter,

No worries, man...I appreciate the kind words. I didn't read the exchange as a dismissal or whathaveyou, I just tossed in my explanation for why I use an incremental approach to present the issue of trauma and the role it plays in group attacks. With very few exceptions, multiple opponent training isn't so absolutely necessary that it's worth doing if in the process, participants are being traumatized. I'm looking at it as self-defense being about preserving life...if in the process of learning to do protect oneself against what is presumably a very rare assault occurrence, one loses the quality of that life on a daily basis, it might not be worth that particular pursuit. It's not that that kind of traumatic experience is a particularly common risk, it's just that incremental advancement is an easy way to inocculate against it without compromising the training results. Many if not most of the readers do not likely have significant experience in professionally structured training of this type, so I'm erring on the side of caution in bringing up the issue for consideration.
Chris McKinley

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:18 am

Shooter wrote:"....perceptual issues and attendant natural movement...."

These two factors are top priorities for me, and remain so in every combative engagement of any kind, whether facing one opponent or multiple opponents.
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan