Protecting your material.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Protecting your material.

Postby ashe on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:33 pm

everything wrote: It's especially difficult for those in software or digital fields where the copy of the copy is just as good as the original - not just piracy though, but good open source and/or free software that is not stolen.

the trick is what you do with it. it's expertise that matters not the tool. same applies to martial arts.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby ppscat on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Too much talk about money IMO, and nothing about protecting your material for the honor of your lineage, school, style.

Once you have a critical mass of good students, students attract more students. Then, you don't care that much about protecting your material, nor you would be able to. 70% of the secret stuff is in the basic exercises. Any smart guy from other school could easily pick up a big part of your stuff in probably a semester.

ppscat
Anjing

Postby everything on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:45 pm

ashe wrote:
everything wrote: It's especially difficult for those in software or digital fields where the copy of the copy is just as good as the original - not just piracy though, but good open source and/or free software that is not stolen.

the trick is what you do with it. it's expertise that matters not the tool. same applies to martial arts.

definitely true. as google economist hal varian says, the wine is more important than the bottle. except of course the tool and art seller/creator/lineage holder may have another view. and the bottle and oak casket may actually add value to the wine. google's business is about making the wine accessible via a sophisticated bottle.
Last edited by everything on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:02 pm

Does anybody know whether the following are legal or not?

- You download music from internet and then burn your own CD. If you just listen that CD at home, who is going to complain?
- You use "Jad decompiler" to decompile Java bytecode files (*.class) back to Java source files (*.java). You then modify the .java file and sell as a different product? How can you prove that the new product was a stolen and modified copy?
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:07 pm

1. it depends.
2. it depends.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:09 pm

Depend on what?

There are lots of free music downloads tools that are available online and they all said "100% legal".

By using the "Jad decompiler" to decompile Java bytecode files (*.class) back to Java source files (*.java). You then search with certain keywords and remove certain classes from the Java file, recompile it and get the new class file and send to customer.

This was one of my patent that I can customarize a product if a customer only want to buy certain function but not the other. But in this case, I'm decompile the Jave code that I develop myself. It just make me think, How can I prevent others from doing this?
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:51 pm

I thought the only prevention was terms in the license saying you cannot decompile or reverse engineer.

For the first case, itunes has "digital rights protection" or something like that limiting your use and number of "authorized" computers. Effectively, it seems mainly a negotiating chip for the music industry. Amazon's mp3 sales do not include these usage limitations.
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:55 pm

ppscat wrote:.
Too much talk about money IMO, and nothing about protecting your material for the honor of your lineage, school, style.

Once you have a critical mass of good students, students attract more students. Then, you don't care that much about protecting your material, nor you would be able to. 70% of the secret stuff is in the basic exercises. Any smart guy from other school could easily pick up a big part of your stuff in probably a semester.

if it's not about money or critical mass, there is no issue here. just teach very select few. if it is about critical mass or money, why would that smart guy train there? probably due to the people and training environment as well as the secret stuff.
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:08 pm

The trouble is about getting serious students who can spread the art, not about protecting it.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:08 pm

To be extra childish about it (and to hopefully drive home the point once and for all), my plain old ordinary non-secret-but-well-honed fighting skills will smoke your super-duper-only-my-family-knows-about-it "secret" techniques even on a bad day, and twice on Sundays. If you can't fight, you won't beat me....it doesn't matter what "secret" move you've been shown. So there...nanny nanny boo boo.
Chris McKinley

Postby somatai on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Bao wrote:The trouble is about getting serious students who can spread the art, not about protecting it.

bingo....doesn't matter if people try and rip as long as there are those who can do it proper and make the posers look like posers
somatai

Postby BruceP on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:30 pm

There are lots of training methods and ideas I don't talk about. When I do, I'm vague enough that my ideas get passed over as jib-jab most of the time. Pedants and dictionary goofs blind themselves with semantic acid. I try to make my pearls look like turds.

Some folks get it and I don't make claim to anything when they do. I encourage them to take ownership and to make their own truth from my lies.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:04 pm

how about making students learn a really long form heh heh
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:14 pm

I have told this story before. The prey mantis master Zhang Xiang San 張詳三 only taught his 7 star PM and never taught his 6 harmony PM (LHPM). Onetime he almost died in hostiple. When he was in hostiple, he dreamed about his teacher blamed on him not passing down his 6 harmony PM art. After he got out of hostiple, he "begged" Adam Hsu to study his 6 harmony PM. Adam told him, "Sorry! I just don't have the time."
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:22 pm

johnwang wrote:
gretel wrote:novice students go out and demonstrate what they thought they learned to others,

One of my LF brothers went to Wutang and watched people trained in Xiao Baji. Next week my friend taught that Xiao Baji form to a group of elders for health only.

In the 1st Jinan TCMA tournament, I saw Su Yu Chang demonstrated Da Baiji form. Next year in the 2nd Jinan TCMA tournament, I demonstrated that Dai Baiji form and also the PM Luan Jia form (Su Yu Chang's trade mark form). After my demonstration, Su Yu Chang walked toward me and said, "You just did my forms."

We LF guys love to "steal" - Mine is mine, yours is also mine. ;D

Ha ha... I think "Jaian" (from Doraemon) said that...
edededed
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan