Protecting your material.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Protecting your material.

Postby Bhassler on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:30 pm

Shooter wrote:There are lots of training methods and ideas I don't talk about. When I do, I'm vague enough that my ideas get passed over as jib-jab most of the time. Pedants and dictionary goofs blind themselves with semantic acid. I try to make my pearls look like turds.

Some folks get it and I don't make claim to anything when they do. I encourage them to take ownership and to make their own truth from my lies.

Are you protecting it or are you allowing students to discover it for themselves? Hiding it means you don't want them to have it. Allowing discovery means that when they finally do get it you want them to have it forever.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Bhassler, I don't have students - just training partners. I don't even let them call me coach. I can't stand deference to me or anyone else. One time I shut down a seminar I was hosting as soon as the fool we had as our guest started treating people like children. I told him we were done with him and I paid/attempted to pay everyone back out of my own pocket. They all agreed with me that he was a condescending tool. Never again...

I only protect my material online ;) It's easy
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:58 pm

Haoran wrote:How do you guys go about protecting the material you teach? For instance, Teacher wants to teach (forms, application, etc) but doesn't want Johnny Student/Teacher wannabe to run out and show all his friends what you just taught him thereby killing your chances of getting any of those students. I live in a small town where this type of activity runs rampant (running out and showing 10 ppl what you just learned).

What methods do you employ to protect your material? Contract? Signed Document? Pound his head in the ground if he does?

None of that.

Whoever wants to learn and pays the fee can attend my class, but all they gonna learn are fancy forms and countless applications that'd keep most "MA technique junkies" happy. Only serious, dedicated students who've put in years of hard work learn the internal mechanics, principles, and how to develop real power.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Kelley Graham on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:49 pm

in my experience, without a teacher, all the forms or exercises or whatever are just useless arm waving... the internal is passed through touch. without ongoing practice with a teacher who has something to 'feed' the student, what has been stolen? imo, nothing of value. he's welcome to it.

when this happens, i gain a clear understanding of that person's character and am happy that he is no longer my student. :)

best regards,
Last edited by Kelley Graham on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Isn't it fun to be cryptic about what you do, yet perdiodically point out that "you've been talking about [whatever concept] for ages" and nobody ever listens?

Not directed at anyone in this thread haha ;D
Last edited by Ian on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby mrtoes on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:37 am

C.J.Wang wrote:Whoever wants to learn and pays the fee can attend my class, but all they gonna learn are fancy forms and countless applications that'd keep most "MA technique junkies" happy. Only serious, dedicated students who've put in years of hard work learn the internal mechanics, principles, and how to develop real power.

Hi there,

As a student I really don't understand why anyone would want to keep "the real stuff" secret for years until a student has spent enough time learning fancy forms and countless techniques. I understand that certain skillsets should be build up before other skills can be learnt - some schools like to spend years building up neigong before building up applications for example which is fine - but actually holding back on the good stuff just because the student hasn't proved their dedication seems nonsensicle to me.

The general level of CIMA is critical, bordering on cardiac arrest - why contribute to this decline by withholding the "real deal"?

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:18 am

If you are a qualifeid teacher, no student can teach what you know , so who ever goes out and shows your stuff, if they do it well ,is simply marketing your skill, who wants to learn will come.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:02 am

Just a question: what if the material that's already out there publicly is better than your secret Cap'n Crunch Decoder Ring material?
Chris McKinley

Postby Kelley Graham on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:34 am

Chris McKinley wrote:Just a question: what if the material that's already out there publicly is better than your secret Cap'n Crunch Decoder Ring material?

;D
Kelley Graham
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby Kelley Graham on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:36 am

mrtoes wrote:
C.J.Wang wrote:Whoever wants to learn and pays the fee can attend my class, but all they gonna learn are fancy forms and countless applications that'd keep most "MA technique junkies" happy. Only serious, dedicated students who've put in years of hard work learn the internal mechanics, principles, and how to develop real power.

Hi there,

As a student I really don't understand why anyone would want to keep "the real stuff" secret for years until a student has spent enough time learning fancy forms and countless techniques. I understand that certain skillsets should be build up before other skills can be learnt - some schools like to spend years building up neigong before building up applications for example which is fine - but actually holding back on the good stuff just because the student hasn't proved their dedication seems nonsensicle to me.

The general level of CIMA is critical, bordering on cardiac arrest - why contribute to this decline by withholding the "real deal"?

Matthew.

neigong is the good stuff and the foundation and the application and the.... you get the idea. only if the neigong is good. :)
Kelley Graham
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby jjy5016 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:45 am

When I kao tao'ed to Y. P. Dong he made me sign a paper that I would not show anyone what he taught me after the "ceremony". He retired and moved back to Shanghai so as far as I'm concerned it's mine to do what I wish. I don't show just anyone indescriminately but have shared it with a couple of my old yiquan classmates because I felt they were ready for it.

With my own students I simply tell them this is not for the public. They are paying for it so they should keep it until a time when they are able to teach it properly and only to someone worthy of it. Even with most of the things my recently departed sifu told us to keep secret I'm not very concerned. Most of the students never got to the point where they could do them correctly and pass them on anyway.

Unfortunately.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:49 am

mrtoes wrote:

Hi there,

Matthew.

Well...the topic of discussion is on how to "protect" your material, to which I offered my opinion on what I'd do if I knew the students came to me with the intention to simply learn a few tricks before runing off to another instructor. To sincere students, I'd treat them differently for sure.
Last edited by C.J.Wang on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:57 am

C.J.Wang wrote:Well...the topic of discussion is on how to "protect" your material, to which I offered my opinion on what I'd do if I knew the students came to me with the intention to simply learn a few tricks before runing off to another instructor. To sincere students, I'd treat them differently for sure.

Ah ok I understand, thanks for the clarification.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 am

I try to teach "the real stuff" from day one to anyone who wants to put in the effort to learn it. I don't accept money for instruction and have no desire nor need to "protect" anything.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:11 am

UnCarved wrote:I really don't understand why anyone would want to keep "the real stuff" secret for years until a student has spent enough time learning fancy forms and countless techniques. I understand that certain skillsets should be build up before other skills can be learnt.

In SC system, the teacher won't teach you the counter for throws until much ater. The reason is very simple, All teacher want their students to attack, attack, and attack, act like a tiger and trying to eat their opponent alive. Also if you teach a new student how to counter a hip throw or leg lift, your words just "go into one ear and come out of the other ear" for that student. When you have been defeated by that throw in matches, the teacher then shows you how to counter it, you will remember it for the rest of your life. Sometime when to teach a certain skill is important.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan