Best cardio for fighting

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Best cardio for fighting

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:00 am

while i am reading forrest Griffins book, i found and excellent point he makes in one of his chapters: he talks about his friend that does all the running and circuits and weight training but still gases in a fight. forrest goes on to say something quite intelligent for his low IQ (he states his is only 87) that the best cardio trainining for fighting it rolling and sparring, not only that but with a fresh opponent while in a bad position/scenerio each new round to make it extra difficult.

that was good motivation to go to sparring and bjj more frequently.
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Re: Best cardio for fighting

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:45 am

Rolling? You mean like tumbling and breakfalls and stuff?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:00 am

rolling is juijitsu sparring or randori
neijia_boxer

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:07 am

Oh, my ignorance to being on the ground is showing, sparring and work on the heavy bag will have to suffice for me.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:22 am

I've heard tennis works pretty well.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:20 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:while i am reading forrest Griffins book, i found and excellent point he makes in one of his chapters: he talks about his friend that does all the running and circuits and weight training but still gases in a fight. forrest goes on to say something quite intelligent for his low IQ (he states his is only 87) that the best cardio trainining for fighting it rolling and sparring, not only that but with a fresh opponent while in a bad position/scenerio each new round to make it extra difficult.

that was good motivation to go to sparring and bjj more frequently.

Sounds reasonable...to a point. First thing that comes to mind is that Forrest's friend isn't able to calm his mind and body down in a fight and promptly throws his breathing out the window when it comes to the fight. That would gas anyone regardless of training.
Chris Fleming

Postby Teazer on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Tom wrote: I haven't found long sustained periods of cardiopulmonary effort to be as useful as shorter bursts using one of the approaches to interval training and its variants.

Same here. Tabata ftw!
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Juan on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:19 pm

We do something like that when we are about to fight. We usually do six rounds of boxing introducing new partners every round. We also do 5 rounds of clinch work with three people. The person who is training to fight does clinch work with one partner while the other one rests, when the round is over the person who is resting clinches with the fighter the next round while the other guy rests and so on and so forth for 5 rounds. I swear after that is done you feel like puking your guts out. Fortunately I've come close to puking but haven't done so yet (knock on wood).
Juan
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:45 am

Chris Fleming wrote:Sounds reasonable...to a point. First thing that comes to mind is that Forrest's friend isn't able to calm his mind and body down in a fight and promptly throws his breathing out the window when it comes to the fight. That would gas anyone regardless of training.

that;s what i was thinking. the science is pretty clear on VO2 max and intervals, but i think that wrestling etc. is still a must.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby tiltpoint on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:01 am

SAID: specific adaptation to imposed demand. You fight, and then get better at fighting? something sounds too simple.

As an athlete, I've long disagreed with cardio for the sake of cardio. As a coach, I am in the (by far) minority. Nothing wrong with wanting to be able to run for several miles (and for cutting weight it's a must), but don't for a second think it will help you more than marginally with wrestling. You want better cardio for wrestling? Wrestle longer/ with more intensity. Want to relax more and make the other guy work harder? Practice that.

Wind sprints up a hill or stairs. Preferably with weights, farmer grip. Maximum burst for several seconds, rest, maximum burst. Or you could just practice skipping...
tiltpoint
Santi

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:05 am

bag work and shadow boxing at high intensity = best cardio for fighting.

sparring is sparring and has an element fo cardio, but the focus is not cardio.

rolling, the same thing, you'll get cardio, but you also go anaerobic at times.

steady bag work and steady shadow boxing is task specific and heavy cardio that you can focus on breathing and timing your breathing even more importantly.

Griffin while entertaining, and an ok fighter, is not the greatest teacher, but what do you want for an IQ of 87? lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Besides bag work and shadow boxing, some other things I like:

skipping rope
line drills
rock climbing
cycling hills
jogging with interval sprints mixed in (e.g. indian runs or fartlek)

I guess the common feeling when I do all of these to get the heartrate up, while still trying to remain somewhat relaxed so that you don't gas out.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Josh Lerner on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:20 pm

Tabata burpees are the bee's knees.

Josh
Josh Lerner
Santi

Postby tiltpoint on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:39 pm

rolling, the same thing, you'll get cardio, but you also go anaerobic at times.

EXACTLY! The whole point of endurance is to be able to endure the rigors you will likely face. If we're talking combat sports, it means aerobic levels interspersed with bouts of anaerobic intensity over 3 to 5 minutes. If we're talking THE STREETS (TM) and a fight lasts more than a few seconds, you're probably screwed anyway (with the exception of running away, but most times you only have to have more gas than the other guy has desire to continue the conflict.)

Just don't fool yourself that aerobic endurance will help you more than marginally in a fight. On the other hand, anaerobic conditioning results in increased VO2 max by possibly one of the most effective means. The only discussion should be which is to be emphasized, ATP-CP storage (short term anaerobic) or glycogen storage (long term anaerobic). That is dependent on whether you want combat sports, or THE STREETS (TM).

If we're talking hunting/tracking prey till it gases, marathon/ solely aerobic training is OK.
tiltpoint
Santi

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:46 am

to be honest I've never needed cardio in a fight - ring or otherwise.

although it's good to do for other reasons.
Ian

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan