Guys that Go 110%

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Guys that Go 110%

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:02 am

wiesiek wrote:this is real problem when you don`t going to hurt the guy
and became even more substancjal when you try your best w/o effects... -loco-

In which case you could always break the rules. ;D

Point taken, you should be willing to go to 100% the problem I have is I think it's disrespectful when the coach says otherwise.

But yes on the other hand it's an opportunity to keep it real. I guess for me competition is not really a big deal, like I said on another thread Fedor would choke my ass out anyway. ;D

I agree with JW too that you can get used to anything, in BJJ I'm used to guys coming in and just going for it but in BJJ I know what to do. I guess it just means my judo needs work so that I'm as comfortable with these situations as I am on the ground.

I think for me it's about finding that balance between stepping it up and avoiding injury, this guy injured one guy by landing on his ribs, messed up the other guy's arm and messed up my hand a little (until I cracked my knuckles).
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:13 am

In such" shittybulling" case,
the trainer should react and straight up "badass" :-[

train smple action-reaction drills / learn how to react not as expected/

try to work with bagua steppings methods allone /as additinal homework?/
im shure that it will improve greatly your reactions and throwing abilyty in stressfull situations.

What a pitty that i didn`t know even name "bagua" in my judo days! :'(

best
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Butterball on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:49 am

Imo, the best option is to talk to the guy and tell him to calm down. If he doesn't, then stop working with him and explain to him why if he asks. It's too easy to get injured by someone like that and it's not worth the risk.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:46 am

Butterball wrote:Imo, the best option is to talk to the guy and tell him to calm down. If he doesn't, then stop working with him and explain to him why if he asks. It's too easy to get injured by someone like that and it's not worth the risk.

Thanks Butterball I'll do that. Because avoiding injuries, is really what it comes down too. Can't improve when you can't train.

If you go 100 it's important to have that trust that the other guy isn't going to try to injure you. As long as you know the other guy has your best interests at heart and has control then going 100 or 90 once in a while shouldn't be a big problem. But even in these situations accidents happen so may as well do them with someone you know.

In fact a remember a vid with Mike Strong where he tells the other guy, "We better turn things down a notch, I don't want your head to go through the wall and more importantly I don't want my head to go through the wall."
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Juan on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:33 am

It depends. I love it when I can find someone in my weight class or near my weight class that wants to go all out. I see it as fight training and it's a hell of alot of fun to beat the crap out of one another. It's a different matter when it's someone who out weighs me by 20-30 pounds. Those fuckers don't realize (or maybe they do) how hard they can fucking punch or kick. I try to hang in as best I can with these dudes but if they catch me with a good shot, I'll usually take a little break to recover and get back to work.
Juan
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:42 am

Honestly the teacher or coach should have stepped in and stopped that guy. Even if it means taking him to school. Injuring people is unacceptable.

Personally I try to do 1 of 2 things if that happens. I try to back off, go easy, and slow them down without talking to them, and if that isn't working I might say something. Or I say "ok its on" and things start getting really rough. I try not to do that last one though as its not as beneficial. Its too likely for someone to get hurt.

Going 100% is ok to do sometimes but it needs to be done with people with control that you trust.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby fuga on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:51 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:Going 100% is ok to do sometimes but it needs to be done with people with control that you trust.

I agree. It's important to differentiate training versus fighting/competition. At my school, it is heavily emphasized not to break your training partner and the seniors keep a watchful eye on sparring and will often switch partners to tone down folks who are going to hard.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:40 pm

I used to spar with two other guys.
The tall guy thought "These guys are bigger than me because I'm so skinny."
The fat guy thought "These guys are bigger than me because they're so athletic."
The average guy thought "These guys are bigger than me because they both weigh more."

Each of us thought he was the weakest. Sometimes when a guy is escalating intensity he just thinks he's trying to match your intensity.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:21 pm

I'll be very nervous if any of my students go 50% instead of 110% in his SC matches.

If you throw your opponent with 100% force, your opponent's body can make a perfect rotation and have a comfortable landing. When you throw your opponent with 50% force, if you also let go your grip, your opponent's body will rotate half way with head down and leg up, and then slide straight down and smash his head into his neck. IMO, it's very dangerous to go 50% in throwing. This is why most injury happened when there is a beginner involved. But if you do want to hurt your opponent, half way throwing (50%) will be the way to go.

Most SC teachers don't teach 1/2 way throwing (for example, stop in the middle of the hip throw and then step away and let your opponent to "slide" off your shoulder). It's one of the best combat skill and that's for sure.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:50 pm

Going 50% has nothing to do with how you do the techniques. It's about trying to do everything to win including not getting thrown versus doing randoori to experiment, try things out and perfect your technique.

In my mind it's really a question of the art versus the sport. Of course in the end you need a little bit of both.

wiesiek wrote:"tokui waza"
throw of choice which you trained to the death in all possible configurations and combos...

if you asking, you don`t have it yet
you should use it any time when possibility arise w/o "thinking" or planning

in fact you need 2-3 "tokui waza" for you "better side" and at list one for 2nd side
if you plan to fight in tournament
this is kinda of general rule in throwing arts

Dzieki for confirming that.

I've always known that the top judoka/wrestlers would take one throw/takedown and spend a year or more just doing that one throw. It always made sense to me and this incident confirmed it as well. Because everything is happening to fast that thinking isn't an option.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 pm

Now we have 2 different definitions of 50%. One is only to use 50% of your power in your striking or throwing. The other is willing to try new skill and taking risk. I don't think the training mode (develop new skill) has anything to do with 50%. I also don't think the competation mode (polish old skill) has anything to do with 110% either.

I though people complained about their opponent not willing to control their punches and kicks in sparring.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:00 am

one of the way to train it:
you need 2 or 3 classmates
let them stand on edges of the tatami
start from the center of the mat:
run to the 1st one and you do tokui waza,
-as fast as u can,
- run to the 2nd one...and POWaH ;)
and so on

setup time- depends of personal level, ability etc
standard is 30sec.-1 min. set
and you became uke for classmate
you aim is to make max. amount of throws in one period

train /swichsides/ as long as you are able to run

happy trainings
best
W.
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:04 am

johnwang wrote:Now we have 2 different definitions of 50%. One is only to use 50% of your power in your striking or throwing. The other is willing to try new skill and taking risk. I don't think the training mode (develop new skill) has anything to do with 50%. I also don't think the competation mode (polish old skill) has anything to do with 110% either.

I though people complained about their opponent not willing to control their punches and kicks in sparring.

In striking yes, 50% would mean less power and speed. In Judo and BJJ it's more about how much resist what the other guy is trying to do. When it looks more like wrestling where guys are trying to force something to happen instead of moving on to something else then we can say they're really going at it. This is probably because the "ju" in both these arts names means "soft."

Here's a pretty good example of 50%.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

G
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:16 am

It's important to be able to:

- borrow your opponent's force and use the minimum effort to achieve the maximum result (Yin).
- use your own force to throw your opponent no matter how hard that he tries to resist (Yang).
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:17 am

johnwang wrote:It's important to be able to:

- borrow your opponent's force and use the minimum effort to achieve the maximum result (Yin).
- use your own force to throw your opponent no matter how hard that he tries to resist (Yang).

+1

however
in modern sport /not only today/
Yang side is prevaling
This is main reason that i quit judo -as a sport
on national team training level most of the training time is pure conditioning/strenght[Li] exercises winded up for unbelvable level
all beauty of tactic and techniques are almost lost in" pumping iron" time :-\
wiesiek
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan