How to train coordination

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: How to train coordination

Postby Bhassler on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Something like Pilates might be more effective, since it's simpler and doesn't have as many requirements as IMA. A simplistic example would be how Dr. Suess is generally a more effective way to learn to read than jumping right in on Faulkner ("My mother is a fish.") or reading a neurophysiology textbook.

For something that's both more versatile and more effective, I'd look to something like Feldenkrais (which I mentioned earler), which is designed explicitly to deal with the self image, which is the underlying structure for any sort of coordination. Once you have the base sense of self-awareness and control, you can apply it to anything you like, and it's frequently something that happens unconsciously. I'm a Feldenkrais practitioner ("practitioner" is the professional designation for a Feldenkrais person), so I've got a bias towards that particular modality-- although Moshe Feldenkrais was a genius, I'm sure he's not the only genius who took an interest in teaching people how to move, so doubtless there are other very good modalities as well, but the point is that there are methods designed specifically for improving overall bodily function, and learning to fight while doing that just adds an unnecessary layer of complexity.

Really though, the best method is doing something you enjoy. MA, yoga, Pilates, Freerunning, dancing, Feldenkrais, nude beach volleyball-- whatever it is should be something you look forward to when you get up in the morning, not something you feel like you should do just because you think it's good for you. So you could look at something like NIA (a type of cardio dance class) and because it's fun and there's music and girls and no pressure involved it could free up all sorts of possibilities for learning. Coordination happens between the ears, not in the torso or limbs-- once you make that paradigm shift, anything is possible.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:00 pm

hmm yeah makes sense. a dance class with music and girls would seem a lot more pressured to me, though. :)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:07 pm

everything wrote:hmm yeah makes sense. a dance class with music and girls would seem a lot more pressured to me, though. :)

don't go to a dance club where the girls are used to dancing with (being led by) skilled dancers. go to dance classes where most girls will suck even more than you. tango especially has a lot of crossover with IMAs.
Ian

Postby Mut on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:21 pm

juggling is great for co-ordination because it teaches integration of the left and right brain.
another good method is learning to write with your opposite hand. Most practice of form and even dance and the like is generally 1 side dominant. The 2 things I mention require development of both sides of the brain at the same time. It is this type of training of the brain that allows for better co-ordination in many things.

Bao, surely part of your development would be to listen to your own body and develop the ability to separate the body when required.
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Convince him to get some acupuncture done. That'll fix him, among other benefits he probably needs.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan