Kung Fu Panda

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Kung Fu Panda

Postby johnwang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:13 pm

http://www.kabb.com/ click on "Flix on Fox" in the sidebar and play video for "Kung Fu Panda".
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Kung Fu Panda

Postby johnwang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:51 pm

What you will see in this clip is not just "sport SC" but what a "combat SC" is - throw is not the end of a fight.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:16 pm

Isn't it funny how we need a movie like "Kung Fu Panda" to prmote CMA?
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:58 pm

I'm glad they use CMA to promote that movie instead of using Karate.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby soundofwater on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:44 pm

Announcer had never seen SC before and was wondering why it took 10 rounds in MMA to finish fight by trading kicks or fighting on the ground instead of just using CMA throwing against kick or punch and finishing move as demonstrated?

I replied that maybe they don't know how or rules disallow it or maybe it doesn't make for good long show and lots of audience and money?
soundofwater
Santi

Postby Andy_S on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:30 pm

SNIP
Announcer had never seen SC before and was wondering why it took 10 rounds in MMA to finish fight by trading kicks or fighting on the ground instead of just using CMA throwing against kick or punch and finishing move as demonstrated?
SNIP

Good question. I will try to answer. Firstly, I have to admit ignorance of one point: I know of know MMA fights that go for 10 rounds. Anyway, here goes with the answers:

1. The announcer was probably unaware of the difference between real fights and demos.

2. There are ways to counter throws - and ways to counter the finishes. It is not quite that simple to finish a well-trained, well-conditioned opponent.

SNIP
I replied that maybe they don't know how or rules disallow it or maybe it doesn't make for good long show and lots of audience and money?
SNIP

I am pretty sure most MMA fighters are familiar with footsweeps and hip throws, knee controls and leg locks.

The rules in UFC and the now-defunct Pride allow everything shown in the clip (throws, knee control, leg lock) - and more.

Maybe it doesn't make for a long show...though there ARE 1st round KOs and submissions in MMA - or maybe trained, conditioned fighters are more durable than you think....?

Of course, I may be wrong about all this. If I am, I hope the SC peoplemake a mint wading through the MMA competitions, winning title belts and bringing glory to their art.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:28 am

C.J.Wang wrote:Isn't it funny how we need a movie like "Kung Fu Panda" to prmote CMA?

I think its great to have movies like this with a CMA theme. I'm looking forward to seeing it!
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:13 am

...of course, they could actually be promoting kungfu panda toys and games also
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby soundofwater on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:21 am

Andy_S wrote:SNIP

1. The announcer was probably unaware of the difference between real fights and demos.

2. There are ways to counter throws - and ways to counter the finishes. It is not quite that simple to finish a well-trained, well-conditioned opponent.

SNIP
SNIP

I am pretty sure most MMA fighters are familiar with footsweeps and hip throws, knee controls and leg locks.

The rules in UFC and the now-defunct Pride allow everything shown in the clip (throws, knee control, leg lock) - and more.

Maybe it doesn't make for a long show...though there ARE 1st round KOs and submissions in MMA - or maybe trained, conditioned fighters are more durable than you think....?

Of course, I may be wrong about all this. If I am, I hope the SC peoplemake a mint wading through the MMA competitions, winning title belts and bringing glory to their art.

Oh, certainly that is known by most artists. It takes knowledge of the techniques and tough training to execute under duress. And things get dumbed down to I hit you, you hit me until a high level of confidence and skill is attained.

But I think his perception was that he rarely saw kicks intercepted and the fighter thrown down, or more complex hand work beyond boxing one/two, or combination throws or even any counters to things such as Thai knees to the body, or sticking or arm or leg bridging principles demonstrated; mostly just well-conditioned bodies receiving blows and feeding them back to the opponent for many rounds (maybe his stating 10 was just an exaggerated emphasis on the point he was trying to make).
soundofwater
Santi

Postby fuga on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:49 am

My 5 year old daughter and I saw Kungfu Panda yesterday - a good mix of cartoons for her and a kungfu theme for me. She liked the snake and the tiger the best.

Afterwards, we watched a kid's kungfu class and she actually seemed interested. (Earlier in the week, she saw a karate class and expressed zero interest.) And this morning, she got on the floor and started doing mountain climbers and asked me to show her how to do kungfu.

So for me, a movie like Kungfu Panda is good, because it is getting her interested in CMA.

-pete (hoping to get the next generation involved in CMA)
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Pat on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:09 pm

the guy doing the demo is Kirk Woller. he is an ACSCA instructor and extremely good! the guy is an animal! plus a very good guy and fun to talk to. it is good to see Shuai Chiao getting some press!

late edit- i liked this demo very much. i wanted to see more, but the reporter had to talk about the movie! -shrug-

Kirk showed very nice throws and a great progression through to the end of the scenario aka finishing the fight. i hope we can get more demos and techniques like this on EF!
Last edited by Pat on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan