Do you train with aliveness?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Do you train with aliveness?

Postby Formosa Neijia on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:17 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:Another problem I have is people take this aliveness crap too far. They start to think that if you aren't going 100% resistance then you aren't making progress. That if you aren't hitting 100% then you aren't making progress. At the same time they belittle "dead patterns" yet last I checked many BJJ students practice flow drills. Ita pre arranged pattern right? That means its useless too right?

What I've found is that it's okay if some styles do it (BJJ) but not if others do it (TMA). So forms from CMA get the response "what is that crap?" while flow drills get a "yeah, that's cool" from the same people. It's just pure and simple prejudice and disrespect for TMA. Let it go in one ear and out the other.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:13 pm

ALIVENESS(tm): now in MMA warrior protein supplement form!
Ian

Postby ashe on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:17 pm

Formosa Neijia wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:Another problem I have is people take this aliveness crap too far. They start to think that if you aren't going 100% resistance then you aren't making progress. That if you aren't hitting 100% then you aren't making progress. At the same time they belittle "dead patterns" yet last I checked many BJJ students practice flow drills. Ita pre arranged pattern right? That means its useless too right?

What I've found is that it's okay if some styles do it (BJJ) but not if others do it (TMA). So forms from CMA get the response "what is that crap?" while flow drills get a "yeah, that's cool" from the same people. It's just pure and simple prejudice and disrespect for TMA. Let it go in one ear and out the other.

Dave C.

here here! or is it "hear hear!"?

either way QFT
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:42 am

nah I train with this guy:

sorry had to do it ;D

anyway my stance has always been, if you don't spar, you're not doing martial arts.
Last edited by nianfong on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan