In praise of backyard training sessions

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

In praise of backyard training sessions

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:07 am

How many of you guys get together even occasionally with other martial artists for the time-honored practice of the backyard training session? More than almost any other civilian context, these gatherings over beer, burgers, bullshit and good times (not to mention scotch and cigars) have the potential to provide you with new insights and new leaps in learning. Whether it's the fat lip you thought you could stop, the style you aren't used to fighting against, the cool new way of getting a joint lock you never thought of before, or learning your first triangle in groundfighting, backyards have been one of the martial artist's best kept secrets for generations.

Some have produced whole new styles, e.g., Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do or Kajukenbo. Backyard sessions have the benefits of intensive learning that seminars offer, but with the informal, friendly and free communication that happens between friends sharing an activity they all love. If you have the opportunity to start a backyard training group, do yourself a favor and do it. Whether the other guys practice your style or not, and almost especially if they don't...everybody benefits.
Chris McKinley

Re: In praise of backyard training sessions

Postby everything on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 am

I think this is some of the best stuff, too. Some friends and I try to get together weekly. It ends up being maybe 3 times a month. We all primarily study different stuff so the mix is good. This is the only way I look at striking right now since I mainly go to grappling. The only time I ever get to do any push hands as well. Our homemade mma/jkd/kajukembo/whatever. No doctrinaire "this is the way" stuff, just informal comparing of notes or tips.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby bigphatwong on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:21 am

It's been too long since I've done it, but this is my favorite format as well. Once my work schedule evens out I'd love to get a group of buddies together once a week, throw on the gloves and just box for a few hours. Afterwards we could go to Bill Miller BBQ and shove meat down our throats.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:59 am

Chris McKinley wrote:How many of you guys get together even occasionally with other martial artists for the time-honored practice of the backyard training session? More than almost any other civilian context, these gatherings over beer, burgers, bullshit and good times (not to mention scotch and cigars) have the potential to provide you with new insights and new leaps in learning. Whether it's the fat lip you thought you could stop, the style you aren't used to fighting against, the cool new way of getting a joint lock you never thought of before, or learning your first triangle in groundfighting, backyards have been one of the martial artist's best kept secrets for generations.

Some have produced whole new styles, e.g., Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do or Kajukenbo. Backyard sessions have the benefits of intensive learning that seminars offer, but with the informal, friendly and free communication that happens between friends sharing an activity they all love. If you have the opportunity to start a backyard training group, do yourself a favor and do it. Whether the other guys practice your style or not, and almost especially if they don't...everybody benefits.

+1

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:17 am

Chris-
Can you point me to the stories of how JKD and Kajukenbo were
developed in back yard?
roger hao

Postby Ralteria on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:24 am

This has to be my favorite way to train. I just had a backyard session a couple of weeks ago with my brother in-law. I used to do this regularly years ago with friends and roommates who were all cross-style. I love to train in a non-formal setting anyway. The comradarie and information exchange involved in these are truly unique and last for a long time.

Not to mention your buddies are going to be the first ones to call bullshit on you if you are talking out your behind. "Really??? Why don't you try that on me?" Generally speaking your friends will not be so lienent on you as the training partner who is trying to get his technique on you at the same time. But its all for the sake of good times, good beer, and good information so no one should be going home with bruised egos.
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby fuga on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:32 am

The Fairyland Fight Club (aka the Gooseshit Gathering) has been alive and kicking for a number of years now. Special out of town guests are always welcome. See the Bay Area RSF gathering for details.

It's been a great way to test material, learn new approaches, and perfect coffee talk.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:51 am

I did that with Lincoln just the other night. We did bagua with beers on the sideline for cooling down while we worked some dogs on the barbecue. It was "good training".

We even managed not to injure each other!

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:16 am

roger,

Just do a Google of the history of either art and there are multiple accounts.
Chris McKinley

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:22 am

Another benefit of backyard sessions is that for guys who either don't do any real application work or don't have any way of knowing if their non-combative practices are producing any real fighting skill, your buddies can give you as thorough or as mild a test of your skills as you are all comfortable with. It's a nice, safe way of introducing your skills to the concept of testing without having to deal with the potential danger of random matches with people you don't know and trust. It's a nice, safe way for "high level" push hands types to get callibrated to some reality, or to earn some bragging rights if their skills really are just as badassedly sufficient as they think.
Chris McKinley

Postby I am... on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:How many of you guys get together even occasionally with other martial artists for the time-honored practice of the backyard training session? More than almost any other civilian context, these gatherings over beer, burgers, bullshit and good times (not to mention scotch and cigars) have the potential to provide you with new insights and new leaps in learning. Whether it's the fat lip you thought you could stop, the style you aren't used to fighting against, the cool new way of getting a joint lock you never thought of before, or learning your first triangle in groundfighting, backyards have been one of the martial artist's best kept secrets for generations.

+1 as well. I did my last one of these on Friday evening. Some of the best ones tend to be when people have had a few drinks, since people tend to play rougher with less inhibition. I would love to find more people that are game to do so as well :)
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Yes on occasion and I should do it more often. It's the one time I get to practise with people from outside my school I think that perspective is invaluable. Always interesting to see how other people do things, not to mention not behaving the way you expect them to!

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:02 pm

In summer my class is in a backyard ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:17 pm

the many hours i have spent in decatur on sunday afternoons practicing with many different people from different styles has been of great value to me in addition to "formal" classes.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:23 pm

Heh, heh. The "Fairyland Fight Club" is the epitome of backyard (or in our case "park") training. It's a great time. Also, as Fuga mentioned, a great way to experiment with ideas and then we shoot the shit over coffee & food at the cafe afterward. Good times... :)
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan