pushing in SC, judo, kickboxing formats

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

pushing in SC, judo, kickboxing formats

Postby everything on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:51 pm

I'm sure you've discussed this one a bajillion times and it's probably in the implicit read the effing RSF faq, but the watered down thread got me wondering about this topic again. Aside from the what-the-hell kind of x-files demo push, the ima legend push, the leitai push off platform or sumo out of circle fight/match ender, or even a simpler "projection" or shove, how much do you incorporate smaller push-hand type pushes in grappling or striking sport formats?

I was trying this in judo the other night and it really seems to mess with people. Instead of "hard" grip fighting, I'd throw in some occasional pushing or oscillation of my arms where they gripped that seemed to mentally confuse and off-balance people. I didn't fully incorporate it right into a throw but it's a matter of needing more practice. I think the mental confusion should be just as good or better than physical kuzushi, esp in combination. That is where I want my judo game to go. How about in striking? Does it work the same way for you?
Last edited by everything on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: pushing in SC, judo, kickboxing formats

Postby I am... on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:28 pm

I have used small full body "pushes" in the clinch to set up elbow, knee, sweep, and off balancing work if the person holds on. Catching someone with a push if they do not hold on can be a handy way to put them in the path of an already partially thrown kick, and a former San Shou team-mate of mine made that one of his bread and butter methods of landing head kicks.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Juan on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:30 pm

Yeah, I like using small pushes when the person is close in to set up kicks as well.
Juan
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:33 pm

When your opponent right hand punches at you, a right palm push on his right shoulder could be very effective. Don't allow your opponent's body to rotate into a certain direction works as well as helping your opponent's body to rotate into a certain direction.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby daniel pfister on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:59 pm

everything wrote:how much do you incorporate smaller push-hand type pushes in grappling or striking sport formats?

Thank you for bringing up this topic. I often use small pushes in shuai jiao and judo to off balance and/or gain control of the opponents center. In striking, Taiji's folding techniques are most useful for the close range.

Because of the usefulness of the above techniques, I never try to do those big blasting pushes while practicing or teaching push hands. I only work on huajin, folding, and similar soft skills because I've found those things to be more versatile than simply pushing someone back a step.
daniel pfister
Wuji

Postby I am... on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:21 pm

johnwang wrote:When your opponent right hand punches at you, a right palm push on his right shoulder could be very effective. Don't allow your opponent's body to rotate into a certain direction works as well as helping your opponent's body to rotate into a certain direction.

I agree, that type of usage is also great, what I would call "jamming" the opponent. If used on say, the outside of the opponents right arm above the elbow while standing on their right side, it can allow you to keep their already broken structure, broken, setting up other things from there, be it a sweep, arm drag, elbow break, strike, etc.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby humbleboxer on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:39 pm

step on opponents front foot and push works well. try changing direction of your push instead of straight back. sink and push up to uproot (bend and straighten your legs). use 2 hands and push more with one hand which will send them off at an angle. pulling in with one arm and pushing with the other are great set ups for leg sweeps. you can use different parts of the hand to push - finger to palm (seal palm) or palm to finger (good for pushing and poking the throat). keep aware of how close opponent is to the walls or obstructions. even if you don't use it in practice pushing an opponent into something is as good as a throw or strike. my teachers teacher Prof. Hou taught a drill in which everyone would take one step away from the wall and he would bounce them off of the wall. after each push they would take one step further away from the wall. this would teach you to relax when you got pushed. someone tried to keep timing the push after many steps and Prof. Hou pushed unevenly and the student hit the wall at an angle unprepared which knocked him out cold.
humbleboxer
Santi

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan