Si Ping Tui Shou: Why?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Si Ping Tui Shou: Why?

Postby bailewen on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:48 am

I think the most relevant answer on the thread so far was Chris's post about how it relates to entering and working around your opponents limbs.

The start point is pretty key as well I think. Both people in the "peng position". It's the moment of change. Like a Ouiji board. There is no rule as to who transitions to an and who to ji but I was just thinking more simply that that is essentially an "on guard" stance. One hand high and one hand low.

The little switch off between the hand and the elbow that you have to do to avoid getting your arms crossed is pretty tricky too. I've not met anyone yet without at least 3 or 4 years of push hands training who could pull it off without getting pushed if I just gave them a little real "an" at that point instead of moving mechanically through the routine. It's like a little hidden single palm change but where instead of hiding the flower under the leaf, you hide the leaf under the lotus.

The way the hands contact is a lesson from that pattern too. You can't place your palms on the other guy at any point or you can be locked. Actually, back of hand is the same. You have to use the blade.

That particular pattern also presents entry points to practice numerous applications and their counters. It encourages that application of the tactical arsenal contained within the taiji form.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Brinkman on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:01 am

Wu mengxia mentions ping tui si shou in his annotations of Yinyang jue (yin yang song) also called heshou “joining hands”. He suggest that “spitting out method” is its primary attribute and “swallowing in” is secondary. He also says its principles are revealed in san shou, wherein he discusses them as 6 ½ latter and 6 ½ former principle (methods).
Brinkman

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:17 am

Hey Marcus! I noticed you have some new video clips available on your Youtube page. Is there a website where all of your videos are available for purchase? I'd like to send some business your way. It's very good to see you in action again on those clips and posting to the board.
Chris McKinley

Postby Brinkman on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:17 am

Thanks Chris... nothing new... just those youtube clips for the moment. Last I heard, Gary was still running the old"insidersasia".
Brinkman

Postby XiaoXiong on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:41 pm

Looks like he's rebuilding the site. I e-mailed him to inquire about some stuff. Thanks Marcus.
J
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan