Interesting read: "The Legacy of Grandmaster Haumea Lefiti"

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Interesting read: "The Legacy of Grandmaster Haumea Lefiti"

Postby Juan on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:26 am

As someone who studied with Prof. Carl Totton I feel that I should perhaps chime in a bit.

First off, regarding "misconduct with his male students": I am not exactly sure as to what the author is alluding to here, but if it is regarding sexual misconduct I have to say I never saw a glimpse of this in the two years I was there. I would never suspect Prof. Totton of such behavior. I don't want to call those people liars as they may have experienced something different, but again, in my two years there I never saw anything that would lead me to suspect any such thing from Prof. Totton.

Secondly, although I found alot of his material useful (most of the chi kung and taiji solo exercises that I learned from him I still practice today) I did not like the vibe at his school. I am not calling his shit fake as he obviously is a very capable martial artist and would whoop on my ass very easily, but alot of his material is based on dim muk and alot of chi based stuff. Also, his mix of Kenpo and Shaolin material didn't feel right. Honestly, after two years at his school, I really don't think I could fight at all. Once I asked him about sparring and he laughed in my face and told me that this wasn't karate. It wasn't too much longer after that, that I decided to leave for greener pastures. I left his school, not really on a bad note as I don't think he cared much wheather I stayed or left, but with lots of questions. I am much happier now with my new Taiji teacher and searching out other methods of fighting such as Muay Thai and Boxing.
Juan
Great Old One

Re: Interesting read: "The Legacy of Grandmaster Haumea Lefiti"

Postby bigphatwong on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:03 pm

The night before he died, some black belts and some friends went to David Wright’s house and had a party with Tiny. The next morning, Tiny’s wife Alice made breakfast for Tiny as he loved to eat. After he finished, he went to sit on his chair and fell to the ground with a massive heart attack. The doctors said he was dead before he landed.

Cholesterol FTW!
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan