Updated my Blog (Dai San Gun)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Updated my Blog (Dai San Gun)

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:10 am

Updated my blog with a short article on Dai Xin Yi Quan's San Gun (3 stick).

Will have some more stuff up as well, but I need to put my efforts on getting my website up and running.

http://daixinyi.blogspot.com/

Jon.
Last edited by Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Re: Updated my Blog (Dai San Gun)

Postby bartekb on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:48 am

Hi Jon
Could you maybe put a link to your blog on your signature? This would be useful:)
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:04 am

bartekb wrote:Hi Jon
Could you maybe put a link to your blog on your signature? This would be useful:)

Thanks for noticing that

Jon.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:56 am

cheers:)
now you might like the text : DAIXINYI
on the top of the blog to be white to differ from the background:)
Thank you for the link, what I meant, as your blog is quite a good and interesting piece of work - just put it permanently in your signature if possible so the link is visible with your every post?
Of course up to you - its your blog:) Thanks for the effort of publishing anyway:)
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:11 pm

bartekb wrote:cheers:)
now you might like the text : DAIXINYI
on the top of the blog to be white to differ from the background:)
Thank you for the link, what I meant, as your blog is quite a good and interesting piece of work - just put it permanently in your signature if possible so the link is visible with your every post?
Of course up to you - its your blog:) Thanks for the effort of publishing anyway:)

Cheers for pointing that out, I changed it and it does look better.

JB.
Last edited by Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:45 pm

You're getting some nice traffic. Make a little dough and add Adsense to it.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm

Buddy wrote:You're getting some nice traffic. Make a little dough and add Adsense to it.

Bro, what is Adsense?

Jon.

P.S, I googled it, looks interesting, thanks for that. I will look into it more.
Last edited by Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby SquattingMonkey on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi Jon, I first have to say how grateful I am to you for having such a great blog. I have just read all the articles on your website and I'm still digesting. I learned a lot more about the rare art of Dai Xinyiquan thanks to your website. I have been studying Dai Xinyiquan for only a few months training the shenfa and bufa regularly every day. I have one important question to ask you regarding Dun hou shi. When contracting and expanding what do you do with your breath? I read in one of your articles that a big rule in Dai Xinyiquan is not to hold your breath or force your breathing. I am having a little difficulty understanding my teacher's english as his native language is chinese. I think he was saying to take a slow deep breath in as you contract down and then I thought I was supposed to hold my breath for a about 5-10 seconds while maintaining the low posture. Then as I expand back up he said something about exhale only half of your breath out and the other half down to dan tien, but I couldn't figure out what he meant by that try as I might. If you could please elaborate on proper breathing during Dun hou shi I would really appreciate it.
Last edited by SquattingMonkey on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SquattingMonkey
Santi

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:34 pm

SquattingMonkey wrote:Hi Jon, I first have to say how grateful I am to you for having such a great blog. I have just read all the articles on your website and I'm still digesting. I learned a lot more about the rare art of Dai Xinyiquan thanks to your website. I have been studying Dai Xinyiquan for only a few months training the shenfa and bufa regularly every day. I have one important question to ask you regarding Dun hou shi. When contracting and expanding what do you do with your breath? I read in one of your articles that a big rule in Dai Xinyiquan is not to hold your breath or force your breathing. I am having a little difficulty understanding my teacher's english as his native language is chinese. I think he was saying to take a slow deep breath in as you contract down and then I thought I was supposed to hold my breath for a about 5-7 seconds. Then as I expand back up he said something about exhale only half of your breath out and the other half down to dan tien, but I couldn't figure out what he meant by that try as I might. If you could please elaborate on proper breathing during Dun hou shi I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for the interest in regards to my blog, it has been a major mission as I do not speak Chinese, so I am at the mercy of the translators that help me.

As for the breathing, I wrote correctly, there is no holding the breath or concentrating on the breath at all (not that I have been shown) in my teachers system. I can't say anything in regards to anyone else's style, but that does not really interest me too much, I must focus on what my teacher shows me and not get side-tracked.

As for the contacting and expansion I guess you inhale and you contract (shu) and exhale when you expand (zhan), though I do not put any Yi (intention) into this, it just happens naturally, you just notice it happen you don't concentrate on this.

It is absolutely forbidden in my system to hold the breath, this is really stressed. I guess this is because it aids in tension and we want to be as relaxed as possible. Without this relaxation going on, there is less chance of sudden power deliver (kuai jin).

After a while you will get into delivering from dan tian and this is achieved by using (lei/shen) thunder and lightening. This method is not taught early otherwise you will sound silly shrieking from the throat, when in fact it is a by product of correct internal mechanics and internal development. It has a very distinctive sound when you get it right and it can change as you progress. There is also stages of (dun hou shi) where you pack the force down into (dan tian) and then let it spring out from the bottom and back up.

Note; in my style we do not really discuss Qi, acupuncture points, leading from here to there and other related things. The Qi will naturally go where it is supposed to go if you are doing things properly and we never concentrate on Qi's movement while practising for a few different reasons.

All the stuff mentioned above can not be taught properly unless you go through a very strict basic training course, tailored very progressively, otherwise you can not only cause damage to your foundational training and that can be a hard thing to correct on later in life.

Hope you find that semi-useful, but you are welcome to ask anything else if you like.

JB.
Last edited by Dai Zhi Qiang on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby jack coffee on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:48 pm

Last edited by jack coffee on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jack coffee

Postby SquattingMonkey on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi Jon, Thank you for the explanation it definatley helped me.
Hi Jack, yes I am a student of master Li. Thank you for informing me of the other students of master Li on this site. I will pm them with my questions and keep them busy :D
SquattingMonkey
Santi

Postby beegs on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 pm

hey brother, how are you?
it's Danny, i read your post and i would just say this- you need to not worry much about anything other than what shifu tells you in reference to the excercise. He does have his own method, and you may get confused by others.

jon is clearly a source of knowledge, but as he stated, some things are very different.
beegs
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:50 pm

Taijiren isn't doing wu style anymore?
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:09 am

beegs wrote:hey brother, how are you?
it's Danny, i read your post and i would just say this- you need to not worry much about anything other than what shifu tells you in reference to the excercise. He does have his own method, and you may get confused by others.

jon is clearly a source of knowledge, but as he stated, some things are very different.

Could not agree with Beegs any more on this, do what your teacher tells you, he has the knowledge and experience in regards to your art.

Jon.

P.S, I don't know squat, I merely have a few pages, where Jarek is the encyclopedia ;)
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:12 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:Taijiren isn't doing wu style anymore?

yeah he is.
I-mon
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan