Best internal guys alive today?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Best internal guys alive today?

Postby Ian on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:22 am

Yes this is full on a popularity contest ;)

Who do you consider are the guys who have the best neigong / neili / internal force, applicable to fighting?

"But Ian, how do you define internal force (etc etc ad nauseam)?" Send this to the pit, if you must :P

From what I've seen, I'd say Mikhail Ryabko, Sam Chin, Serge Augier, Akuzawa Minoru...

Clearly most of these guys have a strong youtube presence.. I don't know of that many people.

Though I do have a short list of masters whom I must meet sooner rather than later. Any suggestions of 'internal guys you must visit if you're serious about MAs' would be much appreciated!

This isn't a question about the best fighters, btw. I wouldn't go to Sam Chin to learn about room clearing and firearms :)

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Ian on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Re: Best internal guys alive today?

Postby RobP2 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:31 am

Outside of Ryabko and Vasiliev... Yap Cheng Hai and Vincent Chu both had interesting stuff. I've seen plenty of other people, most of them had something to offer in greater or lesser degress, but not to the extent of seeking them out specifically
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:38 am

I survived a shoot from a BJJ guy yesterday during sparring and stayed on my feet - if I retire now I will be the greatest internal guy alive and my legacy will last for 1000 years of power!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:40 am

I recon add in Su Dong Chen, Paul Whitrod and of Vladimir Vasiliev .. but i guess he was on your list anyways ;)

cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:41 am

Hmmm... Luo De Xiu, Su Dong Chen, William C.C. Chen, Peter Ralston, come to mind...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby ppscat on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:41 am

- Chen Yu
- Ma Jiang Bao
- Yun Yin Sen
ppscat
Anjing

Postby cdobe on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:47 am

How do you rationalize that the Systema guys are internal. The arm-only hitting for instance seems to be something entirely different from all IMAs.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:16 am

SNIP
This isn't a question about the best fighters, btw. I wouldn't go to Sam Chin to learn about room clearing and firearms
SNIP

Eh?

Luo De-xiu, Su Dong-chen et al are excellent "fighters."

I think you are talking about soldiers - who require a a different skill-set altogether. But if you were a civilian...why would you need to know about "room clearing?"
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:10 am

cdobe wrote:How do you rationalize that the Systema guys are internal. The arm-only hitting for instance seems to be something entirely different from all IMAs.

But is it external?
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby justincasea on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:15 am

It takes one IMA practitioner to know one. :)
Last edited by justincasea on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
justincasea

Postby grzegorz on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:17 am

I've never met anyone else who could demonstrate to me what my teacher could do, although they might be out there I think some of the best teachers are probably far from the limelight.

cdobe wrote:How do you rationalize that the Systema guys are internal. The arm-only hitting for instance seems to be something entirely different from all IMAs.

I agree that systema is different from CIMAs. But that doesn't take away from it. BJJ/Judo/MT has nothing to do with CMAs but they all produce excellent results. How we define external/internal doesn't matter to me, but to me internal means it's from the Neijia family.

I like the ideas of systema in striking, in fact I used to do something similar but it's still different from the Systema's "arm only" punching. I always use the whole body movement which is best the definition of Internal that I've ever heard.

(But if some people consider Systema internal that's fine too.)
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby alexsuffolk on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:45 am

Xu Ai Zhai
alexsuffolk

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:19 am

RobP2 wrote:Outside of Ryabko and Vasiliev... Yap Cheng Hai and Vincent Chu both had interesting stuff. I've seen plenty of other people, most of them had something to offer in greater or lesser degress, but not to the extent of seeking them out specifically

Has anyone here trained with Vincent Chu or Gin Soon in Boston? I heard these Yang guys are very good. I was even warned that if you haven't yet learned to sink into their root through softness, it will be a tough experience.
neijia_boxer

Postby RobP2 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:20 am

Yep I trained with them. Hosted Vincent in the UK a few times. Nice guy with some very interesting stuff
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby C.J.Wang on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:50 am

ppscat wrote:- Chen Yu
- Ma Jiang Bao
- Yun Yin Sen

May I ask who Yun Yin Sen is?
C.J.Wang
Wuji