Best internal guys alive today?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Best internal guys alive today?

Postby alexsuffolk on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi Rob

He is a Daoist living in Emei Shan.

Alex
alexsuffolk

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Andy_S wrote:Omar:

Why is your sifu so unwilling to go on film? I thought he had been filmed on CCTV some time back...?

I understand conservatism, I understand modesty....not so sure about secrecy, in this day and age. Esp if he wants to promote his teacher.

Gee Andy,

Maybe he doesn't want to loose energy to an audience who haven't earned the right to critique him. Just maybe huh! ;D
Last edited by Walk the Torque on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:24 pm

Gee Andy,

Maybe he doesn't want to loose energy to an audience who haven't earned the right to critique him. Just maybe huh! ;D

Sort of.

I tried to clarify earlier actually. He will go on TV, as was pointed out. He just won't show much. The Taiji in that TV program was not the Baguataiji of his Shifu, Zhang Xiang-wu. When the camera's came out, Shifu did the Yang Chengfu form and we all followed along as if that's what we always did ...although I have never trained it a day in my life (other than for that TV program)

We do demos but the content is pretty limited. He never demos push hands stuff, just forms and mainly just the Baji forms or occasionally Da Shixiong will demo hebei style Xingyi Lianhuan. All totally public stuff. Stuff that's already out there.

I personally think it's a contradiction and think it would be FAR easier to promote his stuff if I had a nice tasty pile of video clips of him going over applications or of some of the freestyle push hands that happens when no one is watching but hey, it's his call.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:08 pm

Yang Guo Tai (Meeks' old bagua teacher) must be really good.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:46 pm

he had a quadruple bypass a few years ago - there was complications, and he stopped teaching for awhile. Now most of his students are just a couple of improvisational dancers and a couple of chee huggers. I think he's just teaching mostly forms now, but I could be wrong.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby meeks on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:50 pm

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Cerebus%27_Bite

Cerebus' Bite has its name taken from the mythological Cerberus, the three-headed guard dog of Hell according to Ancient Greek mythology. But it is highly unlikely that Cerberus is a real character from the Burning Hells, because if it were, it very unusual for Druids to be wearing its head as a means to commune with the spirits of Nature.

Cerberus is mentioned in myth as a having three heads and guarding passage to the Hells, or Hades, as it is called. Only allowing those souls who were ferried by Charon, who runs the ferry from the living world to Hades. Cerberus attacks intruders with a blind rage as depicted in the bonus to Feral Rage, the chance to cause Open Wounds and the very high bonus to Attack Rating. The demonic nature of Cerberus' actual bite is depicted in the ability to steal life from its foes.

It can be argued that the helm allows the wearing Druid to see through the eyes of Cerberus itself. But it is a point to note why Cerberus would give a bonus to the Druid's Shape-shifting Skills as a whole. Being of canine origin, Cerberus should not be able to grant bonuses to the Werebear form of the Druid. But it can still be said that since the Werewolf form depicts Speed and the Werebear shows Power, Cerberus being a combination of both can provide boosts to both. It can also be said that by game terms, Cerberus' Bite being an Elite Unique Helm would be too underpowered if it gave boosts to only the Werewolf form.
meeks
Administrator

Postby meeks on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:56 pm

there's a guy in HongKong (he's from Beijing) named Yuan Shao Liang (not to be confused with Liang Shou Yu in Vancouver). He's the fellow I often refer to when I talk about qing gong (jumping onto the roof top) and throwing me 10 meters (about 30 feet) before I land on my ass. His dian xue (dim mak - you know....'death touch'..hahaha) was fcuking surgical. *tap tap* on your arm and suddenly your right side of your body is paralyzed. He was my shaolin and yang taiji instructor. He taught me all of my qin na (he was an eagle claw disciple when he was younger). He could punch you from about 13 feet away, with half-step beng quan.

He's the one that LSY has 'borrowed' the history from and changed his own history in one of his books. Apparently LSY had to hide in temples during the revolution because he was such a 'notorious martial artist', when a few of my kung fu brothers were his older classmates in Seattle when he was learning wushu for the first time.
He also treated LSY's daughter with chinese medicine when she was receiving chemotherapy for cancer in about 1994-95 (she was completely bald from the chemo) and in this same book claims she cured her cancer by practicing his qi gong every day, and qi gong only - also on my douchebag list.
Last edited by meeks on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meeks
Administrator

Postby edededed on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:34 am

I remember an old article (which was also posted on LSY's site) that talked about how they tried all sorts of alternative treatments (including TCMA, but not only); in the end, his daughter was cured somehow, although they do not know what cured her (perhaps it was a combination of a few).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:12 am

meeks wrote:a few of my kung fu brothers were his older classmates in Seattle when he was learning wushu for the first time.

Those are some extremely serious accusations... I would love to know more details about this -- do you have any substantial evidence (aside from hearsay), i.e. something one could literally put their hands on and go through, like papers of any kind, emails, etc.? What are the names of these "older classmates"? Name of that school in Seattle? Etc., etc.?
TIA
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:09 pm

Omar:

SNIP
I personally think it's a contradiction and think it would be FAR easier to promote his stuff if I had a nice tasty pile of video clips of him going over applications or of some of the freestyle push hands that happens when no one is watching but hey, it's his call
SNIP

Well, go to work on him. I have read and heard of sanda peeps who basically think TCMA is useless for combat, and the MMA revolution is going to hit China sometime soon, judging by the Japanese and Korean experience. I really think it is worth pointing out that much TCMA today is indeed, utterly useless. If the few real teachers hide their light under a bushel, it just contributes to the ongoing erosion of TCMA. Why would someone who practices, teaches and presumably treasures TCMA NOT want to promote the real thing - to the point of hiding what they have when the camera is on?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:00 pm

martialartist wrote:
Andy_S wrote:Luo De-xiu, Su Dong-chen et al are excellent "fighters."

have you seen them fight?

I've never seen Luo "actually fight" although I know he did well in full contact tourneys back in the day. I will, however, say with complete assurance from have moved with and around him, and having asked him to really lay into me so I could feel it and feeling the kind of power he can generate...I'd have to say if he was revving up for a real fight it would be bad for whomever was on the other end of it.

I mean who's to say if he was to step into the cage with fedor or whatever...against most folks, and I'm including highly trained fighters, Luo would lay the smack down.

The guy hits like a truck. No lies.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Andy:

Not my role I think.

He's got other students who are trying really hard to get stuff out there. Even my da shixiong (most senior brother) is working that angle. He's got a shuai jiao background so he likes competition and he's rich enough to have a satellite hook up so he's wathed MMA competitions being broadcast from Vegas.

It's a debate that goes on but I think that different students have different roles. Mine is going to be to just try and get as much of the whole thing in the most authentic way that I can. I'll let others work on popularizing or adjusting for Sanda. Fact is, there's still no real competitive opportunities in the inland. the "Art of War" thing is getting bigger but it's still mainly just a Beijing thing. I noticed recently (shit! forgot to watch it again) that on Sundays, the Inner Mongolian TV station broadcasts MMA competitions every week at noon but if you want to get involved with something yourself, if your not in Beijing then your stuck with the state sponsored garbage. (Wulin Da Hui/WMA)

Sometimes we forget that in China a lot of people are only one generation removed from actual wartime usage so for that group, it's hard to get them worked up over MMA or the latest Sanda thing. His own teacher was a wartime general and vice-dean at the Nanjing Academy. He himself grew up during the cultural revolution. That sort of person just has a different attitude about the stuff from you or me.
Last edited by bailewen on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:19 pm

He himself grew up during the cultural revolution.

That sounds like a drag.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Brinkman on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Meeks wrote....."there's a guy in HongKong (he's from Beijing) named Yuan Shao Liang (not to be confused with Liang Shou Yu in Vancouver). He's the fellow I often refer to when I talk about qing gong (jumping onto the roof top) and throwing me 10 meters (about 30 feet) before I land on my ass. His dian xue (dim mak - you know....'death touch'..hahaha) was fcuking surgical. *tap tap* on your arm and suddenly your right side of your body is paralyzed. He was my shaolin and yang taiji instructor. He taught me all of my qin na (he was an eagle claw disciple when he was younger). He could punch you from about 13 feet away, with half-step beng quan...."

I ran into Yuan as well ...while attending Chinese Hong-kong university in New Territories...around 15 years ago. As I remember, he was also trained in Beijing opera too...I think he actually played the female role.. same guy? It was a real sharp contrast between those two personas.. He is as classically trained as they come and is a treasure for sure.. was the only reason I wanted to stay in HK .. to pursue studies with him.
Brinkman

Postby kshurika on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Tim Cartmell.

He does all of the IMA (in addition to some non-IMA and BJJ) and he does them well. He also knows how to use them in a fight.
kshurika
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan