Recovery

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Recovery

Postby Juan on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:07 am

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this because I am having a more difficult time than usual recovering from my training and competition that occured this past weekend. Granted, I got sick with the flu before I fought and it got a bit worse after my fight but this entire week I have been completely out of it. Even performing the Tai Chi form is a huge task. I did feel like I may have overtrained for the fight but I didn't think it was this bad. When I get home from work I have absolutely no desire to work out at all. I was planning on taking a few days off anyways, but the few days have extended to pretty much this entire week.

What do you guys think? Is this normal? I remember when I fought the last time I was in the gym the very next day. Is it psychological? Is it because I lost that my body feels more tired than usual? I'm finally getting my 8 hours of sleep and still feel like crap. Before the fight I think I was getting 4 hours of sleep tops.
Juan
Great Old One

Re: Recovery

Postby Sprint on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:50 am

I remember 10 or so years ago a spate of unexpected deaths among the orienteering world in Finland and Denmark. In those countries orienteering is extremely competitive. What was surprising was that those who were dying were young and extremely fit. It was eventually dicovered that due to the competitive nature of the sport those who had died were training thru colds and flu like symptoms to try to get to/stay at the top. What was happening was that the combination of overtraining and reduced immunity from infection allowed otherwise harmless microbes to attack their heart muscles causing sudden death.

In your case you have flu like symptoms, possible over-training and the psychological stress of competing and losing to contend with. It's a known fact that psychological stress can reduce immunity to infection. Also lack of sleep is extremely bad.

So you need to recover and that means going easy for a bit. You have to learn to work with your body not against it.

Look at your diet - if you are eating crap that won't help either.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:06 am

why don't you stop training for about a month. get outside (beach, woods, whatever), take some walks, get some sun, have the occasional glass of wine. your body is telling you to chill tf out. "When I get home from work I have absolutely no desire to work out at all."

dude there's more to life than training like a demon!

and never have only 4 hours sleep if you can help it :)
Ian

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:25 am

Juan,

Yesterday I was feeling sick and Flu like symptoms, i'd been training hard also. I decided to take a day off and rest. I went and got a full body massage for the sore muscles. I went home and slept about 12 hours and sweated out something bad in my sleep. I feel great today.

Massage therapy is helpful, but rest and sleep are priceless too. "Taiji is there for you, you dont have to be there for Taiji". - Famous chinese doctor

just my 2 cents.

matt
neijia_boxer

Postby Kurt Robbins on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:40 am

Probably a low immune response to physical and physiological/psychological stress response while having the flu.
Lay off and let your body heal.
When you feel better then train again.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Juan on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:56 am

Thanks guys. Yeah, I am listening to my body and getting my rest...it's just that I figured that by now my body would have had time to recover. I guess I am going to extend my vacation from training for at least a couple more days until my body feels "normal" again.

Again, thanks for the input.
Juan
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:00 pm

One must find lightness in the heavy'ness.

You can train on a mild cold but never on a virus.

Find that sense of deep mental and physical relaxation where the body seems to sink into the earth when you are presented with an emotional experience in a place of particular outstanding natural beauty, that one seems to float in awe....if that makes sense. You can feel everything let go.

Find a time to laugh from the heart. and be free of all the stress.....yeah I know it all sounds like hippie shit...the soul needs nourishment as well. Massages are good, anything that is nurturing the self, light, relaxing etc....

Find the sensation of being Light
WongYing
Huajing

Postby fuga on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:55 pm

When you do get back to training (after appropriate rest), you also might want to consider having in mind some very specific training goals. Perhaps working out some of the constructive criticism that folks gave you about your fight. Keep the goals very specific and focused and achievable. That way when you get back into training, you will not be overwhelmed but have given yourself permission to refine a specific skill or aspect.

I find it very useful to consider my training as problem solving.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:38 pm

Juan,

If you're thinking that taking off just one week after having the flu, sleep deprivation, and simultaneously training for and competing in a fight is extensive, your expectations are off-base with reality by an order of magnitude. You've received some good advice so far, and it's gonna take more than just one or two more days for you to fully recover. Make sure that in training to be an intelligent fighter, you don't allow machismo to creep in and sabotage your progress or even cause serious setbacks.
Chris McKinley

Postby TaoJoannes on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:40 pm

When all else fails, I find long bouts of standing meditation, zhuan zhang or whatever, to be indispensable.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Juan wrote:What do you guys think?

Trust your body. Your body wants to tell you something. Oneday when you wake up, you have strong desire to train again, you will know that your body have complete recover. You can not force yourself to have sex if you don't have that "desire".
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:49 pm

Juan wrote: Granted, I got sick with the flu before I fought and it got a bit worse after my fight but this entire week I have been completely out of it.

I think you had a cold - if you'd had flu then you wouldn't have been able to get out of bed, let alone fight! !!

Also - it's only been a week - I think you just need to get some rest - it's only been a week! You need to give your body time to repair itself. Hope you feel better soon.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:51 pm

TaoJoannes wrote:When all else fails, I find long bouts of standing meditation, zhuan zhang or whatever, to be indispensable.

+ 1

Try these:

http://wusource.org/content/stand-still-be-fit-youtube
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Chanchu on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:20 pm

In any kind of exercise there is a point of diminishing return..
You body and mind may be telling you "its time for a vacation" perhaps best to take some time and relax and have fun..

Come back train again stronger when you want-
Chanchu
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan