Lower Basin Training: Ji Bu (Chicken step)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Lower Basin Training: Ji Bu (Chicken step)

Postby I-mon on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:46 pm

good stuff Brady. you've inspired me to start practicing this again, so I was doing it in the backyard this morning.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:58 am

Bodywork wrote:Another interesting point is in dealing with force coming in from the side. With normal movement when a force comes in from the side- you have some substantial and limiting factors (hips and shoulders aligned) in being able to absorb it without losing your posture. With waist turning movement (really from very low, involving a lot of tissue) you can absorb that force and send it around the body and down, or around and up, while being free to move front and back at the same time. So when they think they "Got you" you are both stabilized and positionally free. If you combine that movement with cross-line body work and spiraling, any "energy-in" is used to strengthen the connections held in opposition.

Quite so! Nicely stated indeed. Carry on. ;)

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:12 am

Thought this video was good to explain some of the finer points of what you're doing with the twist:

Although watching the next "XingYi" clip, I'm starting to doubt your guys dedication to the Tru ART! (tm) ;)

Fun times ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Brady on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:32 am

Gotta love finishing off with some good capoeira movement, although the gods of IMA will probably strike us down someday soon :-D
Brady
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Looks like some great IMA material. Would love to learn that. Question: what is that eep-like sound you make at the end of your line?
Chris Fleming

Postby somatai on Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Chris Fleming wrote:Looks like some great IMA material. Would love to learn that. Question: what is that eep-like sound you make at the end of your line?

"sound of thunder" - consolidates the qi and strengthens the dantien.....it should be done with the finish each time.
somatai

Postby meeks on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:23 pm

the copoeira part - I hope you guys aren't doing that around your xing yi instructor...?
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby somatai on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:03 am

meeks wrote:the copoeira part - I hope you guys aren't doing that around your xing yi instructor...?

Peng is very easy going and open. I think he had asked them to show what it looks like because he was curious to see it.
somatai

Postby Brady on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:21 am

Yup, he asked to see it and always gives corrections haha. Really cool teacher.
Brady
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan