Thinking about teaching again

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Thinking about teaching again

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:19 pm

my friend Najim who just won the IKF event in heavyweight divison owns a karate school in Fairfax Va. He needs some help so I offered to do a sampler 6-8 week course in Taijiquan to see if people are interested. he wanted a write up on the art so I submitted this:

Taijiquan or “Tai Chi Chuan” is the name of a style of Chinese boxing that is practiced by millions of people around the world. As a healing martial art, Taijiquan is known for its slow graceful movements. “Taiji” is the name for the “Yin Yang” symbol of two fishes swimming in circle creating balance. One fish is black and the other fish is white symbolizing the change between day and night, hot and cold, increase and decrease. There are many symbolic and philosophical meanings to the Taiji symbol since it was created by the Taoist monks in the monasteries of China thousands of years ago. The word 'Quan' or 'Chuan' means 'fist' or 'boxing'. On a side note Taijiquan is a type of martial arts that leads to 'Kung Fu' (skill attained through hard work). In China, martial arts are referred to as 'Wushu' (War arts) while someone skillful in a particular style is said to have "good kung fu".

Taijiquan became famous in the Qing dynasty (1644–1912) when a young martial artist named Yang Luchan went to Chen village to study the art that was handed down from Chen Changxing (14th generation Chen family) whose lineage was from garrison commander Chen Wanting (9th generation Chen) whose lineage was from the Taoist founder Zhang Sanfeng. Yang Luchan took his art to the capital of Beijing where he became undefeated in Lei Tai (platform fighting). Yang Luchan became known as “Yang the peerless” for his high skill level and became an instructor of martial arts in the Emperor’s Palace to the Royal Guards.

It was in the early 1900’s when Yang Lu Chan’s grandson, Yang Chen fu (3rd generation Yang family)popularized Taijiquan when he travel around China teaching publicly. The original movements were changed, but he retained the essence and principles of the art. Yang Chen Fu wrote several books and articles on Taijiquan, and later became known as Yang Taijiquan, which is the most popular in the world.

Though there are now many modern and family styles of Taijiquan that exist today, all stem from the original 13 postures. These 13 are the 8 energies of: fending off, yielding, pressing, pushing, elbow/knee strikes, yanking, shoulder strikes, splitting, and the 5 movements of: advancing, retreating, rightward, leftward, and centered. The movements later evolved into a series of combat movements containing strikes, kicks, throws, take downs, sweeps, as well as two person training called Tui Shou or ‘sensing hands’. Taijiquan is also practiced with a double edged sword, single edged saber, and spear.

The course being offered is Yang Taijiquan with emphasis on the following: warm-ups, stretching, breathing techniques called ‘qigong’, physical strength and body conditioning, basics: stance work and forms, two person drills, and closing with centering meditation. The emphasis is on martial technique and correct authentic practice which leads to healthy and spiritual well being.
neijia_boxer

Re: Thinking about teaching again

Postby Bill on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:32 pm

That all looks pretty good. good luck with it.

Here are some possible ad slogans...

Tai-chi, it really isn't that gay!

Tai-chi, kicking karates ass for thousands of years.

Tai-chi, no ten year old black belts allowed.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:55 pm

since it is at a Karate school I was thinking more on the lines of-

taking a more Cobra Kai approach- "like steel wrapped in cotton, with no mercy."
neijia_boxer

Postby gretel on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:03 pm

humbly suggest that this is too long and detailed for pre-course advertising. could be a handout after the course starts. The first sentence plus the last paragraph would probably catch more interest.

greel
gretel
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:52 pm

That all looks pretty good. good luck with it.

Here are some possible ad slogans...
Tai-chi, it really isn't that gay!
Tai-chi, kicking karates ass for thousands of years.
Tai-chi, no ten year old black belts allowed.

tai-chee...not just for chee huggers anymore...
tai-chee - because not everyone wants to kick ass.
tai-chee - huggers wanted (based on the VW driver's wanted ads...)
tai-chee - cuz sometimes moving their foot can stop the barrage... (my favorite)
tai-chee - cuz not everyone is an athlete.
tai-chee - cuz the chicks are hairy
tai-chee - save money on soap!
tai-chee - 'just intellectualize it' (based on nike's 'just do it')
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby charles on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:00 pm

gretel wrote:humbly suggest that this is too long and detailed for pre-course advertising. could be a handout after the course starts. The first sentence plus the last paragraph would probably catch more interest.

greel

Agree with Gretel. Just as a resume gets someone interested in considering you for a job - rather than is the vehicle by which they decide who to hire - the ad for the Taiji course ought to interest the perspective student in taking the course, not teach them the course.
charles
Wuji

Postby Walk the Torque on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:02 pm

[quote="meeks"][quote]
tai-chee - cuz the chicks are hairy
tai-chee - save money on soap!

My favourites ;D
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:19 pm

it actually took me awhile to come up with that list....
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:44 am

good feed back on shortening it:

Taijiquan or “Tai Chi Chuan” is the name of a style of Chinese boxing that is practiced by millions of people around the world. As a healing martial art, Taijiquan is known for its slow graceful movements. “Taiji” is the name for the “Yin Yang” symbol and the word 'Quan' or 'Chuan' means 'fist' or 'boxing'.

The course being offered is Yang Taijiquan with emphasis on the following: warm-ups, stretching, breathing techniques called ‘qigong’, physical strength and body conditioning, basics: stance work and forms, two person drills, and closing with centering meditation. The emphasis is on martial technique and correct authentic practice which leads to healthy and spiritual well being.
neijia_boxer

Postby martialartist on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:56 am

the name for the "tai chi symbol" is "太極圖" (tai chi tu)

"太極” means more like a cosmological supreme ultimate...

your shortening removes most other mistakes
martialartist
Mingjing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:49 am

The long description would be good on a webpage or a single page handout.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:52 pm

your shortening removes most other mistakes

which other mistakes did you find? I try to be historically acute, but your feedback is welcome.
neijia_boxer

Postby kreese on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:33 pm

Shortening = good. Also, don't bother lecturing in class. Just do.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:57 am

kreese wrote:Shortening = good. Also, don't bother lecturing in class. Just do.

true that, i cant stand teachers who interrupt the flow with talking so much b.s.

my curriculum has alot to do, there will not be much time to talk. :)
neijia_boxer

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan