Reverse Engineering

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Reverse Engineering

Postby palmslam on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:33 am

I know plenty of folks that would attend some seminars on Combative Baqua with other cool ingrediants thrown in. Everyone here knows you have the knowledge, it's needed out here. I'll drive from Texas, even if one day a week. Maybe, this will wake up some of the teachers that just don't know, or don't want to show the combative side of the arts. And yes, I know everyone isn't after that!

V/r

S. Manning
Last edited by palmslam on Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
palmslam
Anjing

Postby I am... on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:26 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:Thanks Adam. Realism in combat training is something for which I've been a torch carrier and led by example for many years. It won't cost me anything financially beyond gas money there and back. If there are any challenges, they will be in terms of finding a chunk of regular time that will be semi-permanently spoken for and in finding people actually interested in real combat in my area.

Just up the road, there's a great MMA school where I used to teach. I can probably teach there again, but I'm not sure if there will be enough people interested in using an IMA/TMA approach for actual combat to justify my time. There's plenty of interest in pure sport combat around here, and that school already does a fantastic job of it. When I teach a regular public class, I teach for free, so it's really the time commitment I'd be concerned with. There would have to be enough folks showing up regularly to feel like I could justify it. Ideally, I'd like to have an idea of at least a few people willing to commit before I went ahead with it. We'll see.

It would be cool to see your take on Bagua as applies to sports combat, since I havent seen much of that done personally. I would be really interested in seeing your approach to CQC training, as that is more the direction my personal training tends to head. I hope that others see what you are doing and eventually follow suit, the world could use some more sobering up when it comes to MA.
Last edited by I am... on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:14 pm

I appreciate the feedback guys. Hopefully, there might be one or two guys here locally that feel similarly about it. If I decide to do it, I'll try to keep everyone posted. As to the balance between MMA and CQC, the functional training is so similar most of the time that it can blend seamlessly. Which way it tips might have as much to do with whom I'm training and what their objectives are than anything else.
Chris McKinley

Postby TrainingDummy on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:42 pm

@Chris McKinley

If you could tape some of those training sessions and make them available it would be much appreciated.

I'm very keen to see how your theories play out into lesson plans and skill progressions.

Thanks,
Dummy
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Sorry, man...I must be the only guy left alive without a video camera. At this point, I can't even commit to doing it yet, and won't be able to for a few weeks till I get an idea of whether or not the interest here locally will even be there. If I do get it going and get the format going smoothly, my idea would ultimately be to put some material on DVD. It would be rare enough that maybe somebody might find it interesting. If it really got going well, I'd be interested in taking the show on the road and doing some seminars, workshops, whatever, if only to give others an example of a format to follow if they have similar interests.
Chris McKinley

Postby Plante on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:42 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:Sorry, man...I must be the only guy left alive without a video camera. At this point, I can't even commit to doing it yet, and won't be able to for a few weeks till I get an idea of whether or not the interest here locally will even be there. If I do get it going and get the format going smoothly, my idea would ultimately be to put some material on DVD. It would be rare enough that maybe somebody might find it interesting. If it really got going well, I'd be interested in taking the show on the road and doing some seminars, workshops, whatever, if only to give others an example of a format to follow if they have similar interests.

That would be splendid. I'd sign in for a seminar or an intensive of some sort. Hope it works out for you, I believe you have something to share.
Like dragon, like phoenix.
Plante
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:33 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:Sorry, man...I must be the only guy left alive without a video camera. At this point, I can't even commit to doing it yet, and won't be able to for a few weeks till I get an idea of whether or not the interest here locally will even be there. If I do get it going and get the format going smoothly, my idea would ultimately be to put some material on DVD. It would be rare enough that maybe somebody might find it interesting. If it really got going well, I'd be interested in taking the show on the road and doing some seminars, workshops, whatever, if only to give others an example of a format to follow if they have similar interests.

DVD would be fine by me, thanks!
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan