Wen county named the official birthplace of TJQ

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Wen county named the official birthplace of TJQ

Postby Andy_S on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:17 pm

SNIP
For such and the like reasons, I also declined an offer to teach a big group of hobbyist (I see my self as one, too), instead I stay a student as long as I live here, in order to respect the maybe unresonable feelings of the Chinese, automatically loosing face, being taught something Chinese by a bignouse.
SNIP

I am English, but if I met a Chinese with a PhD in, say English literature, or a Chinese who was a professional footballer, I would not automatically assume that I know more about these English arts/sports than him. This is nothing to do with face, just common sense.

I grant that Chinese may be able to discuss the cultural background of Chinese arts with more authority than a Westerner, but unfortunatley, Justin declined to answer specific questions related to his various dodgy statements. (For obvious reasons: He was wrong.)

SNIP
On a worldwide site like here, I also like to stay moderate and tolerant, even if it means to read some unfounded beginner's talk. Diversity is what I like, as many points of fiew as possible. And banning socalled trolls just does not fit with my understanding of an open forum.
SNIP

The 'unfounded beginner' you are referring to was not banned - he decided to retire from the forums after exasperating a number of members with his attempt to cultivate a superior/didactic attitude. It was his choice.

Though I notice that after his post above announcing that he was departing, he posted again...
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:37 pm

Yeah, that is very true, for me and many logical thinking people also.

And I've got the Ph.D. in sinology, so I would have such an expertise to talk on the cultural background of Chinese Arts.

But still, anybody living in China will know that mentality here is a bit different. Sometimes the Chinese even refuse to talk to me in Chinese, not because I speak unclear, but because it just cannot be, lol.

So he was not banned, that's good to hear, and maybe he will show up again, a little more modest.
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Daniel on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:56 am

Yeah, I remember that same attitude from Beijing when I was in my teens doing Bagua there. You just have to nod and smile, like Omar says, and then walk away and get a coffee. I also got that reaction, "You´re speaking in chinese but you´re a westerner so you can´t, so I´m not listening to chinese, you´re speaking english which I don´t understand." LOL.

Re the link, TD, like I mentioned above, I´m not plugging that school (and I´m guessing you have more info about it from before, since it´s german), it´s just one of the few and easy to read clear links I´ve found on wude. Wude should be such a fundamental thing for genuine MA and for being a human being, and putting that link up answers basic questions. Like I said, if you have any other example, please post or PM, and I´ll use that on my site instead.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:36 am

I can guarantee that I would be about 1000 times more tolerant in person.Wouldn't have a conversation with him thought.

I bitched about him here I think for two reasons. One is that I was fighting for a relationship. I actually really enjoy a chance to have a little more Chinese centered thread once in a while. I like discussing the language and if he had changed his tone a bit there was some great potential. Just that little bit of argument got me yanking my copy of the classics off the shelf and dusting off my classical Chinese again.

The other reason though is, honestly, I have been on summer break with entirely too much time on my hands. I always get more argumentative during the summer. My pay is low and there is little to do here during the summer on a salary like mine. I went back and edited several of my posts just to tone them down actually because I don't think it's really worth arguing like that but after 2 months of just sitting around in the heat every afternoon I get bored. I still kind of wish he had stayed to argue.

Anyways, school starts tomorrow and my class load is going to be particularly heavy this year *groan* so ignoring stuff like this should get easier. Can't believe I have 24 classes/week to teach this semester. :o

What was the topic here again?
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:48 am

TD,
Multiple posters on multiple threads reached out to ask for clarification and make clear that the particular style of communication he was using was not going to be conducive to discussion on this forum. People offered advice and even help with the language. All of those gestures were ignored and the behavior continued. It's like the guy on the street who asks you for $10 to buy a bus ticket out of town. You give him the $10 and next week the same guy approaches you again asking for $10 with the exact same story. It's one thing to help someone out, and it's another thing entirely to let someone take you for a ride in a misguided attempt at social behavior.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:22 pm

Omar (bailewen) wrote:I can guarantee that I would be about 1000 times more tolerant in person.Wouldn't have a conversation with him thought.

I bitched about him here I think for two reasons. One is that I was fighting for a relationship. I actually really enjoy a chance to have a little more Chinese centered thread once in a while. I like discussing the language and if he had changed his tone a bit there was some great potential. Just that little bit of argument got me yanking my copy of the classics off the shelf and dusting off my classical Chinese again.

The other reason though is, honestly, I have been on summer break with entirely too much time on my hands. I always get more argumentative during the summer. My pay is low and there is little to do here during the summer on a salary like mine. I went back and edited several of my posts just to tone them down actually because I don't think it's really worth arguing like that but after 2 months of just sitting around in the heat every afternoon I get bored. I still kind of wish he had stayed to argue.

Anyways, school starts tomorrow and my class load is going to be particularly heavy this year *groan* so ignoring stuff like this should get easier. Can't believe I have 24 classes/week to teach this semester. :o

What was the topic here again?

Bhassler & Omar, I can understand what you say, alright!
I feel especially with Omar, as I just came back from cooler Europe, having spent some premium vacation with lots of beer and cheese, lol, but also some good training, bringing 2 of my teachers over there for an intensive week.

The long summer heat also makes me a bit uneasy, so I always need a break, at least some time at a nice beach, if it can't be a cooler place.
24 hrs a week? That would kill me. We just came down from 13 to 10 hrs., and it will be the first term out of 23 that we don't work overtime anymore, ministry of education seems broke.

So good luck with that load, I'll try to get more training in, during the work week, as it used to be more intensive on my 3 free days. And we still got 2 weeks of, starting on 14th. Maybe additional influenza A breaks, lol?
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan