ultra-relaxed taiji. (ben lo?)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

ultra-relaxed taiji. (ben lo?)

Postby ninepalace on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:52 am

was it someone here who posted that they felt ben lo's calf while he was doing the form and that it was exceedingly soft?

bob smith says of everyone he's done tui shou with there's only two he couldn't push ever, cheng man ch'ing and ben lo.

anyone have any training gems they've acquired from this man?
ninepalace

Re: ultra-relaxed taiji. (ben lo?)

Postby Formosa Neijia on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:36 am

ninepalace wrote:was it someone here who posted that they felt ben lo's calf while he was doing the form and that it was exceedingly soft?

It's interesting that you mention this. T.T. Liang has it in his book where he went to meet a supposed hermit with awesome taiji. The hermit had Liang hold a stance, felt that his calf was hard, and then said Liang had a long way to go.

I never understood that until I got a heel spur from overtraining. Boy do I understand it now. Having soft calves and a soft body is definitely one of the by-products, or perhaps even a goal, of taiji training, at least as I train it now.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby ninepalace on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:00 am

Formosa Neijia wrote:It's interesting that you mention this. T.T. Liang has it in his book where he went to meet a supposed hermit with awesome taiji. The hermit had Liang hold a stance, felt that his calf was hard, and then said Liang had a long way to go.

i read that too. what's also interesting is that, if i recall correctly, after meeting that hermit, ben felt cheng man ch'ing's leg in that same golden rooster posture and it was "wood" just like his.

so ben being able to maintain a soft calf while doing the form seems off the hook.
ninepalace

Postby maxashton on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:32 am

Potentially understated question: How is this achieved?
I've heard this mentioned, and I'm always encouraged to relax during forms and zz, but how is this level of relaxation in posture achieved?
maxashton
Santi

Postby ninepalace on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:47 am

maxashton wrote:Potentially understated question: How is this achieved?
I've heard this mentioned, and I'm always encouraged to relax during forms and zz, but how is this level of relaxation in posture achieved?

it's gotta be an issue of balance, no? i mean, if your standing w/ the calf muscles barely engaged, the only thing fighting gravity must be your bones.

now that i think about it, one of my taiji teachers always talked about standing in "bone line balance". hmmm...
ninepalace

Postby maxashton on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:58 am

I suppose logically thinking it has to be. I read an article a few days ago about zz being to condition the autonomous musculature that controls balance into being faster and stronger. Do you think that meshes with the bones idea?
maxashton
Santi

Postby Formosa Neijia on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:22 am

maxashton wrote:Potentially understated question: How is this achieved?

It's interesting that this comes up now because I just asked Chen Yun-ching about it today. He suggested it was just a by product of correct training. In my case, it's also a matter of a LOT of stretching. It's the only thing that keeps the pain at bay. Softening those calves is a must.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby jkuo on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:29 am

maxashton wrote:I suppose logically thinking it has to be. I read an article a few days ago about zz being to condition the autonomous musculature that controls balance into being faster and stronger. Do you think that meshes with the bones idea?

Where did you read about ZZ being about conditioning autonomous muscalture? I don't think that's its primary training purpose. If that were the case, you'd probably get better and faster results standing on a bosu ball.

ZZ (from my skewed, biased perspective) is about developing and refining body awareness and body control. A stationary stance allows you to feel how you use your body to control your balance and structure. In this simple training framework, you don't have to worry about the complexities that arise during motion, so you can really focus your attention on all the details of all the parts of your body. It's a way of developing awareness of how to control and arrange your structure so that you can bear your weight primarily through the body structure (bones, ligaments, and tendons) while leaving your muscles relaxed and free for movement, power generation, etc.
jkuo
Mingjing

Postby qiphlow on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:25 am

jkuo wrote:
ZZ (from my skewed, biased perspective) is about developing and refining body awareness and body control. A stationary stance allows you to feel how you use your body to control your balance and structure. In this simple training framework, you don't have to worry about the complexities that arise during motion, so you can really focus your attention on all the details of all the parts of your body. It's a way of developing awareness of how to control and arrange your structure so that you can bear your weight primarily through the body structure (bones, ligaments, and tendons) while leaving your muscles relaxed and free for movement, power generation, etc.

+1
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby maxashton on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:16 am

Here's the article i read: http://www.yiquan.org.uk/art-zz.html

Perhaps i misunderstood, i am but a newbie.
maxashton
Santi

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:38 am

here is from a guy who studied with CMC in Hawaii-

Here is perhaps some food for thought on the topic 'relaxed vs.
contracted' muscles.

Ben Lo, who learned directly from Professor Cheng, would demonstrate
to students his ability to withstand the push of 3 or 4 students
against his ward-off posture. At the same time he asked watching
students to test his arm and his leg muscles to see if they were
contracted. Amazingly they were as loose as if he was sitting in a
chair. Ben then explained this is the result of years of the
cultivation of chi.
neijia_boxer

Postby TaoJoannes on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:24 am

jkuo wrote:
maxashton wrote:I suppose logically thinking it has to be. I read an article a few days ago about zz being to condition the autonomous musculature that controls balance into being faster and stronger. Do you think that meshes with the bones idea?

Where did you read about ZZ being about conditioning autonomous muscalture? I don't think that's its primary training purpose. If that were the case, you'd probably get better and faster results standing on a bosu ball.

Or what about doing ZZ on a bosu?

Or better yet, the stationary elements. :)
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:39 am

It would be too easy...

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:23 am

I was just going to plug the old pacific rim. Who could deny me that?

:)

S- king of the teenagers
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby maxashton on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:58 pm

My kitten-fu is already strong. Excuse me, i must take a power nap.
Now i remember why i liked this forum. :D
Last edited by maxashton on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxashton
Santi

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan