Traditional CMA drills for speed and power?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Traditional CMA drills for speed and power?

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:53 pm

got evaluated by coach during boxing sparring for upcoming fight. he said i had right ideas but need to increase speed and power, nothing bad, but easily fixed he said. my punch count per round was low also.

got me thinking of some traditional CMA i should try?

on a side note- after first few unsuccessful rounds I went southpaw and got better. ( i am smallest in class) i found Xingyi: pao to be very effective a few times.
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Re: Traditional CMA drills for speed and power?

Postby Juan on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Hey Matt,

This is a boxing match or MT fight right? Instead at looking at CMA for answers to your questions I would highly recommend working more on either of those disciplines for right now. Ask you boxing coach about techniques to increase punching power/speed.

Just my 2 cents
Juan
Great Old One

Postby DaDa on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 pm

Doesn't xingxi train spear for power?
I've heard of it somewhere, but i'm not sure.
動靜無始
自然而然

虛虛實實
變化無端
DaDa
Huajing

Postby Sprint on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:35 pm

Reading between the lines I am making a big assumption that you may be too tense. You said you are the smallest in the class -maybe that leads to a fear of being hit, so you tense up a bit too much. Usually the answer is to relax more, not worry about getting hit/become accustomed to it and the speed and power will flow.

Speed is not just about moving but also thinking. I'm not trying to suggest you are slow witted, I expect that you can see well enough what's going on but just can't get yourself moving fast enough. So you need to use your intellect to perceive more quickly. Perception means interpretation in this case - that is interpreting the leakage/signs that precedes the attack.

So my suggestion is zhan zhuang. People always move before they make a move if you get me, and zhan zhuang will help you see that. That will make you faster.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:02 am

my tai chi/boxing coach from college days said this:

"power is speedXmass increase speed by turning thumb over-snap the punches, increase mass by using correct stances and turning your core, using the strength of your legs. your stance is not correct for boxing, it is the source of your problems with power and mobility."
neijia_boxer

Postby ppscat on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:51 am

I found this interesting, don't know if it would help you in your specific need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uXwslU-dgY

ppscat
Anjing

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:58 am

I dont think punching paper is going to do much, but i will follow my old tai chi coach on stance and mass.

my current boxing coach has me doing this for speed and power.- shadow boxing using 5 count combination and using deep breathing.
neijia_boxer

Postby johnwang on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:46 am

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Juan on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:59 am

Matt,

I'm sure you already knew this but shadowboxing holding 3-5lbs dumbells helps with punching speed.

Juan
Juan
Great Old One

Postby johnrieber on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:21 pm

from chen--and totally asking for jokes, around here: shake the long heavy pole. if you're a small guy--and i'm from that world--it's very helpful.

and: more relaxation and concentration on shen in form yields more speed. we have slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscles. develop the latter, and amp up your connection to them via intention and the 'internal' structure that lets them operate efficiently, without getting bogged down in slow-twitch.
johnrieber

Postby Mut on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:09 am

loosen the waist off. try turning the upper torso and letting the arms swing against the body. Only lock the hips and keep the lower body seperate. Once you co-ordinate this seperation you can integrate the hips back in. but even without the hips a loose waist will increase your power substantially and if worked right will also increase your speed.
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby eastpaw on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:49 pm

<quick reply>

AFAIK, speed in the IMA comes more from whole-body movement than the arm. Stance practice to integrate your structure so that even small movements convey the whole body's force is one of the best ways to develops both speed and power. I've found that gloves really muck this up though, but I probably just suck.

Besides that... I dunno. Punch against resistance? You could use light barbells, heavy gloves, wrist weights, giant rubber bands tied to solid structures, etc. All methods that all three of my IMA teachers have strongly advised against, or would, but they probably work anyway.
eastpaw
Anjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan