boxing gloves pros/cons question

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

boxing gloves pros/cons question

Postby everything on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:12 pm

how does putting on large gloves change your training emphasis? what do you give up? i haven't trained any boxing or kickboxing but putting on those big honking gloves just makes me want to punch like crazy and forget anything else. maybe that's just the novelty of it, or maybe that's fine. but what do you do if you want to integrate the pros back into ima or mma and minimize any cons.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: boxing gloves pros/cons question

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:56 pm

You just don't use the 16 ouncers. Even the 12's tend to cause the same limited thinking.
Chris McKinley

Postby cerebus on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:05 pm

I think using gloves can help you to become creative in adapting your chosen art to the limitations of using them. They help you to think outside the box", so to speak...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:44 am

Chris McKinley wrote:You just don't use the 16 ouncers. Even the 12's tend to cause the same limited thinking.

seems like I can only think "punch punch punch". pretty powerful pyschological effect.

cerebus wrote:I think using gloves can help you to become creative in adapting your chosen art to the limitations of using them. They help you to think outside the box", so to speak...

tried to think of other things to do but it was difficult. hmmm.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:55 am

It also depends on what your training objectives are. If you're wanting to do MMA tourneys, then to some extent you'll probably need to get used to it. If you're goal is strictly self-defense, then you can do away with the boxing gloves entirely. You could also use MMA gloves or simply make an even lighter version of your own out of work gloves or mechanics' gloves with the fingers cut out. In sport, you're going to be punching all the time. In real-world self-defense, you won't be....especially not to the skull. So where's your particular emphasis?
Chris McKinley

Postby BonesCom on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:36 pm

It also depends on your exposure to gloves. For instance, somebody that is not familiar with boxing/gloves would do different things compared to someone who has trained boxing/watched boxing/mucked around with his mates in the garage with the old man's gloves. Boxing gloves make me want to swing my arms, not punch as such, probably because I fit into the latter category above and they make my hands/arms heavier
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby cerebus on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:42 pm

And that's part of training (or re-training) one's natural responses. Everyone's natural inclination is to swing their arms wildly to hit as hard as possible. Then we learn more efficient, faster ways of hitting and we train those until they become natural.

Training with gloves just takes you back to square one to allow you to re-train your reflexes to an even higher level. When you can use the methods of your chosen art as effectively and instinctively WITH the gloves as you can without them (and in the midst of someone trying to pummel you with their own gloved fists) then you have come that much closer to mastering a certain aspect of your art...
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:20 pm

Just the act of putting boxing gloves on tends to make me subconsciously switch to "san shou/san da" mode, something I have actually worked to train out of my system. It is strange how strong that effect is though, my body has a pretty strong movement memory associated with wearing gloves. Likely it had something to do with how I trained that stuff when I began, I would be curious to learn more about it.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby JessOBrien on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:56 pm

I like bigger gloves because then I don't worry as much about hurting people and I can use more techniques without fear.

Each different kind of glove gives a different experience. The more the better.

Each different kind of sparring gives a different experience. Full contact, muay thai, karate point sparring, boxing rules, grappling etc. Each one is a skill unto itself, and all have something to teach.

The more uncomfortable, annoying and limiting, the better. That forces you to up your game.

When I spar a person from sport fighting, I always fight by their rules. It's like having one hand behind your back, it makes you better in the long run, even if it sucks at the time...

Too many bros in kungfu don't want to spar with gloves because it limits their techniques. That may be true, but it's a good thing, you learn more that way.

Mileage may vary!! I don't know squat about fighting, this is just from the perspective of sparring, play fighting.

Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:18 pm

JessOBrien wrote:I like bigger gloves because then I don't worry as much about hurting people and I can use more techniques without fear.

Each different kind of glove gives a different experience. The more the better.

Each different kind of sparring gives a different experience. Full contact, muay thai, karate point sparring, boxing rules, grappling etc. Each one is a skill unto itself, and all have something to teach.

The more uncomfortable, annoying and limiting, the better. That forces you to up your game.

When I spar a person from sport fighting, I always fight by their rules. It's like having one hand behind your back, it makes you better in the long run, even if it sucks at the time...

Too many bros in kungfu don't want to spar with gloves because it limits their techniques. That may be true, but it's a good thing, you learn more that way.

Mileage may vary!! I don't know squat about fighting, this is just from the perspective of sparring, play fighting.

Jess O

Yes. This.
Last edited by cerebus on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:35 pm

gloves get in their own way and slow my hands down. they also eliminate many hand techniques. I'm not really a fan. but they would be good to use like ankle weights for kicking, to speed up your hands.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby TrainingDummy on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:50 pm

JessOBrien wrote:I like bigger gloves because then I don't worry as much about hurting people and I can use more techniques without fear.

I like the bigger gloves because I don't worry as much about getting hit, and I can use more techniques without fear :)

As someone with a long term neck injury I prefer to either have big, soft, fluffy gloves thrown at me, or none at all. Smaller gloves would encourage my partners to hit me with more force, which generally ends my training for the evening.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:41 pm

nianfong wrote:gloves get in their own way and slow my hands down. they also eliminate many hand techniques. I'm not really a fan. but they would be good to use like ankle weights for kicking, to speed up your hands.

Basically, if you cane effectively use your art while wearing clumsy, bulky gloves, then you will be that much better when you're unhampered by them. Like if you practice running an obstacle course with clown shoes on.... ;D
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby eastpaw on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:54 pm

everything wrote:putting on those big honking gloves just makes me want to punch like crazy and forget anything else

Me too. Throws my proprioception all off-kilter and makes my fists go everywhere but where they're supposed to go. But I've only tried on gloves thrice, so maybe one needs to get used to them.

On the other hand, getting used to them would probably result in changed technique. Heck, even boxers no longer punch like they used to before gloves came about. I'm thinking training in gloves all the time would warp your IMA power generation method.
eastpaw
Anjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan