When life gets in the way

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: When life gets in the way

Postby SPJ on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:35 am

ParryPerson wrote:How do you guys keep it in focus? I have very little worries, no debt, no horrible things, but I get distracted.

I have fallen on some hard times and can't afford classes anymore, but that got me so down I didn't even make a routine practice of what I did know. It might be a while until I can afford classes again, but for some reason I feel weird practicing without someone fixing things here and there during the week.

And I was thinking... 'jeez, if I lose it after this and I don't even have any distractions... how do the other guys do it?'

I'm almost certian a lot of you hold full time jobs, are married, have kids, have other hobbies....

how do you find the time for practice? If this is a old topic please let me know, I'd love to read it!

yes. it is very difficult to make time. balancing life and work etc.

I usually make 20 to 25 min in the morning.

and 1 to 2 hour in the evening.

of course, sometimes, it is not possible if we have to work or attending family and friends.

on the weekend, I would make 2 to 3 hours in the morning or afternoom for more extensive practice.

:)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Parry-
What did you end up learning? You were studying Fu Pa Kua with a student
of Johnny Lee? How did that go. What gets taught at beginner level?
roger hao

Postby mrtoes on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:48 pm

What the others said. You need to want to do it. I feel good in my life when I train, if I don't train for a couple of days, I feel cranky, and in the long run have problems doing my job (sitting behind a computer terminal rapidly moving my fingers). It's def easier when you have lessons going though. I get a lot more out of lessons when I train and because my teacher is very good at telling me what I need to be working on I can see fairly rapid results with the time invested. However I spent a couple of years travelling when I didn't have any regular instruction (only a very dog eared copy of Opening The Energy Gates by BK Frantzis) and it was hard to make much progress. Mostly I just managed to keep things together but even so there were a few things I was able to progress with during this time. It's gotta be part of your life. But don't worry if you're not there yet, it took me a couple of years to really take responsibility for my training and take it seriously :)

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby ParryPerson on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:50 pm

roger hao wrote:Hi Parry-
What did you end up learning? You were studying Fu Pa Kua with a student
of Johnny Lee? How did that go. What gets taught at beginner level?

It was great when I could afford to go (it's not expensive I'm just broke), I've never had a more gracious and understanding teacher. At the beginner level, which I have not finished yet, were warm ups, drills, (rise overturn fall, dragon serves teacup, etc,) then mud step/circle walking. Lots of it. Some stance training, Then 8 Palms (pre heaven) circle walking and a few applications. If I have my history and reading right, this would serve as the basis to get the body in the 'shape' (after however long it takes for you to get it) to go to basic yin yang/dragon form.

I spent most of my time learning the single palm change through drills/pre heaven that I didn't have time to notice the others learning the other forms and loved every second of my classes.

After this thread I went out and spent some thinking time about what I was trying to gain from all this, and daily practice, at least in any form I can make time for it, will be part of my day.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby qiphlow on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:00 pm

just make sure to keep it enjoyable. when it becomes a chore, then it's time to take a break, or maybe find something else to do.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:28 pm

ParryPerson wrote:It was great when I could afford to go (it's not expensive I'm just broke), I've never had a more gracious and understanding teacher. At the beginner level, which I have not finished yet, were warm ups, drills, (rise overturn fall, dragon serves teacup, etc,) then mud step/circle walking. Lots of it. Some stance training, Then 8 Palms (pre heaven) circle walking and a few applications. If I have my history and reading right, this would serve as the basis to get the body in the 'shape' (after however long it takes for you to get it) to go to basic yin yang/dragon form.

Sounds tp me like you have everything you need to study dilligently building a great foundation from which everything stems, stop crying and get to work, always stay in touch with your teacher, he'll be interested in your progress without his tutelage, your initiative help develop a quid pro quo with him.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:11 pm

qiphlow wrote:just make sure to keep it enjoyable. when it becomes a chore, then it's time to take a break, or maybe find something else to do.

I agree with Jeff.

Basically you have to figure out why you're training, go from there and do what you want to do.

Also don't get down on yourself for taking a few days off. Sometimes in life it's not easy to find time.

I work evenings, have a kid and another on the way. I don't get to train with CMA guys very often.

I could have just trained solo but I've been there, done that and I'll tell you that it's not easy to stay motivated to train when on your own. So I joined a local MMA gym and that's what I do now.

I still do the CMAs, but without CMA players around I train mostly train with MMA players.

I do martial arts because I like martial arts so I can't complain.

Do martial arts for you and no one else.

As someone else said, "Just do it."
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan