Homemade Training Equipment

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Homemade Training Equipment

Postby wiesiek on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:43 pm

master move
-bow-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby fuga on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:36 am

John,

I appreciate you sharing your training equipment. This is the kind of stuff that I was looking for. How heavy is the concrete on the end of the pole?

Is there a single source (book or online) that has all the shuai jiao training equipment?

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:45 am

Hi JW,

As you know I posted the vid on youtube so more people can view it and see what types of training SC brings to the table.

As you know a lot of martial artists are closed minded about other methods but I'm sure some will "get it."

Using your training tips I've had a lot more success at judo. Before I was usually just a training dummy but now I am pulling off a few throws. I practice with the guys from time to time but mostly I throw the dummy and do "shadow" SC.

Thanks,

Greg

Btw, I got a question from a poster about how it's made. How should I respond?

Also could someone do this using a standard weights and take the weight off one end?
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:53 am

fuga wrote: How heavy is the concrete on the end of the pole?

Is there a single source (book or online) that has all the shuai jiao training equipment?

I have 2 single heads. One is 30 lbs and the other is about 45 - 50 lbs. The lighter one is called 天秤(Tien Cheng) - heaven weight. It's used to throw over your head. The heavy one is called 地秤(Die Cheng) - earth weight. It's used to drag along the ground. The one that I used in that clip is the heavy one because I don't want to smash my wooden deck. I used my lighter one on the dirt ground instead.

Most SC books donot have the complete list of the traditional equipment training. I intend to write one but I'm just too lazy sometime.

grzegorz wrote:Btw, I got a question from a poster about how it's made. How should I respond? Also could someone do this using a standard weights and take the weight off one end?

- Drill 6 holes throught one end of a PVC pipe.
- Put 3 short iron sticks into those holes.
- Put it into a container (such as a flower pot).
- Pour concret into it.

The problem about the standart bench press weight is it's loose between the weight and the bar. It may be dangerous during the work out IMO (if throw over your head).
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:08 pm

I'll post that.

Using your training tips I've had a lot more success at judo. Before I was usually just a training dummy but now I am pulling off a few throws. I practice with the guys from time to time but mostly I throw the dummy and do "shadow" SC.

Thanks,

Greg

Btw, I've also been having more luck trying to stay on my feet while I pull off a throw. I like sacrifice throws, especially sumi gaeshi, but I'm realizing that when you try to stay on your feet you have much more control until the end of the throw. I can see why this is the goal in SC.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby fuga on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks, John, and I look forward to the book. Stop being so lazy! :)
fuga
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:22 pm

fuga wrote:Thanks, John, and I look forward to the book.

Me too.

It would be great if there was a companion DVD to go with it too.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan