Two way stretch

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Two way stretch

Postby bailewen on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:43 pm

I don't really understand how the question applies to that pose. :/

If I can talk my wife into cooperating I'll make a clip of this one and one other exercise for contrast although I'm not fantastic at it myself. In terms of keeping my balance, I can't really do any better than Graham did. I was just thinking that there is another one leg pose on the ball of the foot that I find a lot easier where the free foot is out front.

This one is much easier than the other one because the limbs are out farther (horizontally) from the body.

I guess I just wouldn't think much about the hips. The focus in the first one is on the upwards stretch which is why I thought it was pertinent to this thread. Done right, it absolutely is a "two way stretch". It also helps develop that cross body connection that I think bodywork is always on about. Remember you are stretching right hand to left foot and vice versa. I'm probably saying too much already. :-\
Last edited by bailewen on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby ppscat on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Guess I didn't understand the pose then. I just twist my hips so that the center of mass were aligned to the standing leg, so that's why it was much easier, I meant be able to keep up there for those 5-6 seconds you mention. Didn't try to say it was an easy pose. I could barely stand 2 seconds with eyes closed. Thanks for your help and sharing the exercise, won't bother you with further questions, that clip of yours would help a lot.
Last edited by ppscat on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ppscat
Anjing

Postby bailewen on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:37 pm

Seriously dude, if you can only hold it for 5 or 6 seconds, just do whatever's easiest for you.

When I said that 5 or 6 seconds was pretty good, I was thinking in the context that most folks, on their first attempt, can simply not hold the posture at all. 5 or 6 seconds means that you did find the balance point. I only added all that detail because Graham managed 30 or 40 seconds on his first time out.

My experience is that most folks can not get into a proper horse stance...period. It takes a little training. How about a low twist stance like in the Xing Yi dragon form? Even trained folks generally have trouble going all the way down with it. Shoot for a single minute. If you can get that far, then it's time to add difficulty. My guess is that just getting from 6 seconds on up to 10 will result in some serious leg swinging and arm waving.

Think about it this way: What other MA posture can you only hold for about 5 or 6 seconds before you fall over? If that's your limit, that's pretty good but it's also really not very much. I might even compare it to a pistol. Most people can't even do one. Occasionally a dude with some serious training can do a couple. 5 or 6 deserves praise but there's at least one or two guys on this board who can do 20.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan