Amazing interview and blueprint

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Amazing interview and blueprint

Postby JAB on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Whether you are a grappler, kickboxer, or forms competitor you will want to check out an amazing interview David Meyer offered to Stephan Kesting of http://www.grapplearts.com. David Meyer is one of the "Dirty Dozen" (first 12 non-Brazilians to attain black belt level in BJJ), and is considered one of grapplings foremost competitors still competing to this day throughout the world.

In this 90 minute interview David offers tons of suggestions, tips, and opinions on subjects ranging from mental preparation to point breakdowns, and fight strategy.
You can find the link to the interview [url="http://threeharmonies.blogspot.com/2009/08/amazing-david-meyer-interview.html"]here[/url]

Also John Will has made available a great tool for grapplers (can be easily changed for those who solely do striking arts); what he calls a Grapplers Blueprint. Something so easy does not seem to hold the power to better your game, but trust me when I tell you it certainly does! Check it out and let me know what you think, you can find the blueprint here http://threeharmonies.blogspot.com/2009 ... print.html

Enjoy,
JAB
Last edited by JAB on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAB

Re: Amazing interview and blueprint

Postby fuga on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:37 pm

I listened to David Meyer's interview and really enjoyed it, especially as I am training for a BJJ tournament in October.

I'll check out the Grappler's Blueprint. Thanks for the lead.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby josh on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:33 pm

I listened to the interview just a week before competing in my first BJJ tournament, it was very helpful! Lots of good material over at that site.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:08 am

Glad you both liked it.
Josh how did you do?
Good luck Pete. You will learn a ton on the day of the event!
JAB

Postby everything on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:19 am

thanks a lot. that blueprint is really helpful. will definitely print it off and use it for note taking after bjj classes.

I think it can be used like notation (coded notes) of chess games. You know pieces move certain ways. If you write down what happens in a roll/match, you can go back and study your own moves and get your coach to help you look at what else to do or focus on.

Very nice. Thanks a lot. haven't checked out the interview yet.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby josh on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:33 am

JAB wrote:Glad you both liked it.
Josh how did you do?
Good luck Pete. You will learn a ton on the day of the event!

I was pretty nervous... did about as I expected, let's just say I still have a lot to work on 8-) Anyway, I'm glad to get the first one out of the way, I'm hoping that doing these competitions will get easier in the future.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:46 am

Good for getting out there, Josh. I anticipate a similar experience at my first tournament as well. I see it as an extension of my training - just with a lot of other factors thrown in there - nervousness, unfamiliar format and somebody who is going to try to thrash me. Should be fun!
fuga
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:04 am

"easier" perhaps not. Will you know what to expect and deal with it better...certainly ;) It is all about experience and learning brother. Go in with that attitude and you will never lose!

Cheers
Jake
JAB

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan