closest weapon to closest target

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

closest weapon to closest target

Postby everything on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:09 pm

do you usually do this? do you have a rough guideline of range of % for this idea?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: closest weapon to closest target

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:20 pm

It's an alright idea, but too often people get bogged down mentally in playing a game of matching, and it slows them down and gets them dancing to the other guy's tune. In vigorous sparring, nevermind real combat, both guys are moving around so much, so quickly, and so randomly that it's impossible to be dogmatic about the principle.
Chris McKinley

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Natural predators of the wild, when taking down a prey , will make key contact and staying on top of of the prey without breaking this contact. In making this contact , what is key is that it is usually in such a way that the weapon of the prey are easily controllable or the the predator is in so close and tight, the weapon of the prey is ineffectual. If you find your way into your opponents center, he will try to escape, your goal is to maintain your grip(speaking figuratively), and do as much damage as possible while you are there.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:11 pm

The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby klonk on Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:24 pm

The first I heard of it was on "Longstreet," the fictional adventures of a blind detective. A guest star introduced it. Wait...I'll think of his name in a minute.

Joke time: Bruce Lee said he got the role of Kato on The Green Hornet because he was the only one who could say "Brett Reed." True story.

In short I do not think this idea should lead anyone beyond what you can do while being stable, which is perhaps a truism.
Last edited by klonk on Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:34 pm

Lee was only talking about striking - he did not grapple much. Moreover his WC was a 'fast hands' stystem. IMA tends to bridge or control before striking: Best to be hands on than simply pow-pow-pow, IMHO. Many power shots - crosses, Thai kickes, etc - are NOT the nearest weapon

Probably best used in pre-emptive situations. Many power shots - crosses, Thai kickes, etc - are NOT the nearest weapon. JKD is criticized by WC people for being overly focussed on front hand rather than being ambidextrous.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:51 am

Agreed, Andy. A good idea doesn't have to be true in all cases to still be a good idea. I'll draw a parallel with the neijia admonition to always maintain zhong ding (central equilibrium). It's a great idea, generally, and we can get into all the wonderful benefits of a central axis that is plumb to the force of gravity. However, it's suicidally stupid against someone armed with a blade. As I've talked about before, it can be demonstrated against even the most highly-skilled neijia exponents out there that if they go empty-hand versus a blade and insist on never violating zhong ding, they're going to get eviscerated within seconds against someone who knows what they're doing with a knife.

Mindless, unreasoned dogmatism can kill you faster than an all-crack weekend.
Chris McKinley

Postby klonk on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:02 am

The interweb tube thingies are rather amazing. Here is the antique TV show I mentioned.

In general I am not inclined to trust popular entertainment for martial arts information. Doubtless Lee was speaking more or less accurately about his methods, but... Well, I dunno. Watch it for yourself.
Last edited by klonk on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:27 pm

lol thanks a lot. i think that is pretty much what he said from the books and interviews about jkd. in this video he says longest weapon to closest target. but anyway, it seems the consensus is it's a decent idea, primarily in striking, just not all of the time.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan