How does boxing's evasive footwork differ from IMA?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: How does boxing's evasive footwork differ from IMA?

Postby Bill on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Alexander wrote:My dad used to be a semi-pro boxer and, If i recall correctly, he said that 100 years ago guys used to go bareknuckle 100 rounds.

Back then a barehand round ended with each knock down, it wasn't a strict 3 minutes. Could go longer or shorter.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Waterway on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:43 am

Bill wrote:
Alexander wrote:My dad used to be a semi-pro boxer and, If i recall correctly, he said that 100 years ago guys used to go bareknuckle 100 rounds.

Back then a barehand round ended with each knock down, it wasn't a strict 3 minutes. Could go longer or shorter.

Additionally, reports of fights indicate that it was less likely old bare knuckle boxers went to the head. They were more likely to attack the body in order to reduce the chances of damaging their hands. Reports also show that a fair amout of wrestling/grappling was allowed. So it wasn't 100 rounds as we would as seen in boxing today. As has been mentioned, boxing post Queensbury is very different.

Incidentally, there are some in the boxing community who want to see boxing return to bare knuckle form on safety grounds. They claim that bare knuckled, fighters are going to be punched in the head a lot less, ergo suffer less damage long term.
Waterway
Anjing

Postby lbmcr on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:27 am

if someone throws a punch a you.. and your not prepared for it you'll , duck, bob or weave.. belive me ;-)
L
lbmcr
Santi

Postby blindsage on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:35 am

OK, but only 'cause you said so.
blindsage
Anjing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan