people who are rooting experts

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: people who are rooting experts

Postby Bao on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:58 pm

Rooting is a dynamic balance skill which is developed by practice - "balance gongfu"
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:05 pm

I met some Austrailians who told me that rooting means to have sex in Aus.
Reading this thread through that interpretation has been a blast! 8-)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:35 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:I met some Austrailians who told me that rooting means to have sex in Aus.
Reading this thread through that interpretation has been a blast! 8-)

There have been a few posts about "entering" and how to hold your "weapon" that have made me smile, but this has been the best one by a country mile. Maybe we should start a thread on double entendres in martial arts.

PS Thanks for the other explanations as well.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby Mut on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:03 pm

... yup rooting definantly has that meaning here.... nice thread keep it up!
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:22 pm

ninepalace wrote:this came up in the ben lo thread but i think it's worthy of it's own thread.

have you ever met anyone w/ a very strong root who did not do a lot of standing? i haven't yet. but if you have, please tell me how.

one way is to keep your eyes closed, hands in your pockets, stand on one leg and draw large figure-of-eights with your free leg.

the tailbone shouled be directly over the heel.
Last edited by Ian on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby wiesiek on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:00 am

Bao wrote:Some interesting points here from Dmitri and Lars.

in SC you try to lift each other around. .

is it really "lift"?
not " let them fly over u"/ :'(
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:43 am

wiesiek wrote:
Bao wrote:Some interesting points here from Dmitri and Lars.

in SC you try to lift each other around. .

is it really "lift"?
not " let them fly over u"/ :'(

And in taiji you don't "push". . . I just wanted to have an opposite to "push", so I called it lift. Maybe it sounds wrong with "lift", I don't know. :-\
Bao
Great Old One

Postby juz on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:54 am

I thought the "rooting" double entendre was fairly universal...????
What I really need right now is a montage....
juz
Anjing

Postby Mut on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:08 am

... it seems that state side a root is just a root...
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:37 pm

So what is the point of "rooting?"

This idea of being "immovable - like a tree" strikes me as being martially ridiculous; it's only use is in push-pull type PH games, which, I think, completely lead people up the wrong garden path.

IMHO, rooting is designed to be used offensively, not defensively.

Ian:
Great exercise (we do it too -very difficult...one key is to keep the head level) but more for balance than rooting, IME.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:00 am

Following Andy's question, how do you suddenly become nimble in footwork and adept at 'changing' if you spend most of your time learning how to be immovable?
Ian

Postby Walk the Torque on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:57 am

Andy_S wrote:So what is the point of "rooting?"

This idea of being "immovable - like a tree" strikes me as being martially ridiculous; it's only use is in push-pull type PH games, which, I think, completely lead people up the wrong garden path.

IMHO, rooting is designed to be used offensively, not defensively.

Rooting can be used very effectively for countering throws, sweeps, locks, take-downs.

Countering throws for instance is dependant on being able to root the opps force and bounce it straight back into his body, and beyond. This I still believe is the true meaning of borrowing force. Yes it can also be used offensively, however the act of rooting ( as I understand and practice it) is in taking an external force and channeling it to the earth. This being the case, the line between offence and defence becomes a wee bit blurred. ;)
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:04 am

Ian wrote:Following Andy's question, how do you suddenly become nimble in footwork and adept at 'changing' if you spend most of your time learning how to be immovable?

You don't!

What is it they say? everything starts in stillness?

I think learning to hold ground is just a stage. Imagine if you could hold the ground that your moving into :o

Seriously though, it takes time to be truely nimble whether you have rooting or not. Learning to root and then become nimble takes even longer. Also even though they are two different skills, learning how to root properly gives you a great foundation in terms of stability and so will always enhance your nimbility! ;D
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:21 pm

This idea of taking an external force and channeling it into the ground is useless against some of the most common forms of striking - have you ever seen a master who could 'root' a face punch, or 'root' a groin kick?

Even in grappling, I suggest rooting is only very, very momentary. And as for stability...there are times when you yield when you actually give up stablity.

Being able to spiral force UP through your joints, whether you are taking a step or applying a technique, though...that is something else.

The thing is, this is often best trained by force going DOWN....or "rooting" in other words. Training and application are different things. IME and IMHO, etc, etc.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:18 am

Andy_S wrote:This idea of taking an external force and channeling it into the ground is useless against some of the most common forms of striking - have you ever seen a master who could 'root' a face punch, or 'root' a groin kick?

Even in grappling, I suggest rooting is only very, very momentary. And as for stability...there are times when you yield when you actually give up stablity.

I really don't agree that rooting is a momentary thing. it is quite the opposite. It should always be there and it is ultimately a dynamic quality.

Rooting is not only for channeling. It is there for every defensive or offensive move you make. It is there, in every way you move, shift, block, strike. If you block or evade strong force, you need a very strong structure, even if you use less than "4 ounce" to deflect. Rooting is what secures your pengjin and over all stability. The Taller and wider a tree wants to grow, the deeper and wider it's roots needs to grow.

Understanding and giving structure to your own body and balance as a moving-dynamic object is really what rooting skill is all about. And not so much about transforming yourself into an un-movable object.
Bao
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan