Have you tried to HURT your teacher?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Have you tried to HURT your teacher?

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Interloper wrote:Deus,
I went back and fixed the typo so it's "full intent," not a "full tent," which can be uncomfortable on a hot summer night. ;)

Ah, i just figured it was a shortened version or funny verbiage.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:25 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:I find this interesting because pretty much every time I tried to hurt him was when I was young and lost my temper. As an adult I understand that sentiment but not toward a child. It happens. Did teachers not spar with their young students then or did some social code prevent the child from getting mad and losing it?

Seems to me any teacher sparring with a child is not ready to be teaching anyway. To me , and this is my own opinion, a teacher should be at a demonstration level of skill with his students , and any student that feels his skills have arrived, should be shown the error of his ways, if the teacher cannot do that, then it is time for the student to seek a teacher of higher level
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Methods on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Im not sure if I was trying to hurt my teacher or just doing the age old "Im a teenage baddass" routine. Anyhow, I took it to the next level with my teacher a few times, but one time I may have gotten out of control a bit out of just pure teenage punk rock anger and he gave me a serious whoopin that I have never forgotten.

Was I wrong yes - but back in those days there was zero info on how to act or whatever, he was just like a dad or uncle to me and sometimes you push it - thats it, nothing else - and i paid the price dearly...
Last edited by Methods on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAOISTCALENDARS.ORG
Methods
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:09 pm

Image Image

Sometimes in life, a personal reality check and a good attitude adjustment are sorely needed to put things back into proper perspective again! ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:35 am

I've never tried to hurt my teacher before... it's plain stupidity and proves nothing of value. If your teacher has the real deal you won't need to try to hurt him to know for sure, as sparring hard with him should be informative enough. None of my Judo teachers try to go their hardest with me, but they go hard enough that I know their stuff is real, there is no doubt in my mind that if they went their hardest that I would be in a world of pain, more so than usual. I could do a sloppy forced throw and hurt my teacher (either because he's sparring lighter or some other reason), but all that would prove is A) my technique is sloppy B) I have bad control C) my teacher was not trying his hardest D) I took advantage of my teachers trust and generosity and E) Humans are human and everyone can get hurt.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:57 am

"... Have you tried to HURT your teacher?"

NO
but
iv`e tried to win
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Ian on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:14 am

I kinda like my teachers...

if you hurt your teacher, who's gonna teach you?

and who's gonna pay for the window :S
Ian

Postby Dmitri on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:16 am

I just love the caps used for "HURT" in the thread title. ;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan