Serge Augier Xingyiquan Seminar Review

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Serge Augier Xingyiquan Seminar Review

Postby alexsuffolk on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:48 am

26 martial arts enthusiasts from UK, Sweden, Portugal, France , Germany and Denmark turned up at the wonderful town of Buried St Edmunds (dig, dig.... :D ) for a most excellent retreat with Dr Serge Augier of Paris covering the five fists of Xingyiquan.

First a big thanks to Serge for sharing so openly the details that make this art work so well for fighting and health, and to everyone who turned up and trained.

Some things that were covered , hope others add more as i am too tired to think much -

1. Make the structure strong before you start more subtle neigong work.

2. Dont waste energy on the mental thinking mind with visualisation etc.......the exercises are about feeling real stuff, real energy....its not vague.

3. Relax, smile a bit when you do the exercises.

4. Each fist has several little exercises to train the different forces. Pi for example trains the push force and axe force, need both for the finished product.

5. How to apply all the fists with both yielding and attacking actions. It was clear that when applied for real these would cause big damage to one's enemy.

6. Exercises to work the energy of the organs and allow energy to circulate freely.

and much more..........

Serge will be making this a regular course and moving steadily through the methods of Bagua, Xingyi and Taijiquan.

A.
alexsuffolk

Re: Serge Augier Xingyiquan Seminar Review

Postby Andy_S on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:49 am

Now this sounds like:
An interesting course in of itself; and
A promising structure for teaching the IMA in a regular seminar format.

Hope he considers publishing some of this - either digitally or on paper.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:50 am

BTW, who was hosting the course in Bury? I only ask as I attended a George Xu seminar there in '96....didn't realise a little eastern English market town was such a hotbed of esoteric CMA.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby alexsuffolk on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:30 am

Andy

i hosted it and will do in future, its a good town.

Tom, there was a very even balance of 1. doing the simple structure and motion leading to 2. simple no nonsense applications , first demoed by Serge to stunning effect on his seniors and everyone else and then to 3. the health neigong exercise.

Everyone got chance to work with many partners, many skilled people there, all with good spirit.....lots of time to try to see the detail of timing, angles of strikes or pulls, body shifting, stepping. hidden kicking, point hitting, joint destruction, small hands, hooking hands, how to make the force penetrate more, tricks of combat success, faults to avoid, how to train, why to train, and more.

Again and again he said - ask questions now, you must be sure how to train by the time i leave...

A great fighter AND teacher.
alexsuffolk

Postby middleway on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:34 pm

Brilliant weekend!

Thanks to Alex and of course most of all Serge, Whos teaching on the structure and fine details of the Wu Xing was brilliantly presented.

One thing you really get from Serge's teaching is Practical and extremely clear things to take away! He goes as deep as you want to go but is always so clear with everything ... from Chinese medicine and the organs to 'Bengin' your ribs in! ;)

Really came away from this one with some very very useful insights.

Thanks again to Serge, his senior students and all the people at the seminar ... and again to you alex for hosting him!

Cheers
Chris
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:32 am

Awesome weekend! Many thanks to Serge for being so generous with his knowledge and of course Alex for putting this on. Was great to meet and practice with everyone. Was quite exhausted when I finally got home yesterday.

I think the material presented was ideal for a seminar - building everything up from the beginning and working on the fundamentals with simple forms and clear applications. Each piece of additional information that was presented for each element built upon the foundation of the last, and each application was clearly linked to the principles and movements that were demonstrated in the forms. This is the first such seminar I have been to where I believe that I can usefully take everything away and incorporate it into my own training. I don't get nearly so much from seminars where one is jumping straight into complex forms and tricky applications.

It was interesting to take material that I had covered before (five elements) and work in it again from the ground up, with a different perspective. This helped both to break down material that I "thought I knew" but also to give clarity to different parts of the movements, and indicate areas which I need to work on. I look forward to practicing the nei gung exercises and seeing where this goes.

Impressed with how hard Serge can hit (I only took the tiniest of taps myself) and impressed with his students ability to take the big hits.

I look forward to the next seminar, and highly recommend this material to anyone else who has the opportunity to cover this material with Serge.

Cheers,

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Alex on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:46 am

Brilliant weekend,

Very happy I went, came away thoroughly impressed and buzzing.

Thank you to Alex for hosting and Serge for impressing the pants off me (not literally).
Alex
Santi

Postby mat-g on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:59 am

a big thanks to serge and Alex for such a great weekend. was also a good mix of people, all hard working and very friendly. anyone interested in the practical use of xing yi for fighting and health presented in an easy to understand format should come along to the next one. roll on the next seminar.
mat-g
Santi

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan