Crosstraining

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Crosstraining

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:48 pm

He is probably talking about the P90X or a similar system. Basically you work your muscles in differet ways and when your muscles start to get used to one way of working, like weight lifting, you switch the routine and start doing something like aerobics.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Mut on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:48 pm

yeah I figured something along these lines. I like to mix up order and type of training so that the body does not acquire a specific 'fitness'... i guess that is pretty much the same thing...
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby lars on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:15 am

As martial art, I train Bagua only, but I also train in various circus disciplines which I feel complement my training a lot.
As soon as I learned how to apply a BGZ view on other kinds of exercises, and got better bodyawareness through my bagua to apply to them, then it all helps!
lars
Anjing

Postby Dillon on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:54 am

At the moment I'm crosstraining boxing and judo when I can work it into my schedule.
Dillon
Santi

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:49 am

muscle confusion routines are where you don't allow yourself to plateau with any given exercise because by the time you master it, you change to something else, and yes, this idea does back the p90x system and also, if you are one to know a whole system of kungfu, its sort of the same thing. :)

so, one week you would do:
day1- compound lifting routines whole body
day2- run, bagwork, mitt work and combo drills
day 3- qi gong and yoga
day 4- legs and back so in kungfu that stepping routines, stance work, forms
day 5- compound lifting and functional strength development (motions that imitate real work using weights)
day 6- forms and body weight exercises (chair dips, push ups, pull up etc)
day 7- rest

week two - mix it up

week 3 - mix it up

week 4 - rest (not really, but just do forms, qigong and yoga with 2 days for running or other cardio work)

and so on. as time progresses and things get even easier despite your mixing them up, then increase teh levels of difficulty, so obviously weight routines demand more weight added or more reps depending on your goals, other routines can be made more difficult as well and so on.

you need to exercise for at the very least 1 hour to 1.5 hrs daily in a cycle of 3 months, then the next cycle of 3 months you work hard 3x weekly for 1 to 1.5 hrs each time with 2x weekly .5 hours of heavy cardio.

If you can't find that kind of time, that's cool, you up the intensity and shorten the timeline.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Kurt Robbins on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:03 pm

1) Dutch cross boxing
2) Muay Thai
3) Submission grappling
4) Baji Chuan
5) kick boxing ,
6) yoga and Qi Gong
and when I can Judo and Greco Roman wrestling (Greco hurts). :P
-Weight training and conditioning.
For me cross training is the way to go.
I need to get back into Spear training and find some fencing partners - :-\ After I finish college!
Last edited by Kurt Robbins on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby bigphatwong on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:52 pm

I'm a Xingyi guy first and foremost, but lately I've been trying to get reacquainted with my Sil Lum roots and practicing a lot of the forms taught at the Institute. I crosstrain because for starters, I get bored easily and like to jump around. lol Some might argue that it has an adverse effect on one's Xingyi, but my experience has been the exact opposite. If anything it enhances everything else I do.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan