Crosstraining

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Crosstraining

Postby Qi_Monkey on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:35 pm

Do you crosstrain? .....If so in what art or arts?....Internal/Internal......Internal/External?

More importantly, how does the one art complement or augment the other?

I"d appreciate the feedback......

Thanks,

Mark
Qi_Monkey
Santi

Re: Crosstraining

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:43 pm

I cross train in xingyi and bagua.
They complement each other well.
I also sometimes roll with some bjj guys and hit up a local karate class.
Bjj is good because it gives me skills I can't get in CMA. Karate is good for the conditioning exercises.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:36 pm

I don't cross train. Yang Taiji only. I do cross spar though.
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:00 pm

I cross train Yang Taijiquan, Fu Baguazhang and Judo (50% standup & 50% ground). I find they all complement each other very well as they share many of the same principles, and are grappling based art.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby SquattingMonkey on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:25 pm

I am currently training in Yang style taijiquan and I cross train with yiquan. I believe that the yiquan zz as well as their shih li and fa li help to get faster results in my training of internal work, so I can get to a higher level in my taijiquan in half the time compared with taijiquan alone.
SquattingMonkey
Santi

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Yes. I do Muscle confusion routines + sil lum kungfu +whatever anyone else brings over to play with. :-)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:42 pm

muscle confusion routines?

(Yang Taiji and Heibei Xingyi here, thinking about Aikido or BJJ)
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby Pat on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:31 pm

for me- yes. i am a Shuai Chiao guy, i cross train judo. it helps to learn and practice finishing on the ground. i chose Judo because they go for it, just like we do. i did not have to change my habits on my feet for wrestling.

once i can throw someone down and smash him, i can pin and choke the mess out of him and give him a very bad day. or if i get thrown down and smashed, i can get back to my feet and get away, or whatever from there.

i will cross train some good striking maybe later. dunno.

that is for me. but i think you have to cross train. one art can't do everything best. my 2c.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby Syd on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:02 am

G'day all, I'm a Yang Styler from the Montaigue side of things and I cross train in Doce Pares - there are many styles of Doce Pares that emphasize different things but I'm primarily focussed on weapons work ( Improvised weapons also ) and take downs/finishing. I find the philosophy of Taiji and Doce Pares very complimentary, check out the Dog Brothers for those interested in seeing Doce at work.
Syd
Santi

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:19 am

Hey Syd,
What part of Sydney are you in? I live in the shire and work in Kings Cross. I am always looking for new guys to practice with. If you fancy getting together just say the word.

I have practiced classical Yang family style for well over 20 years, Bagua, smatterings of hsing yi and yi chuan, Wu and CMC style Tai Ji. I also just got back into Kali and Arnis at my local martial arts gym.

I think they compliment each other well, but some of that has to do with the way I practice them also. I put alot of time into applying the mechanics of the internal arts to Kali and Arnis. I also like to play with intention during sinawali practice with partners and move in and out of smothering their chi or seeing if I can effect rythym and balance through the sticks. Arnis has a number of "ritualized" drills with partners that share common ground with Bagua, ie: walking in circles during sinawali, lots of snakey, wrapping techniques. I find it pretty easy to apply coiling/uncoiling and stepping from bagua to what I am learning from Arnis and Kali.
Last edited by Walk the Torque on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Syd on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:37 am

Walk The Torque.

I would love to get together mate, absolutely ... I am just getting back into serious training again after a bit of a break and have only just begun exploring Doce Pares; I am a serious beginner so I would really appreciate any hints tips and advice on teachers and systems within the FMA given your obvious experience. I used to get together with a few guys in Centennial Park a while back and would spar Taiji/Bagua applications ... Chin Na, Take Downs etc but we all moved on and lost touch. So I've been looking for somebody else to work with again for ages. I have been looking at things like Judo and Systema as my cross training system but have just recently decided to go with Doce Pares/ Kali ... I feel that Taiji already has a solid throwing/takedown system in it's curriculum but it's very tough finding partners to work with in the Taiji framework ... who the hell teaches Shuai Jiao in Sydney??? Nobody sadly so Judo is often the answer for Taiji guys looking to work on throwing and then apply Taiji principles. I'm in the Blue Mountains by the way but I get down to Sydney quite often since my family all live in the city area.

Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

Best, Simon.
Syd
Santi

Postby shenme on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:49 am

I cross train Taijiquan, Yoga and Sanda

I was also training Xingyiquan but gas prices killed that off for the moment.
Last edited by shenme on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

蒂姆
shenme
Mingjing

Postby Walk the Torque on Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:02 am

Syd,

Excellent! PM me when your likely to get down to Sydney. In answer to your question Sun Da Fa teaches Shuai Jiao in Sydney. I'll find out the address and send it to you. His Hsing Yi is his main thing though and he is very good.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Syd on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Walk TT,

Sounds good mate, I know Sun Da Fa and have considered training with him for Chin Na, Bagua and XingYi but he has never advertised Shuai Jiao as a curriculum - I have his details by the way ... I suspect if he does then it is included as part of his training in one or more of the other internal systems? Have you trained with him yourself by the way?

Shoot me your e-mail at my account as I would like your advice about a couple of FMA schools in Sydney also.

Cheers, Simon.
Syd
Santi

Postby Mut on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:15 pm

yes... what are muscle confusion routines Darth?
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan