Adam Hsu article on Baji

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Adam Hsu article on Baji

Postby johnrieber on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:30 pm

thanks, SPJ and johnwang.
johnrieber

Postby wuwei sifu on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:09 pm

hey can that article be shared in english please .

john wang,
i have a ? for you . how do you start with 2 man drills .
i would think you have to have something to begin with before you can practie it with someone else .

am i missing something & i think i am that is contained in the chinese; i can not read in that article?
thx.
when you misinterpret my words please don't blame me for that; or act like i said what you changed based on a faulty interpretation instead of taking my words as written ! (I know, this is the internet, but that doesn't mean you can put words in my mouth)
wuwei sifu
Huajing

Postby johnwang on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:21 pm

wuwei sifu wrote: how do you start with 2 man drills. i would think you have to have something to begin with before you can practie it with someone else .

You pair students up. You use one of your student to show your 2 men drill many times, you then ask students to copy your move and do the same. At the same time you try to correct any mistake they make. After they can do those 2 men drill without problem, you then ask them to do without partners, now they have solo drills to train at home.

For example, the 1st move that I'll teach to any new student is to ask his opponent to run toward him and he has to use his "toe push kick" to stop his opponent's forward momentum. In the beginner, his opponent will always run him over because he does not have good body structure and strong rooting. I then teach him how to train that toe push kick on the tree to build up his rooting and structure. Since at that moment, he has already detected his own weakness, he will be serious to train whatever I have just shown him. IMO, to teach someone how to swim, the best place is in the water. If he knows that he can't swim well, he will be happy to learn. To swim on the dry land was never my cup of tea (doesn't matter how perfect you look).

You don't want to teach someone a solo drill (form) before you theach him:

- Why will he need to train it?
- When will he need to use it?
- Why does he need to do this way?
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:01 pm

wuwei sifu wrote:hey can that article be shared in english please .

I dunno about copyright issue. but you have to cite the original author is adam hsu (xu ji). the article was published at jingwu.

translated by spj and posted at rumsoakedfist.org

I left out some parts in the latter half of the article. he was commenting on wushu in general.

I am more interested in his comments on baji small frame.

8-)
SPJ
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan