Kano, Judo and Tim Cartmell

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Kano, Judo and Tim Cartmell

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:48 am

CaliG wrote:
You don't pay much attention around here do you? I posted a whole thread about how I performed at the Shuai Jiao nationals in april.

No disrespect but no I don't read every post you make and I don't read every thread. I've got better things to do with my time and I only read the one that look interesting to me.

That's why I asked the question, it was an honest one. Yes obviously there are more dangerous techniques that aren't used in competition.

My point in my teachers in BJJ and in Judo also know and do Jujitsu and Combat Sambo, so yes some judoka are still learning the deadly stuff. But if your whole focus is on competition (although mine is not) then you're probably not going to bother and if someone doesn't bother to learn the other techniques who really cares?

Most competitors would do well in a street fight. Will they win everytime? No, but that's the nature of the beast. I just don't get this whole hang up about judo being watered down because a lot of people aren't learning the hardcore deadly secrets of Jujitsu. Because unless you can dodge bullets you should really focus on staying out of street fights.

No disrespect taken.

I am glad some Judoka are still learning the complete package, even the moves not allowed in competition. My point is simply that when a person focuses solely on competition training that there will be moves that are perfectly capable of being used effectively in self defense that will not be trained, and that it is illogical to assume that those moves are not effective.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Re: Kano, Judo and Tim Cartmell

Postby CaliG on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:16 am

Finny wrote:Yeah that's kinda the point I was trying to make.

Yes and no one who does koryu jujutsu has ever been cut with a knife right? Check this out http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopi ... =0&start=0

A thread about Judoka using Judo in real life? Perhaps you copied the wrong thread - there was nothing relevant there.

I never said "no-one who does koryu jujutsu was ever cut with a knife"

What I was saying was that certain, insecure folks can sometimes want to claim it all, whereas Dan was rightly pointing out that there are differences that should be celebrated and acknowleged, rather than used as an ego crutch.

But I can see you guys agree so - cheers,

All the best.

Fair enough, what you're saying is that there is cool old school shit, I'm down with that.

It has been said that the Gracies train the pre-WWII way.

Maeda traveled the world and learned from his experiences and slowly developed his own unique expression of judo. When Kimura encountered Helio Gracie, what he saw reminded him of the earlier judo methods that were rough and tumble. Prewar (prior to WWII) Judo had body locks, leg locks, unusual choking techniques that were discarded because they were not legal in contest judo, which had evolved slowly over the years.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/5389/maeda.html

Show us what you guys are talking about, you got a video example of Koryu Jujitsu being used in a live setting?
Last edited by CaliG on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
CaliG

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan