Att: Bagua people: "Bat lands on the Ground" apps?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Att: Bagua people: "Bat lands on the Ground" apps?

Postby 64Palms on Wed May 14, 2008 5:38 pm

We have a similar movement in our 8 gates form and 64 Palms form (Liang Shi). The primary difference is that we don't extend so much along the linear line but maintain rotation of the palms and body into the resting stance (making it a more compact yet larger movement ??). That is if i am reading this text and diagram right.

I find these techniques when trained well can be effective not only for take down offense / defense but also for evasive maneuvers. Having said that, and to quote John Wang, there are many weak points and crossing the legs can be dangerous and cause an unsteady continuous movement if one doesn't have the hips and legs for it.

I have utilised this method only a few times in free sparring and only once in free fight (against MT players), with slight modifications - i would cross and step into the opponent - turning palm as a strike and enter their stance with my legs. It was during standing and on the offense. Worked wonderfully. Now days though, as training would have it, i don't feel i would be game enough to try it on someone efficient in IMA.
64Palms
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed May 14, 2008 6:00 pm

What is the 64 palms form, uh... "64Palms?" :D Is that the linking palms set, or the linear 64 hands set?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby 64Palms on Wed May 14, 2008 6:13 pm

edededed wrote:What is the 64 palms form, uh... "64Palms?" :D Is that the linking palms set, or the linear 64 hands set?

It is for the linear set as taught in the Liang Style of Ba Gua Zhang. Initially one is taught it in a linear fashion but as fluidity of movement and technique is gained free style and circular walking should be employed.
64Palms
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed May 14, 2008 9:06 pm

Hmm - really? I don't remember this movement in the 64 hands (linear) set... Where is the similar movement that you are talking about? (I.e. 45th movement or 5th line, 5th movement)...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby 64Palms on Wed May 14, 2008 9:19 pm

Third Line, 6th Movement - lady working on shuttles. My teacher showed my a variation movement that meant that rather than the rear leg moving forward it can go backward and to sink the stance more (it resembles this - minus the palm work, easily modified). If you have done Liang Shi then you would notice in the Ba Men form 63rd movement.
64Palms
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed May 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Ah - well, I guess my version of that movement is a bit different, then. :)

I have not (yet) learned the bamianzhang form - perhaps someday...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby 64Palms on Wed May 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Who and where are you learning it your Liang Shi BGZ? PM if need be.
64Palms
Great Old One

Postby josh on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Just got back to my books and found this in Zhao Zhenzhong's 趙振忠 "72 Hidden Legs of Bagua" 八卦七十二暗腿

Bat Lands on the Ground
A steps up with his left foot, extending his right palm to push B's chest. B advances his right foot between A's legs, the left step following a half-step, and delivers a cutting strike with his right palm to the inside of A's right elbow, and then turns his palm over (so the center of the palm faces upward) and attacks A's face with a throwing palm. A uses his left or right hand to block B's forearm. B then steps his left leg behind his right leg, and his right arm rolls and sinks down to A's abdomen. With the right forearm, he presses downward on A's belly or hips, at the same time sitting his down on A's left leg, pushing A backwards.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:07 pm

that bears a striking similarity to part of the "3 rings around the moon" posture from the Jian form I practice.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby LaPointe on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:38 am

bat stance
LaPointe
Santi

Postby circle_walker on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:14 pm

Josh, is that book availible in English? Where's a good place to track it down? Jarek's site?
circle_walker
Santi

Postby josh on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:29 pm

circle_walker wrote:Josh, is that book availible in English? Where's a good place to track it down? Jarek's site?

Hi, no it is not available in English. I bought it in Beijing a few years ago. I checked Jarek's site and Plum Publications and neither of them seem to have it either, sorry :( .
josh
Great Old One

Postby circle_walker on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Damn. I thought english was a long shot, but I was hoping that I could at least get a copy stateside :(. Thanks anyway, man.
circle_walker
Santi

Postby josh on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Maybe you could try contacting Jarek anyway, I just didn't see any books listed on his website anymore.
josh
Great Old One

Postby maoshan on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:31 am

Peace All,

That technique, is from the 4th Palm of Jiang Rong Qiao's Original form. I have a copy of Jiang's book.
The way I was taught it, the way you guys are looking at it is taking the technique out of context( which really isn't true because nothing in Ba Gua is set in stone). it begins with the tech "Tiger comes out of cage" or "Push Mtn into the sea" depending on the teacher. After applying the Palm strike, The form would have you think that you continue around the circle in the opposite direction, but as I was taught you actually hold and pull the opponent foreward and down (Bat lands on ground) after the strike. The left or right foot (depending on what side your on) that steped behind the lead leg, put you in position to turn/twist back into your opponent applying any number of techniques such as "sweep army of a thousand" or a palm strike to the Ribs. Again nothing is set.
I hope you guys are able to see what I'm talking about. Trying to describe this stuff in words isn't easy. I need a web cam. To show it would be so much easier.

Peace

Mao
maoshan
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan