Just "How much" Zhan Zhuang required for unified mechanics

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Just "How much" Zhan Zhuang required for unified mechanics

Postby willie on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:52 pm

Bao wrote:Train, mileage, driving, cars... Funny discussion.

If you try pushing a car you will probably learn ten times more about "connection" than just standing there trying to feel harmony.

Hey Bao or david, The push the car thing yes that's correct.
just got done reading some of your blog, wow it's packaged so neatly in a tiny box, dig it.
But of coarse your fajin thing isn't quite right and the other thing about not listening to martial arttist with "MORE" experiences then
just taiji, I find laughable, but that's o.k. Most of what i read was O.K. though. I actually enjoyed the integrity thing, but yes, unfortunately there
are a lot of Yang style guys who talk in riddles. I believe that it mostly comes from not actually being sure about what they are saying.
I find this typical of Yang stylist who can't answer a question directly, but lean on the classics instead.
Who was your teacher, CC Chen did you say? Where is your school? Maybe i'll come and visit.
Last edited by willie on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Bao on Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:12 pm

willie wrote:Hey Bao or david, The push the car thing yes that's correct.
just got done reading some of your blog, wow it's packaged so neatly in a tiny box, dig it.

Ok, thanks.
But of coarse your fajin thing isn't quite right

I know you wouldn't agree. Chen stylists have their own idea about fajin.
and the other thing about not listening to martial arttist with "MORE" experiences then
just taiji, I find laughable,

I have no idea about what you mean. I've learn a lot from stylists from other styles. I have studied other styles and so have most of my teachers as well.
but that's o.k. Most of what i read was O.K. though. I actually enjoyed the integrity thing, but yes, unfortunately there are a lot of Yang style guys who talk in riddles. I believe that it mostly comes from not actually being sure about what they are saying. I find this typical of Yang stylist who can't answer a question directly, but lean on the classics instead.

Many of them might not be quite sure about how to verbalize what they do. That's right.
Who was your teacher, CC Chen did you say? Where is your school? Maybe i'll come and visit.

No, I've never had William Chen, but studied from a couple of guys who have had him as a teacher. I don't think you have ever heard about any of my teachers. Unless you've read Black Belt Magazine from the nineteen sixties, as two of them contributed to the magazine back then. I live in Sweden. If you want to know more about my teachers, send a PM. I think it's too much OT already. I don't have a regular group for the moment. I used to, but nowadays I just meet up with people, friends, former classmates, earlier students etc.
if you want to discuss my blog further or have a private conversation, it might be better to take it to PM. Otherwise we'll just keep spamming this thread with Off Topics.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby SteveBonzak on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:37 pm

kenneth fish wrote:Zero standing is required. There are other ways to train to achieve that goal. Your mileage may vary.

My teacher has the very same opinion about holding postures.

-Steve
SteveBonzak
Anjing

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:00 pm

I know when we were introduced to ZZ our teacher offered it with the caveat, " I do t need it, I get the same from the form", it is as an addendum that we are given it.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:58 am

Speaking for myself and my current level of conditioning, which is poor, I have a much different experience playing the form if I do 20+ minutes of ZZ first. Specifically the 4 basic Yiquan postures. Everything feels better, smoother, more balanced and relaxed, easier to lead with the Yi. As I get to the less familiar and more difficult bits of the form it starts to be more difficult to maintain. If I throw in a couple minutes of silk reeling between, it's even more intense. Maybe once my conditioning is more mature I'll be able to maintain that state naturally at all times or get there instantly when playing the form, but for now ZZ is a useful, and tediously time consuming, practice.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby RickMatz on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:30 am

If you try pushing a car you will probably learn ten times more about "connection" than just standing there trying to feel harmony.

Yeah, but if you could just stand there and make the car move by itself, then you'd have something.
Last edited by RickMatz on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickMatz
Huajing

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:08 am

RickMatz wrote:

Yeah, but if you could just stand there and make the car move by itself, then you'd have something.

Lol! Very true. :D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:07 am

Zen Master said: "i went deep into the teachings and was enlightened; and then i realized i did not lack anything in the first place."

Very Smart Guy: "then why did you spend all this time in your studies."

Zen Master replied: "If i did not spend all this time in my studies; how would i know i did not lack anything? "

did you go deep into your studies? or are you are very smart guy that does not need to study? :)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:08 am

Strange wrote:Zen Master said: "i went deep into the teachings and was enlightened; and then i realized i did not lack anything in the first place."

Very Smart Guy: "then why did you spend all this time in your studies."

Zen Master replied: "If i did not spend all this time in my studies; how would i know i did not lack anything? "

did you go deep into your studies? or are you are very smart guy that does not need to study? :)

"Those who seek knowledge,
Collect something every day.
Those who seek the Way,
Let go of something every day."
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan