BT to make MMA debut against "Big Bill" Duff!?!?!?!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

BT to make MMA debut against "Big Bill" Duff!?!?!?!

Postby williamwilson666 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:37 pm

Unless I am being improbably simple, I think that is exactly what is being said in the (below) youtube link- though there are no dates. This will be extremely interesting. Finally, a pretty high level Bagua practitioner in a MMA bout. It's all quite speculative, of course, but even with Duff's wrestling background, and a restrictive ruleset, I envisage this being a first round KO for BT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KafPZP0-FAo
williamwilson666
Anjing

Re: BT to make MMA debut against "Big Bill" Duff!?!?!?!

Postby ashe on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:11 pm

should be fun to watch. you can see that BT has slimmed down some too.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:46 pm

It's a good idea.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:17 pm

Good luck to BT.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:11 pm

I hope he realizes how important conditioning is for sport fighting. The better conditioned fighter will almost always win. If I had to train for MMA fighting I would list the priorities as Conditioning->Focus/will->Skill/technique->Speed->Strength

I look forward to seeing this match.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby bruce on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:34 pm

cool ...
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:18 pm

man, I would love to fight bill duff! and then discuss MA with him over a beer afterwards. I bet he has some cool stories to tell.
Ian

Postby Syd on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:14 am

I'd like to take on the Dalai Lama in a cage match ... pretty sure his robes would get in the way and allow me some kind of entry technique for the ultimate take down.
Syd
Santi

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:57 am

Syd wrote:I'd like to take on the Dalai Lama in a cage match ... pretty sure his robes would get in the way and allow me some kind of entry technique for the ultimate take down.

He would win. After you beat him, all your bad karma would kill you and reincarnate you as a beatle (not John Lennon either... You would probably come back as Ringo).
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Syd on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:11 am

mixjourneyman wrote:
Syd wrote:I'd like to take on the Dalai Lama in a cage match ... pretty sure his robes would get in the way and allow me some kind of entry technique for the ultimate take down.

He would win. After you beat him, all your bad karma would kill you and reincarnate you as a beatle (not John Lennon either... You would probably come back as Ringo).

Let me get this straight ... I get to come back as Ringo IF I lose? So if that means being buddies with Marc Bolan and marrying Barbara Bach again, I can live with that. More than likely The Lama would have some Steve Segal moves that Steve taught him whilst they hung out in an Onsen and that would be my downfall.
Syd
Santi

Postby juz on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:57 am

How about a Parisian cage match with Charlise Theron and a HUGE tub of butter?

oh sorry...back on thread....Goodluck to all....
Last edited by juz on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I really need right now is a montage....
juz
Anjing

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:03 am

Excellent.
Best of luck to them; that's a cool endeavor.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby jpaton on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:52 am

thats cool and all but if the point is to prove his effectiveness against mma fighters shouldn't he fight an mma fighter? i'm not trying to be critical of him but duff is a tv personality and ex-football player. am i thinking of the wrong bill duff here?
jpaton
Mingjing

Postby ashe on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:43 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:I hope he realizes how important conditioning is for sport fighting. The better conditioned fighter will almost always win. If I had to train for MMA fighting I would list the priorities as Conditioning->Focus/will->Skill/technique->Speed->Strength

conditioning never replaces skill.

jpaton wrote:thats cool and all but if the point is to prove his effectiveness against mma fighters shouldn't he fight an mma fighter? i'm not trying to be critical of him but duff is a tv personality and ex-football player. am i thinking of the wrong bill duff here?

you must not have watched the clip. he specifically says he's not out to prove anything. he just wants to bring CMA back to the old school when there were a lot more fighters.
Last edited by ashe on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:27 am

ashe wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:I hope he realizes how important conditioning is for sport fighting. The better conditioned fighter will almost always win. If I had to train for MMA fighting I would list the priorities as Conditioning->Focus/will->Skill/technique->Speed->Strength

conditioning never replaces skill.

jpaton wrote:thats cool and all but if the point is to prove his effectiveness against mma fighters shouldn't he fight an mma fighter? i'm not trying to be critical of him but duff is a tv personality and ex-football player. am i thinking of the wrong bill duff here?

you must not have watched the clip. he specifically says he's not out to prove anything. he just wants to bring CMA back to the old school when there were a lot more fighters.

I have to beg to differ on that one. Conditioning replaces skill almost all of the time. When one begins to feel tired, skill is the first thing to go out the window.

From various boxing resources:

"The number one thing on your list should be conditioning. Boxing is 80% conditioning. You cannot even throw the most perfect punch in the world if you are too tired to let it go. So let's start pounding the pavement ASAP"

"What are the essential things to do to get a good training program going. While I do have a trainer, I would like to know if there was more I can do. For example should I do conditioning, Heavy bag, mit work, etc... How would you train an aspiring amateur fighter?

What seperates most fighters is their conditioning. It is the most essential part of the routine. In order to rise above the rest of the class you have to put the extra time in on your own. I would want my fighter to come in 3 days a week. We would focus on punching technique, hand position, footwork, head movement, combinations, blocking, excercises and eventually sparing. Later we would start talking and using strategies and tricks of the trade. I would expect our time to be used for mostly learning. I do not like to spend our time together conditioning because we only have a couple of hours and it's silly for me to watch a guy run or jump rope for 30 minutes. This should be done on your own. And I will know if your doing it or not when you spar."

Betting on not having to rely on conditioning in a fight is in the same vein as betting we are not ever going to be taken down, or that the person is never going to use a weapon, and ignoring that part of our training. It only takes being wrong one time before we are in trouble, if we actually want to use our arts under stress. If we are aware of this, we can at least make an informed choice.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan