BT to make MMA debut against "Big Bill" Duff!?!?!?!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: BT to make MMA debut against "Big Bill" Duff!?!?!?!

Postby Butterball on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:02 am

Fubo wrote:One thing to consider for sport fighting and the street is dealing with the adrenaline dump. The adrenaline dump zaps a huge amount to energy when it kicks in, killing your technique, but conditioning really helps with this - so I would argue that conditioning is very important during sport and street fighting. The better conditioned people almost always comes out on top, I've seen it happen again and again - unless there is a huge gap in the skill level. The best strategies and techniques in the world aren't worth shit against a strong determined opponent unless you're in the well conditioned shape to use them, that is unless you are fighting old ladies and little children or someone of "much" lesser skill.

Good point. Adrenaline dump, conditioning to make your body tougher so you can take a beating and still get away and being in good enough condition to run as long as you need to run to get away. I think conditioning is super important for "street" stuff.

The adrenaline dump thing is actually something that I like about the competitions that I've done in Sport grappling. Getting used to dealing with the dump and being able to get past that and use technique and not get too tired.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:18 am

Butterball wrote:
The adrenaline dump thing is actually something that I like about the competitions that I've done in Sport grappling. Getting used to dealing with the dump and being able to get past that and use technique and not get too tired.

That's something I like about competitions also - I think that is an experience that MA people who don't compete lose out on big time - a very different experience compared to just sparring in your school, or with buddies (not to put any kind of good sparring down).
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Butterball on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:40 am

Totally true, it's been a very valuable experience for me for exactly that reason. Handling yourself under that kind of pressure is an art form in itself, lol. I've seen guys who dominate people effortlessly on the mats get killed in competition for the exact reason that we are talking about. I've also seen guys who don't always perform well in training excel in competiton. I think that's a pretty interesting phenomenon as well.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:21 am

Ian wrote:What do you mean? Direct translation of lik/li is 'strength'.

that's the most common.

it's all about context.

my Sifu (who's hakka) uses Li in a more general way (i.e. physical).
意力拳 = "mental/physical martial art" not "intent/strength boxing" or "italian power punching".

nianfong wrote:ooh I haven't seen the TKD ep yet. I'll have to DL it.

i caught it on youtube...

Last edited by ashe on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby B_Diniz on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:00 pm

this is a WC fighter (Bostep Branch)

guys, the fight will proble end this manner..

I think, if the fight ended on ground is not CMA!!!
Just a guy needs to be on the ground when the fights ends, probaly the looser...
B_Diniz
Anjing

Postby Jeice on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:34 pm

B_Diniz wrote:I think, if the fight ended on ground is not CMA!!!

Bahahaha. WHERE IS YOUR DITANG NOW!!!! ::)
Jeice
Anjing

Postby emre on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:39 am

B_Diniz wrote:this is a WC fighter (Bostep Branch)

guys, the fight will proble end this manner..

Schlagen! Schlagen! Schlagen! Hyaaaaah!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
emre
Mingjing

Postby CaliG on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:23 am

ashe wrote:he moved so badly in the human weapon series. he got KTFO by a tiny little TKD guy. if he's gonna win, his only chance is on the ground.

Playing TKD at that level under TKD rules I'm sure a lot of us here would suffer the same fate.
CaliG

Postby B_Diniz on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:45 am

CaliG wrote:
ashe wrote:he moved so badly in the human weapon series. he got KTFO by a tiny little TKD guy. if he's gonna win, his only chance is on the ground.

Playing TKD at that level under TKD rules I'm sure a lot of us here would suffer the same fate.

hmm, are you all right... this TKD rules are far from diferent an MMA match, don hit the head with punch could destroy all MMA fighter, but maybe you put a CRocop, or another else is good in high kicks... maybe the story goes another side

but in fact I agree
B_Diniz
Anjing

Postby Fubo on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:39 am

Maybe Bill could just "bull rush" him, like he said he would do to the Japanese champion on the Human Weapon Judo episode! ;D

But in all seriousness, Bill is huge, has grapplling experience and played football - plus I would think he's been doing plenty of other stuff now and has had some valueble experiences after coming off the show and thinking about how to train MAs (Just my speculation). Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Bill fan, and actually found him to be pretty innoying on H.W. , but I wouldn't discount his experiences or his size.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:46 pm

B_Diniz wrote:
CaliG wrote:

hmm, are you all right... this TKD rules are far from diferent an MMA match, don hit the head with punch could destroy all MMA fighter, but maybe you put a CRocop, or another else is good in high kicks... maybe the story goes another side

but in fact I agree

I didn't know Cro-cop was on EF. ;)
Last edited by CaliG on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan