Hai Yang interview q's

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Hai Yang interview q's

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:30 am

Thanks guys!
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Frank Bellemare on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:29 pm

That was just excellent. I like how he keeps the martial and the spiritual separated and I like his description of qi in martial arts as force (basically), and not magical internal energy that will make you stronger than anyone else. I also like his focus on getting a strong body, molding that body according to a particular style and THEN eventually delving into finer theoretical points if necessary (like say the Yi Jing)

In addition to the great info, I really enjoyed getting a reality check about the arts from someone of Mr. Yang's caliber. I think at some point everyone has asked themselves what the hell the qi thing was or why we should or shouldn't do weights and why we should train this art before this other one or the reverse or should we just do one art etc. This interview answers definitely so many of these typical BTDT questions that always keep coming up because no one really agrees on them. Highly recommended!
Frank Bellemare
Anjing

Postby cdobe on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:35 am

Frank Bellemare wrote:That was just excellent. I like how he keeps the martial and the spiritual separated and I like his description of qi in martial arts as force (basically), and not magical internal energy that will make you stronger than anyone else.

In MAs 'Qi' refers to either breath or the energy that circulates in the body just like in TCM. Hai Yang is wrong here.

But overall it was an interesting interview :)
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:18 am

I'm glad you guys liked it! It was a real treat to be part of this project. What I really liked was the honesty in each answer. But that's Mr. Yang for you, he tells it like it is. He doesn't believe in magical voo-doo, he advocates hard work and takes pride in promoting the arts from his hometown.

cdobe: not to start an argument, but did you know that, besides all the years on martial training, Mr. Yang has a degree in TCM from the Tianjin University? I'm guessing he knows what you are saying. What I think he emphasizes in the video are the end results of 'Qi' usage in these different areas.
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:41 am

cdobe wrote:
Frank Bellemare wrote:That was just excellent. I like how he keeps the martial and the spiritual separated and I like his description of qi in martial arts as force (basically), and not magical internal energy that will make you stronger than anyone else.

In MAs 'Qi' refers to either breath or the energy that circulates in the body just like in TCM. Hai Yang is wrong here.

Well, quite literally in the six harmonies, qi is something that is moved by intention to get the muscles to work more effectively...
Perhaps thats what he's talking about ;)
Last edited by mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:56 am

xingyijuan wrote:cdobe: not to start an argument, but did you know that, besides all the years on martial training, Mr. Yang has a degree in TCM from the Tianjin University? I'm guessing he knows what you are saying. What I think he emphasizes in the video are the end results of 'Qi' usage in these different areas.

mixjourneyman wrote:
cdobe wrote:

Well, quite literally in the six harmonies, qi is something that is moved by intention to get the muscles to work more effectively...
Perhaps thats what he's talking about ;)

Maybe it's a language thing. But I don't think so, because he made himself very clear in everything else that he said. My guess was, that he wanted to present his martial arts as compatible with reason and science and devoid of anything mystical. Yet, Qi in the MAs sometimes does mean "vital energy". And when people talk about the Qi from the food or the Qi of a place it actually does mean that: an obscure energy. It's no misunderstanding by some stupid hippie westerners ;)
I also think that he knows that, but it seems that he doesn't want to admit it.

And BTW, I noticed that his favourite IMA is Taiji. That's very interesting, Mix, huh ? ;D
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:23 am

I have heard him talking about cultivation of qi through MA training too. But its more of a passive cultivation, like you use your yi to do the move, coordinate it with your breath and qi happens naturally. He's really against putting qi gong or meditation concepts into martial art for fighting training (but then again, I asked him about doing taiji as a qigong and he said it was good, but in the same breath said its not for self defense training). RE taiji: I like taiji too. I have practiced it the longest out of any MA that I do and get great benefit from it, but I still see the methodology under which most people practice as flawed (Including my own practice). I also rib taiji guys for fun and profit. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:29 am

Just another point: I don't think your going to find the same opinions of qi between any two CMA players. Qi is a tricky subject because some styles employ more qi methodology than others. We don't, that doesn't make us wrong. On the other hand, some do and that doesn't make them wrong. I will state emphatically that in our liu he training in xingyi, "qi" training is included, but its not what most people think it is.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 am

qi (氣) is a generic word which applies to many different things. Like "energy". No point in arguing about any of this.

It means different things in different systems or contexts...

For example: 天氣 (heaven/sky qi) is how you say "weather" in chinese

In medical terminology "qi" is also contextual, it could refer to a specific organ, system, or the combined systems as a whole.

That is why this argument could continue ad nauseum and still never get anywhere...
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby xingyijuan on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:52 am

chicagoTaiJi wrote:qi (氣) is a generic word which applies to many different things. Like "energy". No point in arguing about any of this.

It means different things in different systems or contexts...

For example: 天氣 (heaven/sky qi) is how you say "weather" in chinese

In medical terminology "qi" is also contextual, it could refer to a specific organ, system, or the combined systems as a whole.

That is why this argument could continue ad nauseum and still never get anywhere...

Agreed!

xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks for posting this.

Whenever you get one of these old school guys to talk it is pure gold.

I've only watched the first part of the interview about Xingyi originating in Hubei and then going to other parts of China. Although I'm no authority on Xingyi, what he is saying would tie with conversations I've had with my own teacher about how you develop power .
Last edited by CaliG on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaliG

Postby Frank Bellemare on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:10 pm

Totally agreed chicagotaiji, let's just close the lid of that snake basket and slowly back away.

Mix and Juan, do you guys know why taijiquan is Mr. Yang's favorite art? I would've thought he liked xingyiquan better.

And CaliG, I think Yang Hai was saying xingyiquan with a G was developed in Hebei, not Hubei, unless I heard him wrong.
Last edited by Frank Bellemare on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Frank Bellemare
Anjing

Postby CaliG on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:14 pm

Frank Bellemare wrote:Mix and Juan, do you guys know why taijiquan is Mr. Yang's favorite art? I would've thought he liked xingyiquan better.

I can't answer for the man obviously, but I'm not surprised when I hear masters of CMA say that TJQ is their favorite.

Because if you think about it TJQ is probably the oldest MMA. It has a full arsenal of striking, grappling, throwing, qinna and dan xue. From what I've seen it has essentially taken the best of CMA and has included it in it's arsenal therefore you could easily spend a lifetime of study on it and still find something new.
Last edited by CaliG on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby xingyijuan on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:22 pm

Geez, for the life of me I can't remember why TaiJi is his personal favorite. I did tell us once! What I can remember him saying though is something like: "Xingyi is my bones, Bagua is my veins and TaiJi is my skin". I'm sure there's something of what CaliG said too.

xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:16 pm

He said to me that he prefers taiji because it has the highest level principles.
That does not take any validity away from bagua or xingyi, but taiji is just way more complex and profound of an art.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan